First indoor Grow, Lemon Kush

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by MutherFuckerJones, Dec 2, 2013.

Yes it should be, its a typo. i was going to swap them around when i flipped the 6 over to flower, but i was being lazy, and then a few days later i find this load of little shites running around, so im not moving ANYTHING just yet, dont want to spread them to both tents.

2. another mate of mine said he used this stuff and gave me what he has left, looks good, found only good reviews, im going to use this.
    below is the stuff im grabbing off my mate tonight, again i might not use it yet if anyone thinks this product is a horrendous idea
    Please tell me.

As you said i need it asap and spinosad isn't readily available over here. and i cant wait for 5 days for some non common lavender and to have to brew it for a few days.

*next grow i will be getting all the measures in place first just INCASE anything does happen like this.

This stuff
    Spider Mite Control - Premium Quality Leaf Wash, Natural Insect Eliminator.   (google it)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMC-Spider-Mite-Natural-Insect-Pest-Eliminator-Premium-Quality-Leaf-Wash-Growing-/111227839843

and the neem oil i  got.
    http://mothernaturesgoodies.co.uk/en/neem-oil/1350-neem-oil-1-litre-5031626603332.html

Any info on application, best way to hit them, whether i should use thwe smc aswell or just the neem.

oh and ... Morning everyone 

3. @ jones gandolf is bang on mate i tried everything hydro shop had but couldnt get them all.Ii went to the organics lounge on gc nd jerry turned me onto neem oil (thanks jerry)  go for gold mate all is not lost you have took a big knock thats all. time to hit back mate 1234 i declare a spider war 

4. try holland and barrett jones they may have neem or amazon its work every penny to save ya garden

5. Them mites r a pain in the arse... I used a mix of pyrethrum and trounce to try kill mine off. Didn't work though. Checking the thrychs the other night n one walked under my scope. Mean lookin things up close...
    Chopping sometime this week as well as having to bleach the tent n clean the room. How much bleach per litre should I b using to scrub down. A friend said about leaving the light on in an empty tent for a week as well, but I can't see how that will help with anything

MITEy pissed off with a m8

6. i have got the stuff coming, both good products, Neem oil thanks to Gandalf.

I will get rid of these little fuckers. 

gonna try get hold of some lavender asap too seems to have very high ratings !

A good IPM plan (for your next grow) is always the best route.

The SMC stuff... I had to do a little digging, but I found out some stuff.  It's 94% Canola Oil, 5% Triethanolamine, and 1% Coriander Oil.

Here is a line from the EPA on how canola oil works as an insect repellant: Scientists believe that canola oil repels insects by altering the outer layer of the leaf surface or by acting as an insect irritant.

Here is a line from a Texas A&M study on using oils as pesticides: Insecticidal oils kill insects on contact by disrupting gas exchange (respiration), cell membrane function or structure. They also kill them by disrupting their feeding on oil covered surfaces. Their toxic action is more physical than chemical and is short-lived.

So the canola oil is going to disrupt their feeding and respiration.

Coriander oil is an essential oil, the same as lavender.  I looked it up, and it apparently has very high linalool content, which is the primary insecticide compound in lavender.  Lavender also has camphor, which coriander doesn't; but coriander has citronellal, which lavender has almost none of.  I assume it works about as well as lavender oil.  Of course... it's only 1% of this product lol.

The triethanolamine is a surfactant.... pure and simple.  They could have used aloe vera or yucca, but they chose not to.  Instead they chose to use a chemical that has allergy concerns (dermatitis), concerns of tumors in women, concerns of toxicity to aquatic species, and is listed under Schedule 3 of the Chemical Weapons Convention because it can be used to manufacture mustard gas (essentially).  Check out the Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triethanolamine

Whether you choose to use this product or not is up to you..... I do believe it will be effective at helping to rid you of the mites.  If you choose to use it, use it in conjunction with the neem oil (and liquid silica as an emulsifier.... and aloe as a surfactant if you can lol)

8. That post I found about the ingredients of SMC was 6 years old... you might want to check the bottle to be sure I'm right about the triethanolamine still being in it

9. I did some reading on it and it seems to do more good than bad, i will tell you exactly whats in it when i get it and ill decide if im gonna use it

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1263796-First-indoor-Grow%2C-Lemon-Kush

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1276903-2nd-grow%2C-2-3-ladies---home-made-set-up--input-welcome

Well.... to use the neem oil you need an emulsifier, since oil and water don't mix.  It's also very helpful to have a surfactant (produces foam... help the liquid coat the entire surface of the leaf instead of beading up or dripping off).  Here's a good post by Lumper:

In order to break the oil down so that it will mix with water you need to use an emulsifier. You can use pure soap (like Dr. Bronner's that is usually sold in bulk at Whole Foods, et al.) and this will also give you a surfactant. 

