Human Immortality.

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Weedity, Dec 9, 2013.

1. #61 Weedity, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2014
    Well, the Earth can never be Immortal. It will end up like...say...Mars no matter what. Unless we can somehow stop the Sun from ending, the Earth is doomed.

Thus the importance of space travel, immortality, and if anything limited aging. Although, some people don't care about the future of humanity. I for one do. 

I'm not sure it would work that way. I don't think it'd be a virtual reality, more like your a high tech robot with a past and consciousness living in this reality as well. I'm not quite sure though, been a long time since I read up on digital immortality. 

I have ticket!

Attached Files:

3. To gain immortality is to overthrow entropy, which I'm going to go with being impossible for empirical reasons. The body is constantly going to decay unless you put in some energy to reverse the process of entropy (which ultimately increases entropy in the larger system containing the body.) This energy might come from coal or gasoline, but whatever the energy source is you can bet it's finite; even more significant is that you can trace nearly all of it back to the Sun's outpouring of energy from the nuclear reactions in its core (exceptions to this could usually be traced back to the energy involved in the gravitational collapse of planets or the entire solar system.)

Eventually the Sun dies and we have to find a new star to sustain our 'immortal' bodies. But the Milky Way is only so big, and the universe is expanding to make other galaxies further out of our reach, so the task of forever finding useful energy sources becomes increasingly difficult; even worse is the fact that if the second law of thermodynamics is correct (and I strongly think it is) you'll never win! Entropy always increases until you finally can't sustain your 'immortal' bodies.

So according to physics, immortality is probably impossible, at best you can prolong the lifespan of a human, even to unheard of amounts of time, but you'll never be truly immortal. If we get the option to live a thousand years, hell I'd probably take it, but not without realizing that it's not all that crazy, sure you can do a whole lot more in a thousand years but a thousand is just as far away from infinity as 10; though we see a 10 year lifespan to be exceptionally brief, a one thousand year lifespan would be brief to something living for millions of years, and a million would be brief next to a trillion, and so on and so on. As Chuang-tzu said, "Methuselah died young."

But yea I'm all for a longer life-span! But immortality might be delusional. 

4. Most people don't know what to do with the limited life they have.  Can you imagine a society of bored, listless stupid people with nothing but time to kill?  I'm not even factoring in the limited natural resources we humans are already using up and have zero respect for....

5. Human beings aren't meant to be immortal. Life is a learning experience for our souls. After our human body passes away, our souls move on, taking with them the knowledge that they acquired from their previous life. Souls may live many human lives, as well as lives of other species, until they move further towards achieving their higher purpose which I can't even fathom the possibility of. 

6. there is no meaning without death.

just a hunch.

7. Let me ask one question that probably would be better suited in the philosophy forum, but hear me out.

If all parts of our bodies are replaced. When all things old are new. When nothing is left from the body we were born with, and all is gone. Are we truly the same person?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. #68 paperplanes11, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
    It would be expensive as fuck and only the 1% would be able to afford immortality. That is the world I don't want to live. I'm not even sure about living in this day and age.

Everybody you kno would die, friends and family. Why would u want to keep meeting people and making friends if you kno you'll outlive them? But then again the 1% only care about money. They'd be rich for ever.

Immortals would be gods. They'd be rich and have all the knowledge along with controlling everything. I think Prometheus is accurate in describing the future

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. I want nothing more to be immortal. And I'd give up a lot to get it too. If it cost me all of my money, whatever I don't care. As long as I knew I'd be able to live forever. I'm scared as fuck to die. Immortality would be the ultimate goal. Why is it always the bad guys in TV shows and comics that want to be immortal?

10. #70 Ms.chips, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
    I never really understood the attraction to immortality, i mean death is just a part of life. I wouldn't want to become immortal just to evade that experience. The thought of immortality just gives me a bad taste, i can't really pin point why. The two events that every human will certainly experience are birth and death. We're in control of what we do with the time in between those events, and it's up to the individual to make good use of that time. I would feel a disconnect from my human nature if i deviated from that universal path.

Instead of that money going to prolong the lives of most likely the wealthy, it should go to improve the living conditions of those with nothing.

Because the bad guys are usually very selfish, and the desire for human immortality is certainly selfish.

The way I see it, life and death are illusions. The concept of "me", or "you" as only being single human entities, and nothing else are also illusions. The human experience, at this point at least, is meant to be a temporary thing. Having it be temporary gives each individual experience more importance and meaning, so more things get done for the bigger picture. If all people lived forever as people, that would suck. It wouldn't even be interesting, and would cause problems. Eventually we would make ourselves into something else entirely... which is what we already do anyways.

Plus, there is always a bigger fish in the sea which could eliminate you if wanted.

12. I see it kinda opposite from you. I think the fact that we die makes everything kind of pointless. If I just cease to exist then everything I did or will do won't matter at all after I leave this world. If I could live forever though, it would make me feel like I had all the time to do everything I've ever wanted to do. I'll make myself a better person and all that because I'm not worried about setting time to do shit. I'm not really spiritual or anything so I don't really know about or believe in any of that illusion stuff.
    I don't think it's selfish to wanna live forever. I don't want to die. It would be kick ass to live forever with my girlfriend and family. Fuck dying. It's sad and it's scary.

13. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euIffX8R0HY

14. Just replying to your OP
     This-You fuck with Nature-it will bite you in the ass.

15. I am immortal

16. Just more time to kill each other and develop ways that will.

I'm telling you if people starting fucking around with the natural order it will make humans It's bitch..in one way or another..singularity? No purpose. No Life.

17. The boundaries to obesity will be lifted, and there will be human blobs who need special houses that have no internal walls and a feeding tube in the roof.

18. All I wanna know is; can we finally build the death star? If there is some mean dudes out there, we should have the means to fight em, thats all Im sayin.
    Seriously, we cant build the star but we can build more roads? who cares about roads? what are roads going to do when some bad bitch from mars comes here to drain our fluids?

19. #79 Weedity, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
    I doubt that. People would have so much extra time on their hands that being lazy would eventually be boring.

Lazy people are hardly stimulated by "extra time on their hands" in current modes of living. I cannot even begin to understand where you're coming from on that.