PC Grasscity Steam Group and PC Gaming General

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Vicious, Dec 6, 2013.

1. basically 1k and under

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. XxEmmurexX
    Feel free to add me on steam :)

I looked into it more. I really couldn't find anything that would be worth the price. You could get a desktop PC for under $1000 that will blow these "gaming" laptops out of the water.

4. #524 lilro, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
    Yeah. Gaming laptops are okay as a supplement to a desktop, but don't make it your primary. Especially if the only thing stopping you from getting it is a desk. You can get a cheap desk from Ikea or something.

But I have to make a confession. I have recently became addicted to a "shitty MOBA" haha (League of Legends).

5. but does the $1000 include monitor, keyboard, and mouse. And I'd need a laptop more than a desktop for mobility if be traveling a lot.

6. If you're patient, you could easily get everything you need for under $1000 if you shop on sale items only.

As for a laptop, maybe look into this one if you're dead set on it. It came up from multiple sources as being one of the best gaming laptops for under $1000.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834317539&cm_re=Lenovo_Y50_59418222-_-34-317-539-_-Product

7. thats the one I was gunna grab except the i7 version off eBay or for a deal for extra couple bucks if I can't.

8. #528 Vicious, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014

An i5 4670k will kick the shit out of an i7 mobile. A desktop is future proof, you cannot upgrade a laptop and they're very easy to burn out. Laptops are shit for gaming unless you're getting one for a very specific reason and already have a capable desktop, anyone that tells you otherwise isn't worth their salt. You're going to need to build your own to stay in budget but its as easy as legos. You can build a beast machine for $1,000 - 1,200. Cyber monday is coming up at the end of November and the GTX 970 just came out. You couldn't pick a better time.

9. cool thanks for replying lol I have a basic knowledge of computer parts just not an extensive one. Didn't realize the i5 would be faster than i7. Is it cause it's mobile? Or cause you can over clock the i5?

10. #530 chocobo, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
    The i5 4670K beats out the i7, but marginally, and yes, because it's a mobile version. It isn't as optimized as say a regular desktop i7.
    Here's a simple benchmark that shows the stats:
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-vs-Intel-4710HQ

EDIT:
    Also, if building a desktop, you have a much wider selection of graphics cards. The one found in the Lenovo y50 (GTX 860M) isn't at all a bad card, but in comparison to say the Radeon R9 280x, GTX 770, GTX 970, etc... it doesn't quite have the same edge. Bang for buck right now, I'd highly consider the 280x and or the 290x.
    http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-280X-vs-GeForce-GTX-860M

11. #531 Vicious, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
    It should also be pointed out that a i7 is overkill for a gaming. You would only need it for very heavy emulation, virtual work or super workstation. An 4670k w/ a GTX 970 will run everything you throw at it in 60-120fps. a laptop in the same budget will do 40-60fps. We're entering a new generation of games, if you want to play things like Farcry 4, Witcher 3, MGS5; you're going to want that power.

12. The only reason I went for the i7 4790K over the i5 4670K was simply because I am going to be doing a lot of video editing soon. Otherwise, I would have saved and got the i5 because its power is far more than enough for gaming. Shit, I had my i5 2500K for years and its still a banging CPU. It was sad to part with it.

13. #533 Vicious, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
    I went 4770k so I could emulate anything with 4x down sampling. I really want a 5690X and a 980 to replace my 780 but I'll wait for a 990 or a TI to come out before I sell mine and put the difference towards it.

14. Any KOTOR fans?

15. Definitely. I'm waiting for a while before I give up the 770 in favor of something better. Until I start seeing a noticeable drop in what I'm playing, I'm not going to worry about it.

16. Finally got around to pushing my GPU

GTX 780
    Power Output 110% +37 mV 1200mV
    GPU Clock: 1241MHz
    GPU Clock Offset: +104 1088MHz
    GPU Memory Offset: +258 3520MHz

I tried a couple other profiles but this is the most stable.

3DMark
    [​IMG]
    http://puu.sh/cx2Pd/28d1a75d23.png

17. Wish I would oof read this thread before buying my expensive laptop, which I only play a few games like dota and wow...

But in all honesty I do not know crap about computers and I think my laptop is kick ass haha.

The reason I got a laptop is my coworkers play dota with me at work (we have 3 hour breaks between service).

18. ded thread #rip

What are you guys playing?

19. cs go.

id: goonther

20. I need CSGO I only have CS:S. Anyone got an extra copy? I"d play the shit out of it with you.