Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Should I tell my Grandfather I smoke?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by LovingTree, Dec 21, 2013.

1. My Grandfather took care of me when I was younger, because my parents were facing a divorce at the time.

My grandfather just had his wife taken away from him, from a coma. I know it's not the best time to tell him something like this, but I feel that I want to be honest with him and communicate towards him.

Today, I got a Christmas card in the mail from him, and a check. In the card, he wrote "It was good to hear from you on the phone."

This makes me guilty, and it makes me want to write, and communicate to him more. But when I want to communicate to him, I also want to tell him how I smoke marijuana, and how it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

What do you guys think? Would you tell your grandparents you smoke? I don't want that statement to damage our great relationship.

2. The issue is nobody on here truly understands your family situation like you do. Us GC members do not have the experience with your grandfather that you have and thus any answer you receive on here has the potential to be the worst possible answer. 

The ONLY person who can truly answer this is yourself, learn to trust your instincts young padawan and meditate on the issue. On a thread like this you are just going to get a bunch of yes and no's which will only make things worse.

3. Is it the only thing you have to communicate?

Give GC some credit. Some will try to help him find an answer, instead of just thinking we can give it to him..

5. That's good advice. I will take some time to think about it.
    No, but I want to see how he will react, and how he treats me after. Also, it's apart of my life, I don't want to hide any part of my life towards someone who cares a lot about me.

6. True but I have seen so many threads like this filled with basic answers that could lead a person astray so easily. And it isn't like I am not trying to help OP, I am in my own way. I guess I just feel people need to decide these kinds of things using their own judgement. Advice can be helpful, I am not denying that, but the wrong advice in this situation could be disastrous. I think the answer is deep within OP's conscience and will manifest itself in due time.

It's not being hidden if it doesn't come up in conversation. :p

8. Are you feeling guilty because you're smoking and you feel he would be against it and you're doing the wrong because he took.care of you?

or because you're going to spend that check on bud?

Anyways, why do you feel guilty? Do you do immoral things that's relevant to bud?

9. I imagined your sig was saying that...haha hilarious :smoke:

10. Marijuana is not something to feel guilty for, in fact I think other people should feel guilty for trying to make stoners feel guilty. There is nothing wrong with smoking weed, but if your grandfather is against it there's probably no changing that, as he's had plenty of time to solidify his own opinion and anti-weed propaganda was even worse back then.

I agree with whoever said nobody here understands your family situation, but here's my personal opinion:
    Don't tell him unless you know for sure he's okay with it (Maybe get into recent news and eventually ask him if he supports the legalization of marijuana and go from there). I know there's a lot of people that preach honesty, but the truth (Pun not intended) is lying or withholding the truth can be the better option. Right now you have nothing to feel bad for, you smoke a natural plant, that's it. If you don't tell him, nothing happens. If you do tell him, you run the risk of worrying him, pissing him off, or even damaging your relationship. I say don't tell him unless you know he's chill.

11. Hon, you know him best. One thing to consider- was he a hippie "back in the day", or was he a more of a "Nixon Youth" type? I would start communicating with him and ask him what it was like when he was your age. You will have a better idea how, or if, you should proceed once you know more about a few of his youthful escapades!

Build your relationship so it is even stronger, then after a couple of months, tell him you use cannabis, if you are going to.  He is grieving right now, and the news that his grandchild is "using drugs" is NOT something you want to burden him with right now!  This Christmas is going to be hell for him and you are his one ray of light and joy. He gave you the love and care you needed when you were young and in a bad situation. Time to return the favor.

Tell him about all the good things in your life, your accomplishments, your grades if in college, how you have friends and are enjoying your life. This will do two things- first, he will take joy in your happiness and forget his grief for a moment. Secondly when you do tell him, you can point out that all that happy, fulfilling life you have is being done with cannabis.

If you do decide to tell him, be prepared to counter all of the old prohibitionist myths. Those lies have been taught for longer than I have been on this earth and a lot of folks believe them!  My "Granny Storm Crow's List" can be helpful. Having articles and medical studies supporting the facts can give you the edge.  I'll send a free copy of my List to everyone who asks for it! All you have to do is send me an email (bottom of my sig). If you are on an app that doesn't show sigs, just PM me your email address.

If your grandfather has any ailments, a recent article from my List on how cannabis can help that problem, can be your "icebreaker". (You just "happened upon it while rambling around on the net". :rolleyes: )   If he has diabetes, (as an example) this one would do-

Marijuana Users Have Better Blood Sugar Control       (news – 2013) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130515085208.htm

Hope that helps.

Granny

12. I posted something about my medical card on facebook and APPARENTLY one of my aunts told my grandmother. I was in town for Thanksgiving and she was like "So I heard you got your medical marijuana card". 

My other grandmother is in a nursing home and can barely communicate and comprehend. Grandpas are long gone. 

My entire extended family knows I do it and I've never really felt shameful getting a little high around them. 

Yes but keep in mind most people aren't lucky enough to have family like that.

14. Should Your Aging Parent Try Medical Marijuana?          (news/ anecdotal – 2013)
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolynrosenblatt/2013/08/27/should-your-aging-parent-try-medical-marijuana/?ss=forbeswoman

Medical marijuana helps senior sleep, contend with other problems of aging 
    (news – 2013)     http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/seniors/Medical+marijuana+helps+senior+sleep+contend+with+other/8439474/story.html

Reefer tokin' seniors in South Florida see pain go up in smoke        (news – 2012)
    http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-07-23/news/fl-toking-oldsters-20120723_1_reefer-pain-seniors

Seniors Benefit Most From Medical Marijuana          (news – 2012)
    http://www.doobons.com/blog/2012/04/18/seniors-benefit-most-from-medical-marijuana/

NORML's Eleven Surprising Things About Marijuana That Seniors Need to Know
    (news – 2012)     http://www.theweedblog.com/senior-citizens-need-to-know-the-truth-about-marijuana/

You sound like a 9th grader who just got introduced to weed two weeks ago and you think you are so different and deep thinking now and want to share your passion and love of the almighty herb to everyone you're close to.

So, no. Dont tell him. You don't realize how this isn't even close to being a problem. Someday you will. Trust me. I felt the same way when I first started. Almost told my whole family but my cousin stopped me. I thank him at every holiday now.

Plus, when no one in the family knows, its so much more fun to smoke at get togethers with other similar aged family members (and still get that "sneaky teen during first few months of smoking" feeling that we all love and, for some of us, miss) because none of the adults know you smoke.

16. #17 LovingTree, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2013

Actually I have been smoking for many years now. Maybe even longer than you :smoke:

Thanks for your advice, tho

17. It's not really necessary for him too know and he probably wouldn't be too thrilled because his generation saw weed differently.

18. #19 flickyourbic, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2013

Lol fuck off and get off the high horse you pompous dick. I'm sorry you're too much of a chicken shit to be upfront and honest with your own family. The day I was upfront and honest about EVERYTHING with my family is the day that life got much easier with them. To the point where I can tell my family that a 42 year old crazy milf cougar is stalking me and WTF should I do about it. I got different advice from my mom, dad and sister. Most people would be shameful or embarassed but I don't really give a shit. 

Hiding these kinds of things is just immature and stupid. My ex-girlfriend got caught smoking at her parent's house and she STILL denied/lied about it. I got so upset with her and was like "Just fucking tell them. They already suspect it, gurantee they know you're lying as well, just be upfront and honest". Well she wouldn't do it so guess the stupid bitch's mom would call her all the time to "check up on her" and all this stupid shit. 

You can get your point across without resorting to name calling and disrespect. - Chunk

19. Why are the staff members so fucking goddamn sensitive on here?!

Seriously I fucking hate the internet nowadays. Everything is so goddamn serious and everybody gets so fucking offended and butthurt.