So Cal Growers Unite

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by AloeRuss, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Good Monday Morning Southern California !!!!!!!!

Clear and cold last night with temps dipping into the high 30s in most of the basin and a freeze warning for the inland valleys.. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Like Like x 1
  2. Temps here have been wildly erratic; middle eighties last week then dipping to near freezing the next day and back up to the fifties the day after that; fortunately growing in the closet this isn't a concern for me.

3. I know. My garden temps dropped to high 50s. Have to run heaters during the day.

Comes to mind the 90s at night in the valley this summer.

4. I really have no way to regulate the temps of my pair of veg boxes.. Small as they are any drop in ventilation will send temps skyrocketing in just seconds cooking all inside in short order..
    With them residing in a falling down garden shed the temps are ambient.. Dipping into the high 30s at night isn't helping my clones grow up big and strong and fast..
    Currently we are having a "Cold Santa Ana" wind event .. With temps gradually returning to normal by the end of the week.. 10 to 15 degs below normal for us at this time of year..
    The joys of flowering outside in winter.. when I put the patio 5 out we had blistering hot days and they all put on impressive size each day.. this last 5 really missed all that heat and got cold and rain instead during that critical first 2 weeks after I toss them outside.. I can already see they are not going to be near as big..

5. #25 5toes, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
    Hey, So Cal Growers.

I'm just down the road (17th Street) from L.B. in O.C.

Had a great summer harvest.

6. Good Morning So Cal !!!!!!

Welcome 5toes.. To our little corner of GC.. I'm only about a stones throw from OC as Seal Beach is just across the San Gabriel river from Alamitos Bay Marina where I spend a fair amount of my time..

Nice to hear you had a great summer harvest.. I didn't do half bad myself for a shoestring operation like I run..
    http://forum.grasscity.com/unknown/1245053-american-dream-white-picket-fences-marijuana-so-cal-sun.html/page-17
    Feel free to have a look around my own thread.. Always something going down

http://www.naplesca.com/  Come join the madness of the Naples Island-Belmont Shore-Alamitos Bay 67th Boat Parade..
    Sat the 21st of Dec.. Always a treat for young and old..Walk the Naples canals as Edison struggles to supply enough power as the whole group of islands are lite up like a movie set of Close Encounters of the Best Kind.. :bongin:

7. #27 5toes, Dec 10, 2013
    Thanks for the welcome, BrassNwood.

I had a buddy with a nice fishing boat he kept at Alamitos Bay Marina. Good times and lots of fish.

8. I only grow for personal use but i think i live right between the two of you in the seal beach area.

And by grow i mean that i have not yet killed my first plant. :)

Sent from Stanford for the greater good.

9. Welcome aboard Pete.. The Seal Beach McDs on PCH is my closest cup of joe in the mornings when I'm on the boat so yepp your close..
    I grow for my own consumption as well but I've killed plenty of my share of plants to get this far.. Not so many lately but now I may have to deliberately destroy some clones just to stay within my plant numbers..

A first for me as I'm actually getting consistent repeatable results with my cloning now..

10. Good morning Cali.
    Sounds that I am the only one professional grower.
    I always was a computer engineer working near LAX for 20 plus year. Well.. With job prospects in the shitter, this is what I do.

Thanks for the invite, Brass. I will bring my son. He loves boats and trains.

11. If your son loves trains consider spending a day at
    http://www.oerm.org/  I've been a member for many years..

12. Magical!! Thank you.
    He will love it so much.

13. Hi SoCal Growers.

New growers in Inland Empire here. Started with some clones about a week ago. We haven't killed them yet!

Indoors tent set up. ALWAYS looking for information and tips. Especially those who regularly get compensated from dispensaries. I have questions if someone has answers, PM me. And I'm available for any info I have too. :)

14. Welcome in GreenerGreen..  I spend some time out your way in the San Berdo mountains from time to time..
    What strains of clones are you running?? And did you source them local or.. With so many store fronts closed I'm always interested to see what remains open..

