Skys Winter Run

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by SkyKing65, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Hope she snaps out of it Sky. The new growth looks like it coming in good.

I'd pop another seed for back-up.

I've had plants start like that and it was from my soil being over-amended (too hot).   just thinking out loud

are you feeding any?

2. Thanx X_p.  Yeah, think out loud, I almost expect you to.  I feed her a light dose of FF 6-4-4.  I'm hoping she's just a slow starter and will catch up.  It would be interesting to see what's happening under that dirt.  This grow is somewhat experimental, just to see if I can grow in the chill of the winter months with my set-up.  So far it seems feasable, even though she took her sweet ass time to get going.  I have a seedling pad coming, which I'll need as I lift the light (heat source).  Hindsight is for assholes, but, next time I'll use that pad from the very beginning.     

3. Hey SK,
    Sorry if you've answered this already but whats your daytime high temp and night time low? I know you have a space heater...are you running it at night to counter the low temp?

When i ran my outdoor greenhouse last winter, I ran a heater at night on a timer. Worked good for a while until the winds tore holes in the plastic.

4. Yeah ddd, I remember that one. :smoking:

mine are in a basement that's kinda heated.

probly 55-60 deg. 

they are doing good so far. if it got much under 50 I'd add some heat. It's cold here but not like in Cleveland cold.
    close maybe :eek:

gotta remember that outdoor grows can  get kinda chilly and they survive usually. jmo

you should be good Sky :metal:

5. Yeah, I managed to keep the temps in operable range and they bushed out just fine. Once the night chill got in though from those holes, the N locked up quick and they went downhill quick.

Aw man, that sucks what happened with your greenhouse, but you are not alone - as maybe you have already found out.  
    Okay, here's the deal --- my house stays at 68-70, my tent stays at 68 with the light on, but drops to 61-63 at lights out, because my tent is in my chilly basement.  I think that, that much of a drop and back up again is freeking her out causing the stress that keeps her dwarfed.  Naaa, I just made that up - it sounded good.  I don't use the heater cause it's too dry in there already. It's also awful expensive to use.  I have a seedling heat mat on the way, and I hope to add at least a few degrees to the root system with it.  Right now for humidity I rely on a minimal amount of run-off that I leave in the tray to evaporate.  However, this growing in 68ish temps really does take it's toll on a tropical plant such as weed.  Shit, she's only 1/4 in size that she would be in a summer grow.  BTW, I believe you mentioned that the chill is benificial???  In what way?
    Thanx for stickin around, good company
    Later
    Sky 

7. :confused:  I must have overlooked this one.  Too bad my plant cant read X, cause that was encouraging.  You thru me off with that 55-60 degrees though.  Seems too cold.  Mine is having a hell of a time in 61-68F, but yeah, she does seem to be adjusting.  Perhaps my plan is working so far, ins.
    About them outdoor grows - the chilling reality is (oops!) that, their cold snaps usually hit well after their root systems are already gigantic.  Ours, yours and mine, have to continually produce a sufficient root system in a constant cold snap for the life of the plant, and, that's a pretty tough call for a tropical plant.  Differences in growth pattern or plant loss I sorta expect.  However, a dwarf was not on my list.  I'm hoping the ganja spirits are listening to me.  Later,
    Have a great day,
    Sky   

8. Thanx for that little tid bit MrD.  However, when you get a chance - I know what N is, but I can only guess on the "locked up".  Maybe I'm havin that problem with my plant, idk.  And if so, should I be on the lookout for yellowing?  

9. Sorry to get back so late. I meant to reply last nigt to your question of cooler temps being beneficial. Pissy couple of days at work lately...anyhow, I dont know why but Ive heard people talk about lower temps helping to keep node spacing tighter...might be a bunch of bs for all I know TBH. I THINK thst it might have something to do with lower temps slowing plant grow...in which case, it could be a detriment to yeild in the end also.

As for the issue with N lock up, I was taught that low temp will slow down a plants ability to process it and also low temps will alter nitrogen to whatever extent. I have to go back and research it again. You would know out when you saw it though. The leaves literally turn dark purple to black. its a generaly advised to go light on readily soluble N in colder conditions for this reason. I hope this makes sense?

Happy Friday bro. Viole more hours and I'm of to roll a fat one!

