Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Federally legalizing marijuana and military.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by pandonium32, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Okay so I had a great thought, If cannabis is legalized federally will people serving in the military be allowed to smoke it? I see no harm in it, I would much rather see someone smoke weed then go get hammered in a bar and die in a car wreck. I am in the U.S Navy and from my understanding the UCMJ is under the federal laws. So if weed is legal federally, were does that subject stand? All opinions or facts would be much appreciated. Happy Toking!

2. #2 Hypoxic, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
    No

Just like healthcare workers most likely will not. Nor cops nor teachers, etc.

I come from the healthcare field and most employers are now screening for nicotine and will not hire smokers, they'll just do the same thing if weed is legalized.

Just like a medical card does not in any way provide employment protection.

Edit: I guess an argument could be made it depends on your specific role in the military. Ie no way they are gonna be ok with pilots using weed.

3. Hmm i see what you mean, I was wondering like on off duty you are allowed to leave base and go to bars as long as its in like a 50 mile radius. Do you think they would ever let someone smoke marijuana and have it treated with the same laws as alcohol. I'd much rather see someone smoke a joint and be mellow then apposed to someone getting drunk. 

4. I highly doubt it. It's the shitty edge of the sword as alcohol is worse most would agree but it gets a pass cause it's "part of our culture". And they'll say thc is stored in the body and may be active much longer than alcohol.

Like I said even in healthcare if you sign on and than a year later they want to do random testing and they find nicotine? Terminated. My hospital it was zero tolerance just like weed and other drugs. Get a DUI? Most positions they won't really care all to much. It's illogical but they don't care.

I really hate that its like that. It's like they know the truth but they don't want to believe it. And damn dude that sounds extremely strict.

6. Believe it or not, they used to let them smoke during, WWI and WWII they allowed soldiers to smoke when on break, it allowed them to "chill out" from fighting.

7. I heard something like that a while back. I just don't understand why it's completely okay for civilians to do it legally but if a soldier wants to do instead of drinking it's completely frowned upon.

8. Exactly man, it's propaganda and the government does not want to admit they failed and lied to the population

9. It will be a long time until marijuana is legalized federally. Once it is it will be even longer for the military if at all. We still get tested every drill for thc but everyone is okay to show up to drill drunk and hung over.

10. See i mean why can't marijuana be treated as alcohol, i mean honestly is it hurting anyone? I mean nobody isn't going to drink out on the field or the fleet, but they can on off duty. Why can't cannabis be the same

11. Watch the beginning of Pineapple Express. This whole thread is answered with that