The Giver by Lois Lowry

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Hempnotist, Dec 7, 2013.

1. I recommend this book for anyone looking for an amazing book with an awesome message behind it. Or anyone else for that matter

2. In America I think it's required to read at some point well not required but it's one of the offered booksI've read multiple times

3. I may have to read it again. The last time I read it I was unimpressed.

4. I was required to read that back in...high school? Middle school? Something like that. Didn't really care for it. 

5. I don't know what it was but something in that book will have a significance in the future I don't find very many books interesting especially where I'll read it more than twice

6. Weird I never had to read it I just saw it and decided to read it for some reason it's still one of my favorite books

7. 4th grade reading requirement.

8. Pretty good readSent from my SGH-T989 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. I really love this book as well. Everyone that I have talked to that were required to read the book didn't really enjoy it...others that read it for fun seem to like it more. I love it way too much! It's on my reread list! :)

10. read that book when i was much younger. it was a good book though, i might read it again eventually.

11. I read the book, including the sequel. You'll like "Brave New World."

12. I know it was a reading requirement but i don't know if it was 5th or 6th grade. I remember enjoying it but at this point I would have to read it again. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. one of my favorite books 

14. It seems that people who were required to read it didn't like it, but people who read it for fun, such as myself, really enjoyed it

15. This is one of my favorite books. Pretty symbolic if you ask me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. Yes it was a great book. But what message are you talking about? I didn't get one out of it

One is that you arent truly alive without the good AND bad experiences in life. They tried to make it all perfect and ended up forgetting what it was to truly live. A life of contrast ...the opportunity to have bad experiences...is needed to truly appreciate the good. Balance.

In the same vein: Don't fuck with the natural order.You will pay dearly.

18. It's almost like you need the ability or possibility to fuck up in order to truly feel like you succeeded. I feel like when I first read it it went a little bit over my head but looking back at it I really appreciate the message Lowry was going for. Definitely one of my favorite reads.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. I read it twice.. Probably only book I've ever read twice. Good book, read the first time in middle school

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum