Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabutter, The Right Way

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by CannabutterPro, Dec 20, 2013.

1. I think you have some confusion, you use coconut oil or butter if you prefer cheaper butter. And you ADD Soy Lecithin POWDER or GRANULES to that oil. By adding the powder it breaks down thc into smaller molecules making it
    more bioavailable.

2. "If you do not have the luxury, you now place the herb into the double boiler with melted and clarified butter. Also add 1 Tablespoon of Soy Lecithin per stick of butter (so 10 Tbsp. for me). Soy Lecithin is available at health stores and is very cheap, it greatly increases the ability of THC to be transferred into the butter, creating danker butter. Do not overheat, the mixture should be hot with an occasional bubble, do not fully simmer and certainly do not boil. You may see occasional vapors of steam coming off, that is okay because it is the terpenes burning off, not THC, however if they become excessive lower the heat. If you have a thermometer keep it between 230-240 Degrees F. Do this for 15-25 minutes (starting from when butter reaches right temperature) depending on how much butter while stirring vigorously. Once finished let cool for 10 minutes then pour into a storage container and freeze overnight. This allows for more transfer of THC to occur. "
    this is the process I was talking about. left out the soy lecithin oil part.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Soy Lecithin is not an oil dude. :) It comes in granules or powder, haven't seen a liquid form. Google it, its an extract that makes you absorb everything and anything better.

Sent from my U9200 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. I did double boiler method and used a half o . 2 1/2 sticks of butter ended up with a cup of cannabutter and now I'm making cookies wish me luck :)

I jerk off inside books and give life to words

5. Good luck let me know how it goes

6. thanks I hope it comes our well I did everything by the book

I jerk off inside books and give life to words

7. I found soy lecithin in oil form here in my town.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

8. Hmm thats weird, dont use it though. We use oils with high fat content and a lot of long and medium chain fatty acids like Coconut oil. Soy Lecithin powder acts as a great emulsifier to promote bioavailability of the thc, it is not however a good solvent for thc.

9. do you have a thread on making oils/tincatures? I'm all about new ways if ingesting weed. smoking just ain't cuttin it anymore. I made some firecrackers that were pretty good and quick.

10. The original post is how to make butter, but in another post i replied to someone and explained how to make coconut cannaoil, its simple use my same recipe but cook the oil, herb, and soil lecithin at about 220 degrees F for 90 minutes, freeze then cook again at 220 F for 90 minutes then its ready. Tinctures you have to find another thread im sorry, try BadKats Cannapharm.

11. are soy lecithin granules the same as the powder?

12. yes, they are basically just the powder form compacted into larger pieces, instead of a powder its like small little balls of soy lecithin, works the same.

woOoooooowwwwww............... first time decarbing I was high all day long. But t hen again I used mabey 3 grams in a big firecraker....my stuff always works no doubt but adding the decarbing I was wrong not to listen the first time..
    I actually passed out for a bit 220 4 20 was what  I used /then cooked nutella and the greens between honeyoat crakers 250 4 20 min def will do again mabey not so much this time 

14. CannabutterPro, I just purchased a magical butter 2 And have not yet used it! If you could give me some advice.

If you're making, say, coconut oil or butter and want to make less is that possible? Like instead of 2lbs of butter or coconut oil, 1lbs and add bud according to the dose you want? From my understanding if you put your fatty acid under the minimum fill line it will not work properly. Also, if you're under your minimum fill line you can top off with water, freeze after, then scrape frozen water off? However, cooking water with oil decrease absorption of THC into your oil.

I'm I pro stove top canna oil maker and actually use an identical method you use. Through my experience's and experiments these steps, that you have described previously, are the fundamental stepping stones of maximizing your buds value.

Ganja green, supreme

15. soooooooo good

16. Havent looked at the thread in a while, but glad you found it helpful. An interesting sidenote you may find helpful, im not recommending this because it is undoubtedly gross, but decarbed herb can be eaten alone to get high. It wont get you nearly as high as the herbs potential, but this may be important to you because you should be able to cut down your cooking time on the firecracker and still get the same results. Just a thought.

17. Sorry I took extremely long to reply, but hopefully you have figured everything out. I wouldnt recommend using less basically because they say not to. Im not sure what, if anything, would happen, however im not willing to test it and somehow break the machine. I will tell you though that your oil or butter does not have to reach the minimum line. When you add the herb it will no doubt increase the volume inside the container. As long as it reaches the line or at least close to it once all ingredients are added, you should be fine.

If you want to add water to top it off you can,
    you understand the potential for less absorption so as long as you are fine with that go ahead. While freezing is a necessary step to improve bioavailability of the THC, you should not freeze it with the water. If you have the extra time
    or patience, place it in the fridge so the oil solidifies and the water is still liquid which can then be much more easily poured out instead of scraped. Once you pour out the water, you may then place the oil in the freezer, which since already solidified, will freeze much quicker, id say within 2 hours depending on the volume.

18. yeah thats pretty gross.....I do add my vaped herb to pb and jam its wonderfull

19. CannabutterPro, thanks for that thorough explanation of your process. I've made pretty poor cannabutter once, but this is my first try to do it seriously well. I've read this whole thread, and the threads following several other detailed explanations of makers'processes that differ from yours, and I like yours best. But one aspect of your process doesn't make sense to me.

You say to use a double-boiler to hold the solution at 220*F-240*F. But since water boils at 212*F, a double-boiler can't get the solution as hot as 220*F. I figured that was the case theoretically, but I also tested it today in a "dry run." I had water in the bottom half of the double-boiler and coconut oil (without anything else in it) in the top half, and even after an hour, the solution never exceeded 211*F.

If you had, say, canola oil in the bottom half of the double-boiler, you could reach higher temperatures, but you didn't specify that, so I figure you used water, which means you couldn't have gotten your solution above 212*F. So something is wrong here. Could you explain? Thanks.

20. i appreciate this. im preheating oven now.