why do you read?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by FatGrow, Nov 29, 2013.

1. #1 FatGrow, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2013
    Go ahead and explain why do you like to read?, what is it about reading that you like?

I read to get away from everything, and I get a chance to relax and think for myself, it's also a hobby.

• Like Like x 3
  2. It's a way to wander through someone else's imagination.

• Like Like x 9
  3. It improves my ability to write, and it's relaxing to get lost in a story.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Right now, purely to gain knowledge. Mostly in things that I find will be most beneficial for me: Economics, business, social sciences, philosophy and critical thinking mostly.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Its nice to get lost for a while

• Like Like x 5
  6. #6 RAWGLOR, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    For the same reason as a poster above. I read to gain knowledge. To fill my head with different ideas.

• Like Like x 3
    This is one of our part while reading books we make ourselves relax and some keep it as a hobby too. Mainly some people read books for gaining knowledge, To research something, for gossips, develop thier lifestyle, etc., 

• Like Like x 2
  8. well, I like to read news articles, posts on ye ol grasscity, forums on cars and sometimes these little stories posted on GC. I enjoy it, its entertaining and most of all informative. nothing wrong learning about something someone or new ideas to bring to the table in the need.

9. Reading is an integral part of continuing the evolution of your mind. In a society where technology is becoming more and more integral, I think it's a necessity to bring up the younger generation with an appreciation for tangible research, periodicals and books. I have never been a book worm, but after I graduated high school I found myself increasingly more interested in the world now that there was no curriculum restricting my exploration of it. Now, reading lends itself to me as the foundation for which I can become self-sufficient and research what interests me.

• Like Like x 2
  10. helps me gain perspective.

11. #11 KFTGF, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 7
  12. It's a nice way to end the day and to state the obvious: expand my knowledge!

• Like Like x 1
  13. To see life in the perspective of others and taking advantage of our infinite sources of knowledge

• Like Like x 1
  14. #14 White Indian, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2013
    So I can be that asshole who comes out of movie theaters saying, "Yeah, that movie was alright. But it definitely wasn't as good as the book, man".

• Like Like x 5
  15. I on the other hand don't read at all...I wonder y dat is!!!!

16. In my eyes reading is one of the most productive things you can do. It entertains you as well as making you a well rounded person, not to mention reading makes a person more witty and intelligent which a lot of women find sexy.

• Like Like x 2
  17. To expand my mind, learn various things, give me knew ideas and things to think about

• Like Like x 1
  18. To lose myself in another reality for a while. It's also why I watch tv too.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Most movies are just crappy attempts to put a book on screen, so I skip the middle man and go straight to the source, much better for my brain anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I like to read because it's story telling. It's commutation. It's also nice to think that somebody wrote it, it's their thoughts just on paper. My favorite book of all time is The Count of Monte Cristo. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1