Skys Winter Run

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by SkyKing65, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Hi to all my friends who stopped by my last journal, and happy holidays to all.  
    First off, thanx for allowing me to borrow the Run word - you know who you are...
    So, I'm at it a second time.  Same leftover EASYRYDER auto fem seeds from 2012.  They are said to be able to handle the cold a bit better than a photoperiod strain.  I'll find out (if it survives) cause my tent is in my shop, and the barometer reads 32% @ 66F - 66 is as good as it gets - I got a space heater for that.  I'm thinking of maybe putting a humidifier in the room also, at least a bowl of h2o inside the tent.
    If you know me then you know I keep it as simple as possible.  I just plant the seed in the 2gal pot (FFOF) that it will remain in and let nature take it's course.  My last harvest was <2oz> per seed - dry.  I'll use 400W hps @ 20/4 and time the heater to kick-in at lights off.  For anybody who's ever done this kind of thing before, let's talk.  I'd like to know what you experienced in your cold area and how you dealt with it.  Oh, I'm in nor-east USA - Brrrrr!  I won't be putting up photo's till about week 4 or 5.    Later

2. Whats up Sky,
    Im here and subbed. Lets do it again!

3. Thanx for dropping in 3D.  If this works then it will be interesting to compare the results of a winter grow to that of a warm weather grow.  I'm not leaving out the possibility of a hermie from cold stress either.  I'm only risking one bean.  I'll be posting as the important situations come about.  See ya then  

4. pullin' up a chair too SkyKing.

5. :hello: Gday y'all.  For the record,  the seed popped dirt this morning in just 3 1/2 days.  Amazing.  It's almost 2yrs old.  The Run is on.  Now to deal with the cold in my GL60.  I am optomisticly feeling the GCity ganja spirits houvering about me.  That basically means any advice is welcome.  
    By the way 3D, do you still use your GL60?
    Welcome X_p. 

6. Yep. My tent is actually a DR60 but pretty much the same tent in regard to dimensions. I love my tent man. It takes up very little space and works really good for light proofing. If I remember correctly, you had issues with the cold on the last grow right? Have you considered running your light schedule at night to keep the cold out?

7. #7 SkyKing65, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2013
    Yep. My tent is actually a DR60 but pretty much the same tent in regard to dimensions. I love my tent man. It takes up very little space and works really good for light proofing. If I remember correctly, you had issues with the cold on the last grow right? Have you considered running your light schedule at night to keep the cold out?

Welcome back 3D.  Here's a small tent DIY idea, for what it's worth - on the rear wall I screwed in a 3"X3/8"X2ft plywood board onto the inside tent pipes.  I use it to mount stuff on.  Use your imagination.  The ballast is too heavy for this though.  I also have a simple DIY drying box that vents the oder outside through my tent.  What a fun hobby, ya know what I mean.  

My present baby girl is just a sprout and not yet in the tent, but yes I did actually plan for lights on at night.  You just sort of  confirmed that I suppose.  I'm not too optimistic about this cold bullshit, although I have heard it's feasable with autos.      
        Sorry, no cold issues with my last/very first grow, which was over a year ago.  It's okay, I wouldn't expect you to remember such an uneventful initial grow as that one.  I mean, nothing went wrong.     
        The ganja spirits were also with me on my virgin run perhaps, as I got 5&1/2 Z's, dry.  I had humongous cola's for auto's.  I'm still enjoying that stuff 14 months later :bongin: and it's all good.  I picked EasyRyder's because of that Ak47 factor.  I read somewhere that they are heavy and juicy bud producers.  They were right.    Later  

8. UPDATE ON SPROUT... With the onset of an unusually warm weekend (62F), I kept it in a sunny window.  It's been 7 days since she popped dirt and I don't have even one set of nodes yet, just those starter leaves.  I'm not panicing though, because I know as soon as she gets a taste of that 400W hps then she'll start partying.  I'll put some lettuce in the tent to keep her company during the grow.  
       I'm gonna try my small space heater in my drying box, which vents right into my tent, and time it for lights out.  The exhaust fan will pull the heat into/and thru the tent.  It's sort of a fire hazard because it's just a cardboard drying box, but I'll monitor it.  I have a fire extinguisher and a smoke detector.  If it don't work I'll have to figure out a plan B.  Cross that bridge when I get there.     