If you opt for using soap (any many folks do) this is the one time where sourcing pure soap is important. Even Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo is loaded with perfumes (excuse me - 'fragrance enhancers'), formaldehyde, stabilizers, etc. "Better Living Through Modern Chemistry"

Another route is to use liquid silica (like Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt) as the emulsifier. It's been my experience that liquid silica will disperse the oil better than soap but that's anecdotal at best. For a surfactant I use yucca extract and opt for the human food-grade which does not contain any preservatives as these agents do a real number on the leaf's microbe colonies. T & J Enterprises carries this yucca extract and is worth the effort to source but it's not absolutely necessary.

You could, for example, use the silica to carry the load for emulsifying the oil and then add a few drops of pure soap as the surfactant.

The reason I recommend liquid silica..... is that it's insanely useful in so many ways.  I recommend adding some to every single watering.... soil or foliar... every time.  Read this article on silica (http://www.nutri-tech.com.au/blog/2010/06/silica-the-hidden-cost-of-chemicals/) and tell me you don't want that for your plant lol.  Also, it helps the plant resist pests!  Soap sure as hell won't do that!  So since you're going to need it anyway.... why not get it now? lol

Aloe vera or yucca can be used as surfactants (instead of triethanolamine)... and both of them (especially aloe) contain salicylic acid which will help boost your plants' Systemic Acquired Resistance (SAR).... help them fight pests.  In addition to being a surfactant..... and containing saponins, Plant Growth Regulators (PGRs), 21 amino acids, all the essential vitamins, multiple micronutrients, lignins, and polysaccharides.  Not exactly stuff that's in soap.

For sure..... I mean I don't think you're a woman or an aquatic species, and you're probably not going to rub it on your skin, so you should be fine lol.  It'll do pretty good I think.

11. If you buy aloe vera (juice, gel, or powdered extract, all fine).... try to get preservative-free or at least avoid the bad preservatives.  You especially don't want anything with Sodium Benzoate as a preservative..... Potassium Sorbate is ok but no great..... Citric Acid is ideal!  When I make aloe gel at home for my garden.... I use citric acid as a preservative.  That's totally fine... in fact the citric acid is useful to the MJ plant (Krebs Cycle)

12. For liquid silica.... Dyna Gro Pro-Tekt is the best stuff over here in US.  Dunno if it's available in UK.  You want the highest elemental Silica percentage for the lowest cost..... seems simple but most people just buy Botanicare Silica Blast for big $$ lol.

You can also buy potassium silicate powder..... it's used in glazes for pottery, so if you have a pottery supply place near you, they should have it.  Some websites sell it.....  not sure about UK sites.... I'll have a quick look

13. I just talked to a guy here in america.... since aloe and silicate powders are so light, he might be able to ship them to you.  And he has very fair prices.  He's going to let me know today

14. I can't find any product info for that exact product (% of elemental silicon..... % potash... etc) or the price... but it appears to be the right stuff.  As long as it's liquid.

15. #538 Gandalf_the_Green, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
    Don't buy the Silicon+ dude!  I found a website (http://www.hydroponics.co.uk/Nutrient-Supplements/Silicon-Supplements) which indicates it is only 1.25% potassium silicate (K2SiO3).  I also just heard about a product available in Europe called Potsil that is  derived from potassium silicate, meaning the compound is already chelated (broken apart) so the elements are available to the plant.  It is 11% Potassium (as K2O), and 23% Silicon (as SiO2).... as lot more concentrated.

Also, buildasoil.com confirmed that they will ship aloe and potassium silicate powders internationally.  Jeremy said that if customers order enough of either product, he may be able to ship them for free at no additional cost.  Just go to the buildasoil.com website and talk to him for more details (a chat window will pop up and he's almost always available).

He has very fair prices.  You should definitely consider ordering some aloe vera powder and a 1/2-1 lb of ag-sil (potassium silicate) powder since you can get free shipping.  

The aloe extract is 200x strength.... which means that you take 1 unit of this powder and mix it with 199 units of water and you now have full-strength aloe vera juice which you would have to dilute even further at a rate of something like 1/4 cup in 1 gallon of water. So you can see how long that will last you lol

The Ag-Sil is recommended to dilute 140 grams of it into 32 ounces of water to make a ready-to-use liquid silica product.  1lb is $12.20.  That means you can make 4/5 of a gallon (108 fl. oz) of liquid silica for $12.20. How much is the Silicon+?

16. This is what i have available localy (hydro store) and can get down there sat morning when i have a go at these little fuckers. I need stuff asap. I will 100% for my next grow (towards en of year maybe) buy all this stuff upfront!!

On another note they are all looking ok and growing quickly!!

If only these damn mites... Grrrr

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1263796-First-indoor-Grow%2C-Lemon-Kush

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1276903-2nd-grow%2C-2-3-ladies---home-made-set-up--input-welcome