Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabutter, The Right Way

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by CannabutterPro, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Sighh i typed a whole reply already to you but my phone messed up and it disappeared i guess, always clarify
    you butter or use Ghee butter which is already clarified and youll be fine, but unsalted is best because you want as little extras in the butter as possible for maximum absorption. For buds i use from .35 per brownie to .8, a .35 gets a casual user completely baked and sedated, but a heavy smoker normal stoned. A .8 is good for a very heavy smoker to reach the desired effect of pure sedation. This is of top grade herbs, for trim and frosty stems as long as they are pretty dank use anywhere from a .5 to 2 or even 3 grams. it depends on the person, a .5 would be sufficient for a very occasional user and 2 grams good for a heavy smoker. Find your inbetween, try a gram, but everyone is different so it is hard to say but im giving you a general guideline. Just experiment. Also using coconut oil and the recipe i gave is best. However different process slightly, i didnt post it yet because most people dont want to stand over the stove for hours.

You still decarb the trim or herb, but no need to clarify coconut oil. Coconut oil is best for absorption, use my
    method with the soy lecithin as well however get the oil to 220 defrees F or use the technique above to estimate the temperature by sight. Cook for 90 minutes, freeze overnight, cook another 30 minutes. Thats two hours, cook more and up to 5 hours for a less head high and more body high... you made not feel as high but you will certainly be able to fall asleep if that is your desired effect. With coconut oil especially dont worry about using too much because it will absorb more thc than a human being would ever think to try to transfer to it. Ive seen coconut cannaoil that was put into small capsules...1 ml... and had a half gram of hash absorbed into it, so strong.

By the way i gave you a dosing generalized number for a single use. If you use a .5 dose, and make 12 brownies, use 6 grams in one stick of butter or oiland use that for the brownies. One stick is a 1/4 pound or 112 grams or 4 oz. Good luck and let me know how it goes, either way you want the butter or oil at the end of cooking it to be very very dark brown or black... once it freezes the color is lightened but in liquid form it should be black. If it is, the oil and herb is sufficiently processed. If not, try processing longer and making the stove slightly high if you dont have a thermometer. But i suggest getting one, you dont wanna have to redo it or destroy the thc and lose that precious herb. Also the cooking can be done in the oven in a pyrex dish tightly double sealed in foil or an oven bag, with the foul do not wrap it fully around the container around the bottom, just cover the top and halfway down the side. If you fully wrap it on the bottom it will not get as hot and process correctly. Good luck and let me know how everything goes.

2. What an awesome reply! Haha professional help at it's best! I ended up just going for it the other day before you replied! I did stuff a couple of things up as it was my first time but it all came out pretty damn well , I used 20g trim into 375g of butter , was pretty powerful I don't know what that ends up being per brownie though , when I decarbed it I forgot to put the foil on but i ended up decarbing for 80min on 100 degrees c , I was scared my oven is old and I dont have anything to read the temp so thought id do it lower for longer as I read this also works , one big thing I did wrong was I put it in a double boiler ( the butter to clarify it ) and it didn't get hot enough for any foam to form or any white crap on bottom . I only realized this after I gave up on the double boiler and put it straight onto the stove on a really low temperature and I had already infused the trim with the butter if that makes sense , also I think I chopped up the trim and leaf far to much haha made it hard to get all of it out of butter but I wasn't to fussed . Anyways non the less I think for a first time effort it worked awesome! Most of my friends just boil it on stove with butter I think mine was a tad better than there's that's for sure , I'll be keen to give the oil ago sometime in the near future !

3. Great im glad it worked for you. Yes unfortunately some double boilers are tough to get hot enough, personally in the past when i used mine i had to keep my stove on max and its electric which is hotter than gas. And as far as the decarb goes you dont lost much thc if you dont cover it, its just better. 80 min at 212 works as well, however they do say decarb at 220 but i do it at 240 because i found it works better. I feel the bud doesnt get the right temperature unless i make it slightly hotter than i want it to be.

4. Have you guys tried using a magic butter? Does everything for you. Just press a button and come back a few hours later. Makes everything. Decarbs and all.

