So Cal Growers Unite

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by AloeRuss, Dec 7, 2013.

2. Thanks Brass. For the summer grow I'm going with your paper bag drying method. I'm watching closely and as soon as the buds feel stiff but still gives when squeezed, in the jars they go. I'm curious as to how many g's I reaped & like a kid I need instant gratification!

3. My wife, without advanced warning, tells her 77 year old mom I'm growing pot. She tells her "hey I'd like to grow one too". Attitudes over issues such as gay marriage & marijuana have flipped in just a few years. My mother in law is a perfect example. I think my dad believed 'Reefer Madness' was a documentary so it's another one of those, if-he-were-alive-today, moments.

Looks like one of my seedlings is headed to Anaheim. She's a passionate gardener who grows beautiful orchids

4. Times are changing!

where I currently stay, the prior owner used to grow orchids and daisies.
    I was cleaning out an old shed they left and came across some ribbons. The prior owner had DOZENS of 1st and second place ribbons for orchids and daisies. I can only assume he was competing in contests lol
    So I decided to plant where his garden bed used to be :) I'm hoping for some good results!!

5. You couldn't ask for better mojo!

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1357118-Scotty%27s-first-grow

6. How would a black pot cause yellow sickly leaves? It wasn't root bound so I assumed it used up all the nutrients

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1357118-Scotty%27s-first-grow

7. I've noticed personally the black pots always create a less healthy plant in the end of the run. Had last summer all smart pots except two, exceptional plants all the way through except my plastic pots, always looked like SOMETHING was up.
    I think it was partially the major heat causing the roots to get cooked//and a constant back and forth of wet to dry feet/ and I've also heard of the chemicals from the plastic being leached into the roots.. That I have no proof to back up though.

-From a small patio in socal

8. I've reached the twilight zone for my flwrng plnts..got 2-4 wks to go and i just want to be done! i'm tired battling a def that keeps going away and coming bk..both plnts if squeezed smell like fuel..the pair closest to harvest i will chk under the scope later this morn to see if i'm close to amber..plnts in eb n flo are ready to go in a cab..drp'd another round of HAZKS seeds..bought a external chiller to supplement my k-man kooler so far it's failing it's load tests..will not cool a 1 1/4 gal res lwr than 62 without a frz pk and it takes longer than the reguar two frz pks i use without it..got one more load test to do to see if i'll keep it.. sprouts 003.JPG load test of nu chiller 002.JPG

9.   Suns heat and the small container size have roots warmer then they like. My first five gallon SIP was black and it always looks rougher then the pair of white one I made later. The big pair of 25 gallons don't seem affected even though the pots are blue so I'm assuming it's a mass thing.
      I learned with my smaller vegging plants to always cover the containers if I put them out for the day after cooking several when the sun was on the pots. The small mass and the near root bound condition with so many roots on the side really smoked the plants in just a few hours.
      Something as simple as a scrap of white towel was enough to protect the tender roots against the side of the pots. The few remaining large black plastic pots I use are painted white to help keep things cool.
     Lowes carries 3 and 5 gallon white food grade buckets that are suitable for growing in with less chance of leaching unwanted chemicals into the soil and the hydro store has a small selection of white pots as well.

10. I totally agree on both topics.

I've been slowly getting rid of as much plastic stuff around my around my house as I can. Plastic off-gases, period. And, heat amplifies that process. And, the sun heats up pots and does cause that off-gassing.

E

11. The chiller failed the buket test and the trnsfrmer got too hot to handle and you could smell hot plastic along with a touch of electrical..contacted Amazon for return tag..fire hazard imo
    bkt test fail 001.JPG load test of nu chiller 003.JPG

12. #7432 New Destination, May 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  13. what is your journal under!
    My big beef tomato is outrageous!

Attached Files:

14. Update on that folgers can hempy clone experiment...i turned off the air stone at the end of week two to see what would happen. It seemed to slow down for a couple of days then went right back to growing fast. Today is exactly one month since it went in and it's about 18 inches tall. It's tucked between larger plants so it's looking for light. I think with some topping and a little bit of veg time this technique might really have something to offer. No hassles. Just feeding it the same nutes as i'm feeding the plants growing in coco.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1431035933.844890.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1431035951.294904.jpg

15. Is the last photo your AI? It looks Indica like it's supposed to. Here's mine. I've already whined here about how it looks sativa and complained to Nirvana to no avail.

16. A white t-shirt keeps the pots cool & I drill a shitload of little holes around the bottom half for aeration & drainage. Don't know if peppering the sides with holes helps or not. It's just a theory in my head...

My pots are used so hopefully they've degassed & leached out anything nasty

Dang it.  I'm very sorry to hear that news.

Have you scoured CList?

Personally I put about about 12, .5 inch holes on the sides of black pots

18. Sometimes plants have different phenos, the last photo is my AI, I also have one more that just popped above soil about a week ago. I love Nirvana and have a few of their strains this year.