What if ADD . . .

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by esseff, Dec 15, 2013.

1. #1 esseff, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    . . . is simply being in the present and dealing with what is there, now, just because ir feels new? It is not a disorder to want to let go of whatever I'm doing in order to deal with the latest thing if it excites me to do so. It is a kind of constant choice. I stay dealing with something for as long as I feel I have something to learn, say, reveal, from it, before either possibly going back to where I last was, or onto something newer.
    \nTo feel obligated to finish something that no longer excites me, just because I started with it, might leave a number of things unfinished. But what matters is opening to the new to see what it is, or recognising what feels exciting and moving towards it, and that develops into nothing that matters ever getting left behind. Instead, it focuses my attention on what feels exciting now, thus generating that feeling more and more, so that I know what excitement is for me, and can sustain it longer. The longer I sustain excitement, the more i'm doing what I love and enjoy, which is good for me.
    \nThis is not about what others think I ought to be doing, based on how they see who I am and what i've done before. This only comes through my eyes. It is my connection. My reality. My sense of who I am that determines what that means. And in doing it, I always know, even when I don't know I still know.
    \nI know that sometimes I will feel lost and alone, disconnected from what feels real, yet must still be real because I experience it. It is part of life to go through these things as a way of letting go of the old. Doing so would have no meaning if it was always obvious which path to take. Some paths require having already walked others first. They might be seen, but cannot be taken until they can.

2. #2 PublicEnemy20, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2013
    Great post, my only concern lies in assuming that you "stay dealing with something for as long as you feel you have something to learn, say, reveal" about yourself. This is because sometimes it isn't quite apparent what it is that we should be fulfilling, and we may be in a quick hurry to advance to the next stage, per say, either due to feelings that bring about anxiety, impulses, or conditions that are prevalent in those with ADD. 

In other words, does it become problematic to allow an individual who is known for attention-deficit-like qualities to make attention-attribution decisions on his/her own? 

For example, assume I am a 13 year old child with ADD, and am assigned 3 books to read. I pick up a book and read until I feel it has adequately contributed/revealed something to myself, or my well-being. I read until page 6, because I for whatever reason decided 6 pages were the most that could contribute to my well-being. But, were 6 pages enough? Did I just choose page 6 because I'd be able to get onto my 2nd and 3rd assigned readings faster, and parents would allow me to play video games all the more sooner? Shouldn't someone step in and say "keep reading kiddo, you have more to learn, and more to benefit from this book!" 

3. i don't think add is a real disorder. i think parents see that there kid has issues and don't  want to admit its there fault so they found a new disorder to blame, add. 

if add was real, then everybody has add. some people are just more hyper, same way there are quiet kids. 

it also makes the pharmaceutical companies pockets really fat.

4. I agree doing what makes you happy is good but it could also be that we just want instant gratification with everything..I find myself fighting the urge to save money and not buy things to temporarily satisfy me or not wanting to do things that dont interest me like cleaning..its not that i cant focus on doing it if i wanted I just dont want to so I force myself..kids are probably being diagnosed more than countries like france (study just came out) because the kids are getting used to and expecting instant gratification for everything and the parents just give them what they want because they want it too..Im actually getting into this with my 8y old and I have to teach him hes going to be bored a lot in life and you just have to accept it not expect someone/thing to entertain you

5. Is add/adhd ever a "disease", or simply different perspective and response to inputs?

Looking at the "treatments" is especially revealing. Do amphetamines increase concentration in those with adhd, or simply increase concentration..,,

6. no such thing as ADD. its a pharameutical money grab. kids that rely on amphetamines every single day fuck up there brain chemistry. i blame the shitforbrains parents

7. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-ronald-ricker-and-dr-venus-nicolino/adderall-the-most-abused_b_619549.html

it is just another way for them to creep into our minds and keep us from ever rising too high.....

just like the poision in your water .....and the tv telling you how much you suck......

add my ass.....
    kids just need something to fucking do...... and someone to do it with them.....