5. yeah I did do a bit of reading on them after it being mentioned , I only ever make butter once every 3 months or so and the process really isn't that hard without a magic butter :)

6. If you read my post before commenting on it you'd see i mentioned it in the very first post. Its great and all if you dont wanna be stuck in the kitchen, but thats all its good for, it does not decarb and does not clarify butter in the way we mean it. Yes technically heating and cooking the butter/oil and herb does decarb it and does clarify the butter....to the most
    minute extent, the magical butter does it no more than it would in your pot on the stove. It is insufficient and herb decarboxylates in dry heat not moist, and clarifying the butter includes removing th milk solids, not just removing the water content which by the way occurs by heating butter in any vessel. Let me make it clear that for best results when using a magical
    butter you still need to decarb and clarify. The magical butter is ONLY good for accurately holding a certain temperature for a certain amount
    of time. Youd get the same results doing it yourself, its just the lazy man (like me) way.

7. #27 Rezerg, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
    Read this. You obviously don't know exactly what your doing or are doing it wrong.

This is my lazy way

"Decarboxylation occurs naturally with time and temperature, as a function of drying, but we can shorten the amount of time required considerably, by adding more heat.  The more heat, the faster it occurs, within reasonable ranges, and in fact occurs spontaneously when the material is burned or vaporized.
    There is another mechanism at play however, which suggests that we need to control the decarboxylation temperatures carefully.
    When we heat cannabis to convert the THCA and CBDA into THC and CBD, we are also converting THC to CBN at a faster rate.  At about 70% decarboxylation, we actually start converting THC to CBN at a faster rate than we are converting THCA to THC, so as you can see by the following graph, after about 70% decarboxylation, the levels of THC actually start to fall sharply.''

''Another fly in the ointment, is that we can never know for sure exactly what the starting state of decarboxylation is, so the times at temperature shown on the graphs are an average.''

The link to this is below. When you apply heat to cannabis, you are decarbing it. Even at low temperatures, other things are turning into THC. One point is obvious though.

''At about 70% decarboxylation, we actually start converting THC to CBN at a faster rate than we are converting THCA to THC, so as you can see by the following graph, after about 70% decarboxylation, the levels of THC actually start to fall sharply.''

So then if you decarb too much, you'll be losing THC. The magic butter does in fact decarb. Its been tested and proven (on the mb2 anyways, I never tried the mb1) and I just found where it states in fact the first version does not decarb but the second and up do and heres the website for you http://www.pot.com/magical-butter-review/ this is a review of the second one where the reviewer also had the first and confirms that it does decarb (v2)

just to add to the post, this is straight from high times.

"The key chemical reaction involved in doing it right takes place when cannabis is combined with your chosen fat and heated at a low temperature (<span>200ºF to 250ºF </span>) for no less than twenty minutes, and ideally up to an hour or more, stirring often. Long-held hippie wisdom dictates simmering the butter or oil for up to eight hours, but this is difficult to accomplish without a Crock-Pot. Anyway, after sixty minutes you can rest assured that most of the THC molecules will have left the plant matter and migrated to the butter or oil. The process is called “decarboxylation,” which describes a chemical reaction that converts non-psychoactive THC acid found in the raw plant into psychoactive THC. Cooking cannabis over high heat for too long will degrade the THC, hurting potency, which makes using a double boiler or Crock-Pot vital.'' http://www.hightimes.com/read/cannabis-kitchen

The last link is just in case anyone is still wondering what I'm talking about.

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/

8. Heres a study thats enough to prove how you should decarb. http://www.marijuanagrowershq.com/decarboxylating-cannabis-turning-thca-into-thc/ And i do know what im talking about been doin this a long time and i own a magical butter. If you visit BadKats Cannapharm
    you will see that she says the same thing i am saying. and knowing her background i trust her and this study
    more than the ones youve showed me. Her and the study i posted are just way more credible. Heres numbers and a post by BadKitty that proves you are wrong. You can argue i dont care im
    here to try to share facts not compare dicksize.

Now that the devices are becoming popular many users have recently been sharing lab results displaying fewer than 20% - 40% decarboxylated cannabinoids even after 3 x 2hr intervals (6hrs total) and full 8 hour runs in the butter machine at the high temp setting, as seen in a cannabinoid profile chart from a patient in CA.