15. Kern County here, temps in the desert have sucked this winter! High 50's during the day, low 20's at night, if it wasn't for these Seedling Mats my girls would be frozen to the floor! I do Indoor Organics year round as well as Outdoor. I usually make my own liquid nutrients, but as it is winter my barrels are currently "Hibernating". So I'm going to be mixing a soil you don't have to feed anything other then water. This will be the start of my first perpetual crop. I've got a custom stacked 2x4 veg tent for moms and vegging babies, as well as a 4x8 Bloom tent. You can check it out here:http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1262471-pHarmer's-Cannaculture-CornerI'd love to see what everyone else has got going on! As far as "Professional" goes, I sure aim to be there one day. I'm growing for multiple reasons, two slipped & two herniated disks in my lower back, torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder. My girl has a brain tumor as well as a irrythmatic heart beat or heart "Murmur". As well as a few other reasons, so this is my full time occupation. I am real into genetics and breeding, for me its all about the patients. All the shops out my way are flat out SAD! Paying 10-15g for stuff that wasn't dried properly, doesn't smoke clean, doesn't even look like it was attempted to be flushed, all kinds of mite damage. Yet I'm seeing elders with genuine medicinal problems being told this is TOP notch stuff & spending 3-4 hundred on Chem buds. Most of them are using this for medicine. Yet when asking the shop if they knew anything that would be high in anti-spasmetic properties. They looked at me like I was stupid & began to stutter about. It saddens me I can't wait to start actually helping these people! How do the shops handle patients out your way? Haven't had a chance to stop by a shop out in the "bay area" yet.Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16.  Welcome <span>pHarmerXxLEDxX to our little room in the GC community.. Kern County can get mighty chilly no doubt.. While my own little back yard grow is very close to the coast with it's moderating temps it's still getting down there and my outside winter flowering kids are slowing with this last week of very cold temps..</span>

17. [quote name="BrassNwood" post="19138024" timestamp="1386704520"] Welcome pHarmerXxLEDxX to our little room in the GC community.. Kern County can get mighty chilly no doubt.. While my own little back yard grow is very close to the coast with it's moderating temps it's still getting down there and my outside winter flowering kids are slowing with this last week of very cold temps..[/quote]Thank you!I couldn't imagine living SO close to the coast, do you have any humidity problems? Any salt issues, idk typical stuff? All my outdoor girls get the chop before the cold and rain starts. I grow them mostly for the fun of it, I know a lot of people who wish they could grow. So figured mine as well take advantage of the outdoor while I can, I only run 4-5 plants a year. What strains do you prefer for growing out there? Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. While originally from an Inland valley where the temp swings are much wilder with cold enough winter temps to freeze our plants the oceans moderating influence has let me try a fairly continuous stream of plants vegged 24-0 to about 2 feet tall then planted outside to flower.. I just harvested a set that was put out in late September as well as placing a set outside just 3 weeks ago.. With a few more very small clones under way..

What started as a vague Idea last February has matured fairly well at this point.. 

19. #39 GreenerGreen, Dec 10, 2013
    I'm a little farther south near wine country. We have 2 Super Silver Haze, 1 Alien OG, 1 Skywalker and 1 SJ1 (still researching this one). I got them from an childhood friend's clone contact that he uses.

We only have a small handful of storefronts open here but delivery places are multiplying.

Boy do I know about Kern getting COLD! I did an old west reenactment there and almost froze my face off sleeping in our canvas tents.

You make your own nutrients? Didn't cross my mind yet as I'm just starting and bought some, but how do you do make your own reliably?

I have a 4x4x6.5 tent kit from GrowAce.com. Seems to work well, but set up was confusing as I didn't know exactly how to fit it all together. We managed, but I know we can improve the layout. Once our thumbs are green, we'll see where the wind takes us.

20. I have SSH of my own as well .. Northern Lights.. Train Wreck.. That came as strain bank clones and I've managed to continue the strains on.. As well as a bag seed strain with enough interesting properties that I've kept cloning as well .. Clones fast, turns bright purple, and in a few more weeks I'll know how the smoke test is.. Stuff already smells great.. I've resisted sampling till it cures a bit more..