Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Using Cannabis for Epilepsy, while on Valporic Acid

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by CupofCoffee, Dec 23, 2013.

1. #1 CupofCoffee, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2013
    Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience smoking weed while on Depakote for Epilepsy.

If this is you, I am interested:

-How often do you smoke?
    - How impaired are you after you smoke?
    - Do you find an interaction between your medication and the cannabis?
    - Do you find control in your seizures?

Here is my story if you want to read:

I am a middle aged male, I was diagnosed with generalized seizures back in junior high. I have tonic-clonic seizures. And although they are severe when they happen, they do not happen often. I normally have about 1 a year, and they are usually caused by sleep deprivation, alcohol, or missed does of medication.

I take a strong dose of Depakote for seizure control everyday. I find it makes me drowsy at times however the medication does work to control my seizures so I need to take it. I would just rely on smoking weed to control my seizures, however for my job I can not be stoned at work. So this is not an option.

The reason I smoke weed is for recreational reasons, while most of my friends can enjoy alcohol (which I love, but need to avoid) I can't. Drunken nights always carry the risk of having a seizure in the morning. However smoking is zero risk.

I am a weekend smoker, so I will usually light up 3-4 times a month depending on life at the time. However here is the thing. I am smoking low-potency weed and I only need one hit to be completely high for about 4 hours. I even feel the effects the next day to some degree, kind of that dreamy feeling.

I'm trying to figure out why I get so stoned off of such little weed! Does Depakote increase the effects?! Do I just naturally react to weed like this?

Any of your experiences I am interested in!

Thanks for your time!

2. I have epilepsy and have since I was 12 I am now 19 and have been smoking pot on a daily basis since I was about 14. The pot not only helps with my seizures that I am also on 4000mg depakote daily. I do not drink because of the risks of having a seizure. I have not noticed any effects of the medication lowering my tolerance and I have been tried on a few others also. Smoking only 3-4 times a month will keep your tolerance low

3. Thanks for the reply alech16. Merry Christmas!

4. Hi Coffee, Welcome to GC!     :gc_rocks:   

I'm "Granny", one of the local "know-it-alls"! lol  And I have a solution for you! What you need is a "high CBD" cannabis! CBD is found in some strains of cannabis, but it does NOT get you high! It is, however, very effective for seizures (and much more)!

Families of children with epilepsy moving to Colorado, drawn by success of marijuana oil          (news – 2013)
    http://gazette.com/families-of-children-with-epilepsy-moving-to-colorado-drawn-by-success-of-marijuana-oil/article/1507895#AZpGzkjtp6Hzx785.99

Charlotte's Web Of Suffering: Six-Year-Old Colorado Girl With Dravet Syndrome Finds Relief From Marijuana High In CBD         (news – 2013) http://www.marijuana.com/news/2013/06/charlottes-web-of-suffering-six-year-old-colorado-girl-with-dravet-syndrome-finds-relief-from-marijuana-high-in-cbd/

Cannabidiol exerts anti-convulsant effects in animal models of temporal lobe and partial seizures.        (abst – 2012)         http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22520455

Cannabidiol Displays Antiepileptiform and Antiseizure Properties In Vitro and In Vivo      (full - 2010)       http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2819831/?tool=pmcentrez

These guys have a lot of info on CBD   - http://www.projectcbd.org/home-2/plant/strain-library/

And may I offer you a free copy of my "Granny Storm Crow's List"? It has a nice-sized section on cannabinoids treating epilepsy that might interest you. To get your copy, just check out the bottom of my sig, or just PM me your email address.

Granny

5. Can't help with the medication interaction but for what it's worth I used to have monthly and sometimes bimonthly SPS's usually after a poor sleep.  Mainly just intense persisting dejavu, nausea and less frequently brief blackouts. I am not medicated for them by choice because they are unpleasant more than anything else.  The thing is if I have a good amount of decent indica in my possesion and can blaze often ( UK so not always available ) I don't get them.  I get times when I'm blazed where I think it might happen but it never comes to anything.  The weed does help me sleep and maybe this is why it helps?  but It's interesting that the Dr was quite willing to put me on who knows what chemical to stop them happening but If i told him I was using weed daily he would freak out.

6. Hi "Granny"

Thanks for your reply!

I am aware of high CBD - low THC cannabis, but I can't find any!! I live in Canada, and even if I were to get my medicinal card I think I would find a hard time finding this strain.

Would you happen to know where I could buy seeds to grow this stuff? It would be a dream come true if I could control my epilepsy without medication that cause numerous side effects.

7. I don't have seizures, but do have spinal cord damage with chronic inflammation of the cord tissues. Granny, have you encountered people like me treating cord diseases and injuries? I wish there was a consistent way to get very high cbD and low to no thc,a s a treatment option. Thc is helpful for the worst of the pain, but it seems CBD is most calming and effective.

8. I too am in Canada and I get the high cbd strain from Medrelief with a medical card and script from the doctor.  It is expensive though.
    My son uses 1 gm per day and it costs just over $300 per month.  This cost is with a discount.
    What I would like to know is how to make an oil or tincture using the high cbd.  The smoking point is higher with cbd and I don't know whether to decarb first or use a magical butter machine or what?  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

chickinpic