PC Grasscity Steam Group and PC Gaming General

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Vicious, Dec 6, 2013.

1. @[member="xSadrulesx"] yep 

Well, it's kind of retarded and 100% unnecessary to be overclocking to 4.8-5ghz. My old sandy bridge i5-2500k was 5ghz for almost 2 years and started bsoding and having all sorts of issues. Brought it down to stock clocks and it was stable. Sold it with the intention that the new owner should not OC. 

I haven't even overclocked my Haswell a single time. There isn't a single game or task that 3.xghz is NOT enough for... Turn your shit down mother fucker. 

3. That was test running to see how much I could push it really. I'm sitting at 4.4 now.

4. #44 chimera765, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2013
    Anyone been kinda underwhelmed with the Winter Sale so far? 

Most of the games I've seen as Daily Deals, Flash Sales or even Community Choices have been pretty meh. Maybe I'm just not as interested in the games being sold during this sale.

If anyone has Starbound, lemme know! I'm still slightly confused on how to play the game with all the ways it's possible to play. Or if you even have Terraria, hit me up. I haven't given that a play since the 1.2 update dropped!

My steam name is HerpaTheDerpa, check out my game library and see what we got in common. :D

Then why buy an unlocked processor?

You should OC to the highest stable frequency if you have an unlocked processor.

6. I've bought the new Magic 2014 and Final Fantasy VIII during the sale so far. Otherwise, I haven't really bothered with anything.

7. #47 Vicious, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2013
    I'm a bit disappointing with it, only because I missed out on the Fall sale which was outstanding.

I just got another fan for my PC and can't decide if I want to mount it on the bottom drawing air up, on the side below the GPU, on the side above the GPU or on the top as a second exaust.

I also have my radiator from my CPU fan on the back pulling in. I've been thinking about completely rewiring and changing my fan set up, mostly because my wiring is horrible and I don't even like showing my guts because of it.

8. #48 flickyourbic, Dec 23, 2013

Because it's unnecessary? Like I said, I've yet to run into a game/application where I needed to be OC'd. I even have liquid cooling Antec Kuhler 620 as well as 16gb 2133mhz RAM. I upgraded to Haswell/Z87 for maybe $75 after selling my sandy bridge and p8p67. 

That, and I'm lazy and hate MSI's interface. One thing I miss about ASUS motherboards. 

There's literally no reason for doing that other then you just like to waste money. You can save a significant amount of money by just buying a locked processor and motherboard.

Lol no.. not when the unlocked processor is $180 and the "locked" is $170. 

How about you get off my fucking nuts? I didn't bother OCing this time because I didn't need to. I ran almost 5ghz for 2 years on a sandy bridge and pretty much fucked it up. I saw little to no performance difference between the two so I just left this one alone. 

Just because a car can go 160mph doesn't mean you have to go that fast all the time. 

11. #51 xSadrulesx, Dec 23, 2013

The price difference between a good Z87 board and a H87 or even B87 is much higher then that. You encouraging people not to OC = bad, that's why i bother commenting.

How is me encouraging people who don't need to OC a bad thing? Why put premature wear on something if you don't need to utilize it? 

lol what happened to you is user error. Realistically OCing doesn't affect the lifespan of a cpu, at all as long as you know what you're doing.

Because the extra performance is the reason you buy those. They are enthusiast grade cpus.

User error? Hmmm how was I getting stable results and temps with prime95, intelburntest etc. 

I'm thinking XMP 2133 did it. Whatever I'm done with your stupid ass. No reason to be needing to run 4.8-5ghz it's completely unnecessary. And yes changing the voltage of a CPU does effect its lifespan. 

Easy man, he's not on your nuts. There is no reason not to overclock and will not effect the chip's longevity if you manage it and go about it in a proper way. There is definite noticeable performance increase in everything from gaming, virtual, 3D work, video editing and everything in between. These are enthusiast grade chips made with the intent to OC. It's the reason why Intel has special OC warranties. When you're paying for this level of performance there is no reason not to squeeze it for what it's worth,

16. ....Does anyone play 2007 runescape, anyone lol?

17. #57 xSadrulesx, Dec 23, 2013

That's why thousands of people run OC'd speeds for years and years without issues, but because it happened to you now it's unnecessary

Get mad all you want but reaching that high of an frequency with good results is something to be happy about. Yeah but in real life terms you're looking at like a 1-2 week lifespan reduction or something stupid like that. They wouldn't unlock the processors or dedicate a whole series of high end hardware if they didn't want you overclocking them to stupid speeds lol.

18. #58 thayil, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2013

The last couple of sales have been lackluster. Barely anything I have wishlisted has been getting past -50%, or into the will-to-resist breaking <$5 zone. That and the community picks section seems to exist just to troll me. So many games win that have been in multiple cheapashell charity bundles over ones that haven't. And in the last one, instead of Brothers at it's lowest ever price, Chivalry gets the win despite being one of the daily deals just two days ago.
    /butthurt

On a more productive note, I highly encourage anyone who browses the Steam store with any regularity to check out Enhanced Steam. It's a browser extension that adds a bunch of useful features from telling to if the game you are looking at is cheaper on a different site to showing the price history to tiny things like adding the user score to the little metacritic box. It's really well done and fits in seamlessly with the overall look of the site.
    http://www.enhancedsteam.com/features.php
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/enhanced-steam/
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/enhanced-steam/okadibdjfemgnhjiembecghcbfknbfhg?hl=en

19. Yeah...that's probably a good thing though, my wallet felt enough pain during the autumn sale :laughing:
    I bought the new walking dead season 2 for $16 off some other site, so take that steam!

20. Steam name: DaveJaVu69 Managed to get BioShock collection for £6 couple of days ago but when it comes to steam I always buy a game and next day it ends up on discount lolMerry Christmas all :)Sent from my Nexus 7 using Grasscity Forum mobile app