10. Sorry, I dont know why my last post says "viole" or whatever. It was meant to say "couple more hours".

Anyhow, on subject of N again....Ill try to link it to you later when I get to my computer. The subject for reference though is called "nitrification". You can google something along the lines of soil nitrification and its affect on plants at low temps. Like I said, you would know if it was bad enough to hurt your plants.

11. thats the normal temp. lights off

It's not too cold, but i'm sure they could do better with some additional heat. 

Just don't want too add a heater unless absolutely necessary.  cheap ol' bastard :laughing:

so far it's doing good in my little box.

lights on:  I don't really know..seems to be about 78-82.  need a good themometer for exact degrees.

I'm trying to learn by just the look and feel of the plants.

old school way. KISS method

I think yours is at that stage where the roots are growing. Once they are established, she should take off.

It's okay,  I may, myself, Google nitrification just for the heck of it, but, you've totally answered it all well enough in both replies, and it all makes sense too.  Thanx so much.  You absorbe knowledge very well - well, you're battin 1000 with weed anyway.  Now, don't be tellin anybody yur proud of that, because it's probably illegal too.  Catchya later
    Enjoy  :bongin:
    Sky 

13. I forgot something ---
    Logical things I can figure out - cold stunts growth, tight buds, close internode, possible loss in yield, thc compromised.  It's the science equation in doing a grow that I shy away from.  But, I do hold on to certain things, like N lockout and black leaves will stick with me for sure.  Even better is you told me how to correct it.  THANX

14.   :eek: A-OH!  Just taking notes (thinking out loud).   
    Today my plant seemed unusuly wobbly, so, I dug away an inch or so to get a better look at the trunk just below the surface.  After almost 30 days in soiI I was surprized not to find a single support root within 1 1/2 inches of the top of the soil.  
       In the picture, the area below the pencil point was below the surface and is noticebly deformed with the naked eye.  That happened when she was just a sprout and I added 1" of top dressing, because it settled.  My thought is that the top dressing was just dry enough to suck out enough juices to cause the skin of the sprout to scare over in that 1" area.  
       At this point it seems very possible for the trunk to fail at holding up what's presently above ground and still growing nicely - even with artificial support.  With no surface roots to provide additional support she's got a tough go ahead of her.
       Will wait a day or three before freeking out...

Attached Files:

15. Never seen that before Sky.

What was the top-dress?  It shouldn't have done that. :confused_2:

Hope that turns into a supercrop result.

not trying to tell you what to do but, dude if you have another bean,

well you know

getrdun  :)

:hippie: Yeah, I know - it's kinda unique in it's own way.  The dressing was just an addition of more FFOF to top off the part that settled.  However, I didn't moisten it enough for the closeness of the light, which dried out the surface of the soil overnight causing the damage.  Thanx for the supercrop wishes though.  Dam, that would be nice.  
    I do have 1 more (auto) bean left, but, I'm holding on to it until our local outside temps go up - like in spring.  I got more coming.  As I mentioned, this grow is an experiment, not a neccesity.  I have enough meds to hold me over, although that's debatable.    Later
    Sky 

17. <_<  I found out that she has a case of damping-off.  I'v experience this before outside in early spring with pea's and stringbean plants.  But, they usually broke off at the surface as little sprouts.  It seems like my plant began to grow again above that wound, because although she's small she still looks wonderful tonight.  Yeah, I know, couldn't resist.  However, she is being choked at that wound and it doesn't yet seem to be getting any thicker there.  That aint good.  
    Someone told me to chop just above the wound and reroot it like a clone, which makes all the sense in the world, but, I'd rather see how far she'll make it on her own - with a little tlc of course.  I need to come up with a small tomatoe cage of sorts.  Dam, this is quite a bit of stress for a small auto, and I would have never expected to get even this far.  I'm sorta sasifried. :yummy:  

Attached Files:

18.  meh....not with an auto though. 

I wouldn't think so anyways. :confused_2:

new growth looks good

keep on truckin' sky.

19. Yeah, your thinking is right.  Auto's have a different set of rules altogether.  I'll be trying photoperiod's this summer.  Never done them before.  Gotta do a bit of research here on GC.    

20. :mad:  Not much sense wasting this winter grow if she pops her last balloon, so, I'll pop in my last auto bean for a backup.  I have more coming.  I've already discovered that a winter grow in my area is doable.  Maybe not to the enth degree, but doable.  Hopefully that damping-off bullshit won't happen twice in a row.  BTW, she hasn't grown much - 6".  Internode spacing is extremely close.