9. :unsure: It's struggling:  (ref notes)  4th day under 400W hps @ 12" away.  Average 68* 30% lite on, 62* 29% lite off.  2 weeks outta dirt and it's still just a 3 1/2 inch sprout with a small first set of real leaves, but it looks okay.  Cold already taking it's toll though, because, the same strain grown in the same tent durring the summer had 6 nodes in the same amount of time.  No space heater yet - the plant will alarm me when it's time, I'm sure.  Maybe it already has... Ummmm...       
    Plant looks healthy, just slow to grow.  Will give it a small (initial) dose of 6-4-4 next watering.  Not worth taking pix yet...    

10. once those roots are strong im sure she will explode in growth i had a closet grow before around them tempts so it should do fine. Also i read that most cannabis can grow in the 40* weather maybe not all strains but thats good to know letting you know that its not super cold in your grow room and it did say the growth was slowed in such low conditions. what is your average yield with that 400w hps? I seen you got 5.5 zips from 3 females so almost 2 zips a plant?

11. Welcome Seedlin:  Yea, 2 Z's each ><.  However, that was in the summer when it's like 80ish inside the tent.  She got her first dose of 6-4-4 today.  It will be an interesting education to see what this cold stress does to my tiny little tree.
    Stay tuned....
    Sky 

12. I've read where the temp difference actually helps the plants grow better. :metal:

just so it doesn't get too cold or too hot.

13. sounds good. I'm interested to see how this goes
    goodluck!

14. Ive also heard that temp difference can be beneficial to growth regulation. Warm temps help with just about everything while a moderately cooler temp will help with internodal spacing. Guess we'll see SK. Positive vibes for an excellent run my man. 

15. #15 SkyKing65, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
    Thanx D.  Slow to grow and tight nodes - hmmmm.  Yea, that makes sense.  I just may have another runt on my hands also.  I'm okay with that.  My last runt yielded a bit over a Z.  I'm okay with that too.  Yep, we'll see.  Good vibes amego.  Gotta go shovel snow now.  We're having a 1 footer.  I'd rater be in your area.

Later
    Sky 

I'm getting that impression - 3D made referance to something similar, and others have said that they made it thru a cold spell with flyin colors.  So far I'm not doing a thing about the chill, just lettin nature take it's coarse.  But, I do have a heating pad coming.  Thanx for the added incouragement.
    Later
    Sky

17. Thanx for dropping in Alexa.  Happy New Year.   My plant is very small, 1 node only @ 17days outta the dirt.  Extremely slow to grow imo.   Easy Ryder is all I've ever grow and I sorta understand the strain.  If it were warmer then she would have many nodes and already showing her sex.  Gonna be a 12 weeker for this one, I'm sure - If she makes it that far.  Have seat, stick around.  
    Later my friend
    Sky

18. Not to rub it in but...we had a high of 75 here today bro:p

19. :smoke: DAY 24 update - 4 days since last post... She's adjusting to the chill well, 68F/29%, and finally gettin down to it...put on an inch, now 4 1/2"H - woooh.  The trunk is thickening and she popped out 3 more healthy looking nodes w/some tiny little side branches squeezin out at the node intersections.  This sudden burst happened right after her initial taste of FF 6-4-4, hmmmm!!  I'm using FF soil.  The cold has definatly stunted growth, and some of the first leaves grew all krinkly like crumbled tin foil.  Too soon to really tell what the internode spacing will be, but right now there is none.  At this same day in a summer grow 80-82F this strain was 14"tall w/9 side branches that already had those fuzzy lookin bud sites on the tops.  She's a freeky little dwarf, but, so far no sign of her quiting on me.  She looks very healthy considering the chill.  I call her "Veg" cause it's all she seems to want to do.  Pix will be coming soon - I'll stick a lighter in there too.       

20. :smoke:   Day 26 - All is copesetic, but she's have a tough time gettin it on in all this chill.  Inside 61-68F, outside zero.  It's too soon for my knowledge level to pick up any problems, but, here's a pic or two - or three for your viewing enjoyment.  She's actually pushin out her 5th set of leaves.  All that within a 2 inch space.  Dam - talk about a dwarf.      

Attached Files: