Human Immortality.

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Weedity, Dec 9, 2013.

1. #41 Timesplasher, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013

Not going to happen, how long can you grow a carrot for? Immortality implies infinity, whats an example of infinity we understand as real?  The only example of infinity that I can think of sounds logical in theory but is misleading because it is time dependent. EG

In theory, its possible to say that an example of infinity maybe and idea that of ongoing possiility results in infinite choices of something to occur in random scenarios. But ends when theirs nothing or knowones left to have an opinion:)

Nature wont allow immortality it just allow us a brain big enough to wonder about it. 

2. #42 SiriusWolff, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013

Immortality could easily be achieved through cybernetics and through removing consciousness into a machine or network. I'd say we'd even be able to take it as far as to have a consciousness survive without any tangible body. Energy beings are a possibility. If we advanced that much we should be able to procure the energy and resources needed to maintain the system. If we could harness the energy of stars the problem would be solved until they all die.

Now if you look at it with a spiritual side immortality is quite easy. Maybe not in the traditional sense but it is possible.

Here's a kind of cool story to show what i mean. It's not scientifically sound but fun to read.

http://filer.case.edu/dts8/thelastq.htm

3. being trapped in a digital reality sounds like a nightmare haha but i guess being immortal would be pretty fuckin cool

4. Because humans fear and misunderstand death the idea of "immortality" seems like a good one.  But I think that's what immortality is, a reaction to a reality and not a reality in itself that's even remotely realistic.  Think about how fear works, we normally fashion a counterbalance to that fear i.e. a fear of drowning produces gills, a fear of falling produces wings, and a fear of death produces immortality.  There are reasons we don't live forever, imagine how bloated and lethargic we'd become, how stagnant?  Imagine how we would tax our ecosystem, we've already virtually assured its destruction and our lives are limited can you imagine what would happen to this planet if we had an unlimited lifespan?

People would have to stop breeding but can you imagine the possibilities in technology and science if the best scientists could live forever? We could save the planet. Our long term memory has no limit as far as we can measure so just think of what could be stored there over millenia. We could also probably augment brains at that point to have better retention and recall also.

6. #46 jovi, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
    Being immortal but still being able to be killed or die doesn't mean your immortal. To be immortal you would have to be a magical spirit or god that cannot die by anything in this galaxy,universe,dimension,ect

-::--::--::----::--::--::--::-

7. But I guess if your talking about being invincible to diseases viruses and aging then I think it might be possible

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. #48 josephjt93, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
    If a corporation can make money off of it, it may eventually happen. Immortality is already possible, they just need to find out how to put a good price tag on it. I for one would probably enjoy living forever, as long as I have my bud. I'm sure it'll happen soon. Can you imagine how much money one could make selling necessities to the forever-living? It's practically guaranteed revenue forever.

Immortal means you cannot die through natural means, usually. I'm sure there's many uses of the word.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. Glad to see this thread is still sort of alive!

Immortality is not quite possible yet, but were getting there. Some people in here said that being immortal doesn't mean we can be protected from things like viruses, but in my first post I showed there are quite a few ways to achieve immortality. Digital immortality for one would mean no viruses or anything could end us, maybe a digital virus? 

It's a shame to see so many people against immortality. I could certainly see an immortal vs mortal thing happening in the future now. 

10. I wouldn't want to be immortal.  I'm sure after a few hundred years I would get tired of seeing everything I love and care for die off so would probably become a bit cold and callous towards the world and become a recluse and that doesn't sound like a fun way to spend an eternity.

11. #51 Timesplasher, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2014

Waste of time and everything else that currently exists. A better question would be regarding the potential for "earths" ongoing existance. (immortality) wtf does it mean?

12. You wouldnt remember a lot of things after a couple hundred years. You could possibly get stuck somewhere and live forever stuck. You would live till the end of time, floating in space forever(when the world is gone). Think about it. FOREVER. I dont know about you, but I wouldn't want that.

I like your enthusiasm  :smoking:

Maybe you guys should get together and have a conference. 

15. Understand that you wouldn't have to live forever. You could choose when your time to go is, instead of it not being a choice.

Explain what you mean for "Earths" ongoing existence, and how human immortality is a waste of time?

You don't know that we wouldn't remember things. Sure they will become distance memories, but even people in their 100s still have memories of their childhood. Forever, until you want it to end. You could literally choose when the time is right to be no more. Even if we achieved immortality, there would still be ways to die, especially in the vacuum of space. 

So the term "immortality" you comprehend - but require a explanation for the two words which are "ongoing" and "existence"?

17. Ignore me Im just kidding.  :poke:  :wacko:  :blink:  :ph34r:  :hide:  

18. Huh?

No, what do you mean by Earths ongoing existence? An immortal Earth? 

19. If you were able to upload you consciousness or whatever into a hard drive, wouldn't you think they could manipulate whatever was uploaded for their own good?