Help me build a water only soil.

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by B_herb420, Dec 13, 2013.

1. #321 B_herb420, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
    Wet, Jerry, Gandalf, Anybody:

Mites in my worm bin. Problem?
    Are these bad mites or good predatory mites? My soil is sitting only a couple yards away from the worm bin. Will these mites infest my soil and eat my future plants?

...ladybugs?

2. #322 GiMiK, Mar 15, 2014
  3. Also, Can I add rockdust after I nutrient cycle? Or is this something that has to be nutrient cycled? I'm still trying to find some... Everywhere around me sells like a thousand pounds at their smallest amount..

4. #324 GiMiK, Mar 15, 2014
    The answer is yes, though i wouldnt care to disturb the fungal networks and such unless i had time to burn before utilizing.

It acts as anchor points for fungal hyphae extending throughout the substrate, helping the fungal network proliferate and reach nutrition rich OM. Best bet is to add then cycle, or simply wait after amending should you choose that route.

Try local concrete dumping spots, as they usually run crushers for the materials they process. I've found many throughout michigan that supply aggregate as well, so it's a good idea to ask if they have it on site or at another pit/location.

5. yes indeed. rd is the housing project for your microbes. Just a handful in the brew is all you need.

Twas Ever Thus!

6. I really need a "no cook" soil recipe. But I can't find anything when I search. It's already late march. I have to start my beans, leafy greens, carrots, broccoli, peas, ETC... I don't even have any soil sitting/cooking/cycling yet. It'll be too late if I wait another whole month.

7. I was just thinking... The amendments I used, if those weren't grown organically, will my soil still be organic? ex: The alfalfa I added could be a non organic gmo alfalfa plant sprayed with pesticides for all I know. Could this effect my soil on the terms of it being 100% organic?

8. Are you going for an OMRI listing, USDA Nat'l Organic Program certification, Demeter certification, Cal. Certified Organic Farmers certification, Oregon Tilth certification, or just your own peace of mind?  Because they all have different standards lol

If your concern is for the health of your soil microbes, they will be only minimally affected by pesticides on your alfalfa, if at all.

9. Mainly for my own peace of mind. But I was also planning on selling at farmers markets, and would like to have some type of organic certification. (the easiest to obtain)

10. I wouldn't stress it yet....I'm delving into the farmers market this year as well, with a nice plot available to tend to thats close to the market. I  wouldn't worry about certification, quality food sells itself.

If possible just grow your own alfalfa, or ask a local farmer if you can cut a small patch for yourself. A nice neighbor let me take about 30-40 lbs this year, simply because I asked. 

11. I have been reading online that Neem is antimicrobial?  Wouldn't this be bad for an amendment if that's true?

Think of it as a magic amendment that can tell the difference between bad microbes and good microbes, and only kills the bad ones.  It's not far from the truth lol

13. Way to dumb it down. That's how I like it. :laughing:

14. mongo like cigar!

Twas Ever Thus!

lol I dumbed it down for myself, and passed it on to you the way I think of it lol.  Truth is, it's not very well understood.  Here's an LD post:

pinkpipe

For reasons that are a mystery to me and others, the addition of neem cake to a soil does not impact the aerobic fungi -neem products are anti-fungal but not much on the anti-bacterial front. 

The neem cake does not negatively impact the mycorrhizal fungi either. In fact in one study conducted in India, ecto-mycorrhizal colonies were introduced into controlled groves and the oil that was pressed was measured as well as the total yield weight and the results showed that these fungi improved to growth and development of the nut pods. 

What I found interesting about this is that the entire neem tree contains the anti-fungal properties from the root hairs up to the leaves and bark.

I've also used it in small worm bins and then measured the fungi levels from an AACT brewed with the castings with no measurable difference from a sample from another bin where neem seed cake was not applied. Both bins were fed the exact same food items as well as amended with oyster shell powder and soft rock phosphate.

HTH

LD

16. #337 GiMiK, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
    Makes you wonder how long he's had this perspective and been chasing his version of perfection.

Thanks again LD, for the direction and perspectives you've helped instill in this and other online communities.

Probably did more good for cannabis cultivation than any other individual in the entirety of the internet.

17. How much bio-char would I add per cubic foot? I was thinking something like 1 cup per cf. more? less?

18. Mongo straight!

No idea about bio char.

Wet

19. #340 Gandalf_the_Green, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014

Most people use it as about 10% of their soil mix, and consider that part of their aeration component (ie, it replaces perlite, pumice, rice hulls, or whatever you're using for aeration)

Edit:  For example, a soil mix might be: 40% peat, 15% compost, 15% EWC, 20% pumice, and 10% bio-char.... just as an example.