Sapiens Grow Journal: LED + DWC + ACAPULCO GOLD

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by sapien, Dec 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Can't wait to see these guys get started. What type of led light are you using?? I'm thinking if possibly doing an led experiment with some LEDs from a local company called Lush Lighting. Would love to go the way of led save me a lil $$ vs the 1000w hids I'm running.Sent from my iForgot?

• Like Like x 1
  2. 135W LED Lighthouse Hydro Blackstar UFO

3. ive heard of lush lighting as well. they have a nice instagram haha

Sent from my NSA Surveillance Van http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1263973-Blue-Mystic-Autoflower-CFL-and-LED-Grow

4. What is it supposed to be comparable to? Maybe like a 400 or 600 hid?? It seems to have worked great on your last grow!Sent from my iForgot?

5. #25 sapien, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2013
    Grower's Notes:

December 27th, 2013
    • She's growing fast!
    • planted her in rockwool and placed in grow tent
    • veg photo-period begins at 4pm and ends at 10am (18/6)
    [​IMG]

• The bubble bucket only came with one hole for air hoses, so I had to make 2 more:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm hoping I'll have some cotyledons for the next update!

• Like Like x 1
  6. [quote name="skateee" post="19237904" timestamp="1388171313"]ive heard of lush lighting as well. they have a nice instagram hahaSent from my NSA Surveillance Van http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1263973-Blue-Mystic-Autoflower-CFL-and-LED-Grow[/quote]Yeah they are a local company up here in Oregon and I've talked a lot with the people who created them, and have seen first had the product they produce, wow!! And with as much as it costs to run these hids, I'm thinking the cost of an led setup to save $$ in the long run will be worth it! But for now I'm doing research. Sent from my iForgot?

I believe it to be comparable with a 600w, but with about 80% less consumption of electricity.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nice. The one I've been looking at is like 400w but comparable to a 1000 but that savings is what will be nice. LolSent from my iPad

9. I thought actual watts were actual watts regardless of what light they are coming out of? Like a 400w HPS and a 400w LED will both use 400watts?

I honestly would of thought a 135w LED wouldn't work that well until I saw your last grow haha.

10. #30 PDXToker420, Dec 28, 2013
    Led lights use way less watts, so his led light that he is using has a fairly similar output to that of a 600w hid. Thus in the end his led saved him $$ on elec, but didn't sacrifice anything else. However I would be willing to bet that he may have gotten slightly better results just because of the broad spectrum led lights have. One of the numerous reasons I'm considering led vs traditional hid lighting. Sent from my iForgot?

11. #31 IllestVillain, Dec 28, 2013
    [quote name="PDXToker420" post="19240659" timestamp="1388207157"]Led lights use way less watts, so his led light that he is using has a fairly similar output to that of a 600w hid. Thus in the end his led saved him $$ on elec, but didn't sacrifice anything else. However I would be willing to bet that he may have gotten slightly better results just because of the broad spectrum led lights have. One of the numerous reasons I'm considering led vs traditional hid lighting. Sent from my iForgot?[/quote]But its so expensive!Edit: At first.

12. I guess leds were unheard of but now there becoming more popular for growing. Initial costs seem like a lot still. Plus a hps will pay for itself . If youv got some idea what your doing. How long before they start loosing there out put ? Dwc is different with heat. But a cooler inside the res should work for the nutes . I'm using cococoir and iv had a week long heat wave of 39-44 ℃. My plants are thriving in it. Got good air circ and extraction. And iv got no problems. And the 400watter is about a foot from my plants. It's not air cooled or anything.

So using led because they put out less heat isn't really a positive. Especially through winter lol. Unless youv got a heater etc. My friends have aircons running in there rooms soon as it hits 28℃ . They say it pays for itselff but I don't see the point

13. But that's just my opinion. Just a busted ass Australian using dirty coco haha.
    But ventured away from coco for cloning. Set up a click clack container with a bubbler for them :)
    :exploring:
    Only been 2 days and I think I can see roots lol possibly not tho

Attached Files:

14. Hope all goes well Sapien, I just planted my Acapulco Gold seed yesterday, was thinking about a dwc but im not experienced.. Hope mine comes out as good as yours  :smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  15. [quote name="zakkah" post="19240792" timestamp="1388209390"]I guess leds were unheard of but now there becoming more popular for growing. Initial costs seem like a lot still. Plus a hps will pay for itself . If youv got some idea what your doing. How long before they start loosing there out put ? Dwc is different with heat. But a cooler inside the res should work for the nutes . I'm using cococoir and iv had a week long heat wave of 39-44 ℃. My plants are thriving in it. Got good air circ and extraction. And iv got no problems. And the 400watter is about a foot from my plants. It's not air cooled or anything. So using led because they put out less heat isn't really a positive. Especially through winter lol. Unless youv got a heater etc. My friends have aircons running in there rooms soon as it hits 28℃ . They say it pays for itselff but I don't see the point[/quote]All I run is rdwc. Right now cause of winter my temps stay down at 70-73f under a 1000w. During the summer I had to run an ac just for the room to keep temps down to 72f but that was with a 400, but I think a lot of that was my error. Lol. My main thing is the expense. Cause running a 400w led that has a better overall spectrum than a 1000w hps would save a lot over time. Not to mention the LEDs don't loose their output very fast and a panel will last years vs having to buy new bulbs every year. Just my take tho. Sent from my iForgot?

• Like Like x 1
  16. #36 sapien, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
    Grower's Notes:

January 4th, 2014
    • Plant is 11 days old
    • PH @ 5.8
    • Hi/Low temps @ 71-63
    • Nothing much report on, just letting her do her thing
    • Nutes will start in 10 days
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Life is always better when you've got a grinder full of green

[​IMG]

To Do:
    • Research and prepare for topping and SCROG

• Like Like x 5
  17. Are there any benefits to the gravel?

Lava rocks vs Hydroton?

So far the only thing that I don't like about the lava rocks is the sharp edges. You have to be careful placing them around the fragile seedling stem.

Other than that, they seem to be doing the job just as well as hydroton.

19. yeah i guess they would have more aeration, thanks

20. Sub'd for sure. I'll Def have to check out your other grow. Can't wait to see more

Sent from my LG-P769 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.