Greenhouse building help

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by Dr. Treez84, Dec 6, 2013.

1. I am about to purchase some land in Colorado and plan to run outdoors in a greenhouse next year. I have about 30k to spend on the greenhouse but would like to stay well under that if possible. Being that colorado stays a lot colder I was hoping to get some advice on different heating systems and maybe design preferences. I found one online i was thinking about ordering http://store.rimolgreenhouses.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1819 and getting the 34x96 ft greenhouse. I have enough family to be a caregiver to fit enough plants to make it worth it. My only concern is the whole greenhouse being heated evenly. and how many BTUs it will require to heat the whole thing. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated... I have grown outdoors in California for a few years but obviously the cold has never really been a concern so i'm new to the ideas of a greenhouse. Thank you

2. A wood fired boiler would probably be the best bet. run the hot water piping through the floor, that will give the best heat distribution.

Some boilers can be dual fed, propane and wood. wood for normal use and the propane for when you are away for a day or two.

3. if you wanted to go one step further you could look into aquaponics, basically you grow fish and use the nutrient rich water for irrigation, then have it drain back to the pond/tank. makes for good efficiency and lots of fish to eat/sell too.   

4. Aquaponics is nice. I've done indoors, indoor to outdoor flower. Started with coco fiber and nutes, then went to soil, then full organics and now I'm trying aquaponics with only fish food and oyster shells to help maintain a good pH buffer.

Attached Files:

5. I HATE WINTER! My crop is barely alive all swathed in visqueen (sp) and warmed with lights and portable heaters. I think Ms. Durban Poison got a bit frostbitten. She's too tall to wrap effectively. Jack H. And malawi gold are looking ok but come on - this is south Louisiana. We don't have weather like this. Ms Durban may get a severe haircut and maybe she'll look like the monsters that Jorge C. showed us that the birds ate. Had to make deliveries wrapped in fur myself. It's supposed to be 50 today. I'll go see what kind of damage is done.

6. Geothermal heating and cooling

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. Run 4 inch pvc from an outside source of air, 10 feet down underground, over under your greenhouse and up into it. Have a fan blowing the air into the house and a rain cap on the outside end. The longer distance ug the warmer.

Consistent 50 plus degree air intake.

8. i just built a 26x36 greenhouse and have both my house and GH tied to a wood boiler.  It has been hit and miss, and I would highly suggest a fossil fuel backup. . . . plus in colorado there aren't hardwoods to fire it with so you're going to be out there multiple times day/night?

9. the cheap way to heat in the short term is propane/NG.  you can use household or horticultural units. . . new or used. . . there are BTU calculators online if you dig long enough.  Rimol will tell you if you call, probably.  Rimol makes good greenhouses, but you're going to pay for shipping that how many miles?!!?  find a local manufacturer, buy used, or perhaps bend them yourself.   Consider a structure with more vertical in the sides for what you're considering?  

http://www.hoopbenders.net/home.html