"Magic Butter Run
    Serving Size: 1 Dropper Full = 1.02g
    0.03mg CBG-A
    0.12mg CBG
    0.15mg CBG-TOTAL
    1.05mg ∆9-THC-A
    0.62mg ∆9-THC
    < 0.01mg ∆8-THC
    < 0.01mg CBN
    1.67mg THC-TOTAL
    0.02mg CBD-A
    < 0.01mg CBD
    0.02mg CBD-TOTAL
    0.02mg CBC
    0.76mg ACTIVATED-TOTAL
    ∆9THC + ∆8THC + CBN + CBD + CBG + CBC "

Being a heated blender is convenient.... but keep in mind, that it's still just a container, heated to a certain temperature.

The heating performance and the heat created by the trendy butter making devices is no different or better than any other heat source, the magic butter container does not magically decarb any more, or less, or any faster or slower, than the same herb in the exact same environment in a double boiler, or in the oven.
    This is why in all those cases, including the magic butter machine, pre-grinding and decarbing beforehand is still the optimal, fastest, and most effective method to ensure complete decarboxylation in a reasonable amount of time. It's also worth noting that, for the same reason that canning jars are intended to vent out, and not hold steam and vapors under heat and pressure, the Magic Butter machines also do vent some steam and odor; the more fragrant the starting material, the more odor will be detected.

If you need odor control:

Instead use an oven bag or a few layers of flexible foil; you can seal in and preserve terpenes and aromatics even better, and all by simply using any heat safe container you have at your disposal. The oven bag (or a convex wrapping of foil that will bow outwards with heat) can expand with the heat and terpene vapors more than a completely firm container, then the expanded seal, vapors and all, condense once cooled.

Back to decarboxylation, a brief 25 - 30 minute exposure to dry heat will encourage a rate of decarboxylation, that hours of the same temperature while submerged in oil can not. Decarboxylation occurs readily and at a much faster pace when exposed to dry air and oxygen. We encourage a fair amount of decarboxylation before soaking the plant matter, to ensure a fast and complete decarb without relying on an overly extended heating process in the oil or butter, which, besides devoting more time heating than necessary, can for some people produce too much degradation and CBN where the metabolic action resulting in CBN formation via THC degradation is not as hindered by submersion in lipids as the release of carboxylic acid. While 6 hours mixed in butter or oil at nearly 250 F in the butter machine can leave more than two-thirds of your cannabinoids inactive, a quick 30 minute dry decarb will produce fully active cannabinoids, after just a 2 hour oil extraction at only 220F.

The freezing cycle that some refer to, further ensures bioavialability after extraction; eating extracted cannabis glandular material is all well and good, but for the same reason we get better effects from an edible hash oil made with butter or oil than we do by popping pure active hash and concentrates, ensuring full bioavailability in oil when making canna oil direct from flowers, by taking steps that go beyond simple extraction and that actually encourage rapid and complete digestion, also gets you more bang for your buck. By completing simple steps and processing properly, rather than cutting corners and using simple devices and hoping for the best, you can cut down on your required dosage size while increasing the strength and length of your edible experience.

It's not at all that the machines don't work, they do! Like many of the add-butter-and-weed-to-a-heat-source and wait-x-hours methods, they perform a certain amount of extraction, and they allow for a certain amount of active material to be present in the solvent of your choice.

But don't give them more credit than they merit, where a container in the oven or a double boiler performs the exact same task... going even further to allow you to take advantage of a dry decarb.... and while providing a broader range of times and temperatures to choose from, to boot!

When patients have asked about the butter machines, if they have the cash I say go for it, "just so long as you're still prepared to decarb first to save time and potency, and prepare to still do most of the straining by hand".

Otherwise, when the butter machines come up I just recommend using the tools we already have access to, or better, buying one of the simple $25-30 dollar, two to four cup electric french presses and espresso machines they're based on. The electric french presses even come with a neat little straining and plant-matter-agitation aide.

Anyhoo, just make sure you understand what the machines actually are, and how they compare to any container that you can heat using any other heat source, before hoping you've found a magic solution to making oil easily.

9. #29 CannabutterPro, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2014
    And by the way, exactly what made you think that submerging herb into butter in that blender with nothing but a blade to mix with and a temperature node was any different at all to submerging butter in a pot on the stove and heating it to the same
    temperature while stirring. Logically it makes no sense that anyone would believe the magical butter decarbs more than a pot on the stove. it is literally the same thing, what does the blender do? magically talk to the thca and decarboxylate it into thc? i know its called
    magical butter but did you really think it performed magic?

