What if ADD . . .

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by esseff, Dec 15, 2013.

1. I would marvel seeing more like you out in the crowds doing these sort of innocent things. I feel we as a whole would benefit.. I suppose I have hope.. Or I'm somehow a bit optimistic these sort of concepts/boundaries are going to become more invisible over time.. Even tho I'm surrounded by people who want the old ideas to never change.. Living in the Midwest states.. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. if they never stand up to you...... you are doing something wrong.....

3. it only takes a single spark to start a forest fire.......

some body said be the change you want to see in the world......

the more people see it......the more will catch on....

4. Ironically I sort of have the same philosophy regarding those around me that I have with my kids. I'm not convinced their changing (for what i prefer) is best. Even tho I may hope for it. That might sound wacky and maybe conflicted but that is me.. :) Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

I think the key phrase here is 'what I prefer'. We must be changing according to who we are as individuals, therefore for anyone looking in from the outside, they can only see the surface and how that appears. I don't think we can ever know quite what's going on inside another to judge how they are changing according to the path they're on. Some paths are not really obvious to the one walking it, so how can it be obvious to one looking in?

6. nobody say tell them what to do how to be.....

just be who you are ...and those around will ether catch on or they wont...

7. What's that example where all the animals are to take a test consisting of climbing a tree?

That game kids play where they fit the shapes in to their respective holes. In large part, education assigns one hole for all the shapes out there, and if you don't fit you need a pill.

8. The human brain isn't constructed to focus on more than one complex task at a time.. When you multitask, you're actually bouncing back and forth between complex trains of thought. Like everything else, this has it's pros and cons. Pros, you can multitask and do more things at once. When thinking, you can bounce between multiple points of view to get a better idea of the bigger picture. Cons, it's hard to focus when you're used to (or stuck) multitasking. The more you multitask, the more you set your brain up to multitask.

So it's kind of like you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. If you have incredible focus one on subject because you can't multitask other thoughts, you'll complete your task faster.. but will be damned if you try to do more than one task at once. If you can multitask like a champ, it'll be harder for you to buckle down and focus on one aspect, usually resulting in a lot of unfinished thoughts and works. So a balance must be met.. When it becomes a disorder like ADD, the balance is messed up beyond being consciously fixed. It's people who have a much much harder time focusing on one aspect because their brain is all over the place.. Not that they're always actively trying to multitask their thoughts, just that that can't not multitask their thoughts. It really depends on the person too. Some people have it and it's helped them in their lives and some it hinders, depends on the current conditions of the individual.

Best way to imagine ADD. Face forward and extend your right arm with one finger sticking up. Without moving your head and only moving your eyes, look as far right as you can and then move your finger into your view. Then slowly move your arm to the left and track your finger with moving only your eyes. It'll be a nice, smooth tracking. Now do it again, just without your arm and finger. Try to slowly move your eyes from the right to left without anything to track. Your vision will make noticeable jumps along the way.. Not a perfect simile, but gets the point across. Without something to focus on, you'll jump around. If you try to get from point A to point B while having something to focus on to get you from A to B, it'll be nice and smooth. If you try to get to point A to point B without something to focus on, you'll have periods in between where you stop to focus and then move on, but in between each stop, everything goes by faster. I am sure people with severe ADD/ADHD can relate. Each period in your life feels like it lasts longer than others, while the time to get between each period feels like it flew by..

Which brings me to why I think ADD and the like are making a bigger splash in society.. because society is lazy. Consider your focus your purpose. Without a purpose to do something, it probably won't get done. In today's day and age, things are just handed to us in comparison to the past. Because of that, the general populous is losing it's purpose, losing it's finger to track. You have a growing number of people with no real purpose, nothing to focus on, coupled with a growing mindset of accepting how people are to the point where you don't even offer up suggestions or help outside of someone getting to the point where they have to ask you to help. I am all for letting someone be the person they want to be, doesn't mean you can't try to help people without forcing it on them.. I think the problem of ADD can be fixed through real work rather than pills, it's a matter of figuring out how to. Getting rid of the cookie cutter educational system would be a good first step. Having something that can be more tailored to the student rather than tailoring the student to the education.. Next would be working on society, but that's one hell of an uphill battle. Personally, the sci-fi geek in me would like to see kids' brains scanned throughout their educational career.. We could learn so much from that while helping them to find the right path to their learning. If we scan a child and see he is more prone to ADD, we can educate them in a style that fits.. once we figure out the fitting style.

Also, I am curious if anyone here considers themselves to have some kind of ADD/ADHD and has various other problems with focus in other aspects of life. I'm a firm believer that if you set your brain up with ADD like "wiring", it'll carry over to other things. Like I can't really focus my hearing.. While sounds have different volumes, I hear it all as one in a way. A fan on low 15 feet away will interfere with someone talking to me a couple feet away. If I am at a restaurant, good luck having a long conversation with me. While I can't pay attention to every single voice, it's like I can't not hear every person.. I also have the inability to focus my emotions outside the moment, outside having a finger to follow. Probably why a feeling of depression can piggyback ADD in some..

9. That was some analysis. Interesting. I don't know how many will read all that - there may be just a little deficit of attention I suspect. Stoners!

10. The cure to ADD is paying attention to your children and exercising parental skills, enforcing critical thinking.

Hyperactivity is normal in children, even absurd levels of it.  This is the age where play is very important, and if a kid is not stimulated, he will find it in other ways, generally being disruptive.

In this new age, perfectly normal behavior is being attacked.   The most important thing you can do with your children is to play. 

What people should be more worried about is all the goddamn drugs they mindless cram down their child's throats.  We've got children taking amphetamine salts for crying out loud.  

11. how very unfortunate to be you?

I've been diagnosed with adhd for seven years now. I even took sixty milligrams of adderall a day. it made me sleep through most of my senior year. so I quit before I started college.

furthermore, my parents were very "playful", and attentive to my hyperactivity. I played four sports for ten yearswhile growing up and still had trouble calming down when I got home.

so your completely biased OPINION is wrong. I agree a parents influence makes a kid twenty years later, but there are such things as mental deficiencies that can be cured with natural medication. not all has to be fed with chemicals. and until the day the entire world sees this, there will be people just like you.

so therefore...come on. you know that your statement is about as true as there is a difference in a "nigger" and a "black person"

Sent from my LGL86C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Well, the idea of having a mental deficiency may still be a matter of opinion. Natural medication?

13. again...another statement made without someone knowing what they're talking about. mental deficiencies consist of your brain not making enough of a certain chemical. and yes it is a scientific fact.

natural medication= marijuana

Mental deficiencies are not due to a lack of a certain chemical. There are many reasons why people experience what they do.  So while you appear to fit your own definition of making statements, it is still possible to make your point without making it personal first.

Saying mental deficiencies can be cured by MJ seems pretty silly to me, especially if you believe they're caused by a lack of brain chemicals.

I do agree with your choice of forum name though.

15. I just see there are two sides to a coin.. What some might see as 'negative behavior' can equally be valued as positive attributes. Perspective. It's not easy but I have to listen to my feelings above all else.. People might give 'good advice' even in this particular thread, however it doesn't mean it is right for everyone. I don't first hand know the issues of ADD but I know my own.. and my heart tells me none really knows what's best.. My son said to me the other day, "The universe doesn't operate on should or shouldn't."He's 16 btw but has a 2nd-3rd grade reading level. Super smart but can hardly read. Sometimes we get to see how unimportant having solution & answers to so called 'problems' really is.Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Good point. Should and shouldn't means nothing. Yes, sometimes when we ignore these things we affect others who are caught inside their own idea (or the one they've been given) of how things should be. But to be honest, who gives a fuck what they think?

The individuals that appear rather unique, are. We should celebrate our uniqueness not attempt to fit in. When a singer or actor becomes successful, they can almost get away with anything. We see any strangeness as a sign of the creative sprit at work, and forgive them. Whereas the ordinary man is see as just strange and should know better.

With as big of a pain in the ass it was to write it while bouncing between 'Man of Tai Chi' (an ok movie) and reading some National Geographic, I had doubts many people would read it.. I do urge you try do the eye thing to help give you a better mental visual of how ADD/ADHD could be though. Heck, all you need to do is slowly move your eyes around the room without moving your head. You'll see that in order to have a nice, smooth flow, you need something to focus on.

It's not a cure all dude.. Most of us stoners have had a phase where we think "man.. weed seems to fix everything.." but it doesn't. In fact, some people's conditions could get worse. Some people with ADD have had a complete break down of mental focus and that break down could of been caused by many different reasons or factors. Smoking weed doesn't really do shit for my ability to focus on one task, just makes it easier to multitask..

Let's get this straight. You think his opinion is wrong, so his statement would be wrong, not true. You think that his statement is as true as there is a difference between a "nigger" and a "black person".. but you claim his statement isn't true, so you're basically calling all black people by one of the most hated racist terms.. on a stoner forum.

I am ashamed that you even smoke weed, even if it's dirt weed.

18. THE CURE TO ADD IS A HEALTHY BALANCED DIET

19. [quote name="Hubble Bash" post="19251170" timestamp="1388371196"]THE CURE TO ADD IS A HEALTHY BALANCED DIET[/quote]Sounds good. How so?

20. I just want to say thank you for critiquing me like that...

appreciate it...

didn't call any black people "niggers". what I was using was a metaphor? and you obviously know what I meant. don't try to cause hate toward me cause you're a professional at twisting words.

ashamed I even smoke weed...? bahaha grow the fuck up dude. I have my opinion on a forum on the WORLDWIDE INTERNET. if you seriously spend time trying to disprove my small little opinion then you have a problem bro...get off my back when you knew what the fuck I was talking about...

you're a fucking selfish dick. trying to make yourself big and take care of other people you narcissist. I was talking to him, not you.

I'll the the warning for posting immoral shit.