8. [quote name="esseff" post="19165481" timestamp="1387108720"]. . . is simply being in the present and dealing with what is there, now, just because ir feels new? It is not a disorder to want to let go of whatever I'm doing in order to deal with the latest thing if it excites me to do so. It is a kind of constant choice. I stay dealing with something for as long as I feel I have something to learn, say, reveal, from it, before either possibly going back to where I last was, or onto something newer.To feel obligated to finish something that no longer excites me, just because I started with it, might leave a number of things unfinished. But what matters is opening to the new to see what it is, or recognising what feels exciting and moving towards it, and that develops into nothing that matters ever getting left behind. Instead, it focuses my attention on what feels exciting now, thus generating that feeling more and more, so that I know what excitement is for me, and can sustain it longer. The longer I sustain excitement, the more i'm doing what I love and enjoy, which is good for me.This is not about what others think I ought to be doing, based on how they see who I am and what i've done before. This only comes through my eyes. It is my connection. My reality. My sense of who I am that determines what that means. And in doing it, I always know, even when I don't know I still know.I know that sometimes I will feel lost and alone, disconnected from what feels real, yet must still be real because I experience it. It is part of life to go through these things as a way of letting go of the old. Doing so would have no meaning if it was always obvious which path to take. Some paths require having already walked others first. They might be seen, but cannot be taken until they can.[/quote] the government dosent want you to think this way. Good thing they have those addictive add pills to take your money and origional thought process. I've been diagnosed with adhd, I think it just makes me an individual

9. You're misunderstanding ADD, it's not a state of 'presentness' but rather being wrapped up in one's own thoughts to the point that every impulse is followed. 

10. [quote name="GanjaJoe96" post="19229536" timestamp="1388019912"]the government dosent want you to think this way. Good thing they have those addictive add pills to take your money and origional thought process. I've been diagnosed with adhd, I think it just makes me an individual[/quote]Exactly.

11. [quote name="LightAnother" post="19229974" timestamp="1388026795"]You're misunderstanding ADD, it's not a state of 'presentness' but rather being wrapped up in one's own thoughts to the point that every impulse is followed. [/quote]Well, if that were the case, that describes a kind of presentness to me.Moving from one inner moment of experience to the next. The past gone - the present only there until it's replaced by the future.

12. But it's not, they become wrapped up in their thoughts and as such lose touch with actual reality, it's a neurosis. The thoughts are not the reality.

13. #13 esseff, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013

That's just an opinion. Which in itself comes from what you imagine. What is this 'actual reality' anyway? What someone else says it is or what the person experiences it to be?

Don't get caught up in attempting to make a 'one size fits all' way of seeing things. Someone may be thought to have this or that, but we are all still individuals. As @[member="GanjaJoe96"] stated, they gave him that label, where as he sees himself quite differently.

In some, perhaps the idea of neurosis is right, but it's not the whole story. And it doesn't mean they don't experience their world far more in the present than those who don't realise what being in the present really means.

14. #14 LightAnother, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
    I just knew you were going to give me some faux-mystic BS. I have respect for you, man, but this sort of reply is the ultimate cop-out.

Actual reality is the universe in which we live, the things we can empirically prove. I can empirically prove that thoughts are not reality.

My original point stands, people with ADD are not grounded in the present but rather the complete opposite. Do you meditate?

Does it help or hinder your ability to concentrate?

15. Dr. Leon Eisenberg the guy who coined the terms ADD & ADHD admitted they were fictitious shortly before his death.

16. Obviously ADD is just a label, but that doesn't preclude people actually having an inability to concentrate.

17. LightAnothers has some quality posts in this thread. Nailed down ADD pretty good.

18. Both my nephews somehow have 'add' and i feel its a parenting problem.  Somehow they magically behave when their grandfather is around because he will whoop their asses, and as if by magic their 'add' comes around again when he is gone.  When they start acting up their mother/grandmother will ask if they have taken their pill.  Funny how that works, don't you think?

19. I have two older sisters and one younger brother.

All three were straight A students with tons of awards. I pretty much failed all my classes and almost dropped out of high school.

I never missed a class, and always sat at the very front of the class. No matter how hard I tried and applied myself, I just kept failing everything except Phys Ed, art, drama and photography.

Veryyyy hyper kid, when I hit 20ish I turned the complete opposite. Very quiet and reserved yet still very mentally ADD.