By the way those numbers are AFTER the magical butter did its work, all
    that acid that couldve been made psychoactive smh.... and dont say you werent saying the magical butter wasnt any better than a pot and stove method. And just because im slapping you around right now with the right facts doesnt mean that im
    trying to be a dick. I just needed to prove my case to prevent users from being
    misguided when reading the thread. After all i posted this to clarify a correct method that takes different sources to put together. Good luck on whatever method you choose to utilize.

10. #30 Rezerg, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2014
    The entire arguement wasn't about how well it decarb, but that it decarb at all. The rest of your statement I'm not getting into. It works better than a crock pot or double broiler  because you get a steady temp without having to watch it, don't need to stir blah blah. The argument here was if it decarbs. Ive proven it does so, so there is nothing left to discuss. Heat at specific temperatures, decarb the goods. The mb1 did not get hot enough to decarb. The mb2 does. This is also specified on their website, Facebook, high times, 420 magazine, whatever you want to look at, reviews from other people. Its obvious the patient in which you speak used a temperature which exceeds the decarb needed and broke down the THC content, which is what occurs when things become too hot.....

If you went to the link at which it specifies the temperatures which decarb the best, you would've seen the part where too high or too low and you get wasted material. This again is a one up from a double cooker.

Also, if you do not use soy lecithin, then you're not doing it correctly just as a side note.

You comparing this anywhere near to the oven method is just ridiculous and does not help your case.

And you realize that you haven't proven anything yet.... you make me think that you're still using the mb1. The only person you're slapping around is yourself.

11. Lol i proved dry decarb is necessary and heat no matter what way it is created willcproduce a perfect cannaoil. Whether its a campfire or a magical butter, as long as the oil and herb get to the proper temp and is agitated for the same amount of time, it will produce the same results. Dry decarb is the way to decard, the study and badkat prove that. I never said the magical butter doesn't decarb, i said it doesnt decarb sufficiently as proven by lab results. Decarb for even 8 hours in the magical butter still did not decarb more than 40%. Dry decarb gets you up to 99% without degrading THC, sorry but you did get smacked.

12. Hey CannabutterPro, great thread.

I'm planning on making some cannabutter soon for the first time using roughly close to 2 zips of fairly good dank. I feel like I will have a difficult time putting the weed in the oven before hand to decarb the budness. Ive read other places that this step is not necessary when cooking the bud into the butter. Is it that important, if I do that Will it give me a more heady high compared to if I do not do it, more of a huge body numbing effect? Does decarbing reduce the body high at all? 

Also I have about a zip of vaped bud, I was thinking about about adding this with my 2 zips to make a batch with about 2 1/4 lbs of butter... Decent idea or would I be better off just doing a batch of butter for only the vaped weed. 

My goal is to make these brownies fairly fucking strong.

13. Decarbing is definitely necessary, a few months ago i had made
    my first batch in about a month and forgot to decarb:( when i felt how the high was i knew i did something wrong then realized. You should always decarb and it enhances all aspects of the high because it activates all the cannabinoids not just thc. During the coolong process you determine the type of high, cook for a shorter period around 90 minutes for a good cerebral high and decent body high, cook for up to 5 hours and each hour longer you cook it, the head high is less and the body stone is more, 2 hours is a good median. This works great for coconut oil, i suggest using that i explained it in one of my
    posts in this thread. Using the vaped bud is a good idea and doesnt need decarbing. It will only enhance the potency, just not the flavor. Good luck and let me know how you do.

14. Don't forget to add soy lecithin as it has been proven to quicken the process as well as helping potency. You don't need to decarb for butter as the cooking process its going to go through will do it for you. 1 zip per 2 lbs unsalted butter is what's usually suggested. You want to make sure your material can be completely covered by whatever you're extracting the THC into. If you're usin the double cooker method, Keep a very close eye if you use that much as it will burn very easily so, lots of stirring!

To the other guy that keeps wanting to argue, I don't care anymore man. You're one of those guys that just have to proof themselves even when proven wrong, so I'm just going to leave it where it is and tell you to do more homework... better.... heat alone is proficient at doin the decarb. There are things you can do to make the decarb process better like adding lecithin or fat or using alcohol by itself and make a strong tincture. Do you have any links with the results from using all of these materials? Then you don't have an accurate argument, just an opinion or the opinion of someone else opinion. Unless you have actually specifically tried all of these way which you obviously haven't. You're wasting your breath and time.

15. Thank you for repeating the information already in the original post. And you can continue to deny i showed you proof, its proven on paper and in my experience, oh and badkittysmiles only the top edible cook on the website and internationally known, but hey you can be stubborn and think you're right. If you dont care then stop posting on the thread thank you.

16. #36 canabor, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
    This is a great thread butterman! Don't let the stubborn people get to you, just make sure they don't misguide others. :)

I'm in the process of making a mini batch right now, using your + badkats method combined. A question:

I decarbed the herb powdered on a glass dish, covered with foil on 220F for 30m + i let it sit in the oven for another 15m.
    The end result I get is that the powder becomes kinda sticky.... Alarming! Did it overheat and produced the oils?

Edit:

Froze the oil overnight after 60m cooking time, took it out after 30m to add another table spoon of lecithin. Here is the picture of how it looks after overnight freeze:
    [​IMG]

Does that look wrong to you? About to cook it for another 30m at 225F.

End result:
    [​IMG]

Doesn't look that black or oily to me... Severely undercooked or whatttt

17. Thanks a lot man, im glad to hear you will be trying it. Over decarbing wont make it sticky. That would only make
    it extremely dry, maybe you didnt decarb enough because of your ovens temp control? Did you wrap the foil all the way around the top and bottom of the dish? if you did that the herb will not heat up enough. Maybe there was something on the dish still that released when heated? thats all i can think of. And your oil actually looks good, color is right, you should strain it now, and are those
    large stems? you should chop them up as well. Good luck and let
    me know how it came out. From the way it
    sounds it should be pretty damn good, what dose did you use?

18. #38 canabor, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2014

Aye no problem, thank you for sharing. Andddd dammm, seems like I didnt decarb it enough. I made sure the foil just covers the top and goes down the sides 1cm. So actually it was just barely sealed, and nicely spread over a large round glass dish(ovensafe of course). When I took it out it smelled really really strong and nice because it's a sativa, Jamaican Pearl. I guess the strong smell was all the terpenes evaporating. I thought that would be enough.

I'm using the oil for gel pills, that's why I didn't strain it. Yeah those stems the Magic Bullet I used didn't get. The rest blended into a nice sticky powder.

I'm using mt plant bit by bit for now to make sure I got the recipe right(and so far seems like I didnt). So this batch in the pictures is 4g ground herb in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 2 teaspoons of lecithin.

The end result, I made my friend take 6 pills which is equivalent to "using" 0.6g of plant matter or so. He got a pretty mellow body high, strong munchies and then proceeded to pass out. So they do work, but I would like to extract all the THC as well as CBDs and CBNs...

Hmmm... I'm thinking of trying this method I found linked in this thread. Made by some guys in a lab, basically what they're suggesting is "submerged decarb" because that way you can monitor the process vs doing it the dry way you don't really know how much to hold it in because your weed does not come the same at all times. Unless you grow and cure yourself. Anyways, the method is simple, heat oil to 250f(i went and bought a digital food thermometer for this), add herb, stir. When it starts to bubble, that's CO2 escaping, so now we know what stage of decarbing its at. Their lab results show that decarbing over 70% starts degrading THC faster so when the oil starts to bubble, that's around perfect time to get most THC out of it. I feel like it's worth a try, because dry decarb might've screwed me over two time now.

19. I used this method and it worked pretty well. I did not use the soy lecithin oil bc I could not find it the day of making. I baked the brownies in a 13x9 pan.. such made them a lil thinner. I got a strong body high off 3 brownies.. they were thinner and I'm an everyday smoker, and I used real good bud. next time I will use the soy lecithin oil and and shorter pan for fatter more potent brownies. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

20. Interesting, try the submerged decarb if you want, personally I havent tried it because this method works perfect for me. Also 2 tsp of soy lecithin is too much for 2 tablespoons of oil, use just a pinch like 1/4 tsp for that amount.