My new 300W LED Grow Light...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by edgeman, Nov 28, 2013.

1. #1 edgeman, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2013
    Newbie here, checking in.  Just starting my first ever grow with my new 300W Advanced Platinum LED Grow Light.  Here are some pictures of my set up.  This LED has 2 switches, one for vegging and one for flowering.  I only have the vegging light on for the seedlings under the covered tote.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. #2 BPK GrowOp, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2013
    Nice! That looks pretty good. What strains do you plan on running?

Subd

3. how big is the tent? subbed, looks good cant wait to follow your progress. i may suggest already that you buy another and set them on a bit of an angle left and right to improve coverage and penetration. also provides some fault tolerance, just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mob

4. #4 edgeman, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2013
    The tent is a 2'x4'x5' Lighthouse Hydro and the 300W Advanced Platinum LED is from AdvancedLEDgrow.com.  I just ordered a set of a set of iPower Heavy Duty Adjustable Grow Light Ratchet Rope Hanger to more easily raise and lower my LED.  I germinated 3 seeds each of White Widow, Aurora and Northern Lights from Nirvania in a separate cups overnight.  I sat them covered in coffee mugs on the cable box which I left on which gave it a tepid temperature.  After a day and a half the white root was poking out so I then carefully placed each in rooter plugs.  It's been only a day under the LED grow light and I am already seeing the White Widow rooting and starting it's upward ascent- very cool as it is my first growth.  In addition to some recreation, I want to make some Rick Simpson Oil (RSO) for a maintenance dosing.  No sooner than starting this effort, I get a call today on Thanksgiving from one of my dearest old friends that one his his dearest friends has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, uugghhh, like a punch in the stomach.  I told him that he needs some RSO....

5. #5 canadian69, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2013
    jesus, i feel for ya mate, lost my brother back in April to some f'd up sarcoma and my kids step dad just diagnosed with stage three rectal. my bro was only 28, so you guys out there fucking take care of yourselves, if that means the occasional finger up yer ass, so fucking be it. my brothers presented as testicular, wasnt until it was too late that they discovered what it actually was. oh, and by the way, universal health care! give yer heads a shake, no waiting lists, straight to chemo, surgery etc and palliative if needed. cradle to grave coverage, i am DUMBSTRUCK by the resistance Americans have to this simple basic right. single payer all the way, hope you can all join the civilized world some day.end of cancer rantSent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mob

I feel it. Too many racists and far right wingers over here. People vote based on what they hear about people not what theyre actually going to do. Were on track to universal health care we just need our president to have a backbone and say FUCK NO! to the republicans trying to change everything about the ACA. Theyre the ones causing it to cost more and no one sees it, theyre blaming it on Obama, who wasnt the best president but at least he helped cut our taxes opposed to raising them like Romney would have to cover the bankers from paying taxes. Id move out of here if i had the ability. Love america, love my rights, but hate how money has controlled politics now.

7. ya man, i hear ya. this election up here in 2015 will be telling, we actually have the Canadian equiv to Romney in power, with no where near a true majority, we have many parties, so not quite as polarized as USA, but pretty darn close, and right now its the right wing corp shills in power. Our problem is that we are too apathetic when it comes to voting. if we could just get all thos stoners off their asses eh. lol

Agreed!!! But its more than that. They throw down the big bucks to get ads out and shit. The only real way we can change things was if we put money together to help independents buy more ads and shit. I hate the fucking corruption in the country. We cant even pick between democrat and republican because theyre slowly blurring into one person who doesnt give a fuck about the people, only big corporations and lining his pocket. Check out the young turks on youtube if you havent seen them already. They have petitions going to help get laws in place to get money out of politics. No more "donations" aka legal bribes would turn this country on its head in a good way.

Ok political rant over, hope everything flowin good for ya Edge!

9. #9 edgeman, Dec 3, 2013
    <div style="margin:0px 0px 0px 200px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);"><div style="margin:0px;font-size:13px;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);"><div style="margin:0px 300px 0px 0px;"><div style="margin:0px;"> I am setting up a sea of green set up in a 2x4x5 Lighthouse Hydro tent in a Rubbermaid 54 gallon tub credit to DrGreenFinger's thread which paid homage to See More Buds here:

Grow 2 lbs. on a 2' x 4' 32 Site DIY Aeroponic Unit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

</div> 

</div></div><span style="text-align:right;">[​IMG]Edit Post <span style="margin:0px 5px;">  [​IMG]Reply   [​IMG]Reply With Quote   [​IMG] </span>Journal this Post <span style="margin:0px 5px;">      </span></span>

</div>

10. #10 canadian69, Dec 3, 2013
    fuckin A dude, keep at erclear container may be a mistake tho, algaeif you have a plant in each, top at the 2nd node and flower right away, thats a lot of small bud. should work, may need a second panel at some point, eager to see results! good going mate!

11. Day 9, I had my LED 23" from the seedlings, the first week. Now I have them at 18" from the net pots. Can i placed the 300W LED closer? I only have the vegging light- red wavelengths concentrated turned on.

12. veg=blueflower=redits an over simplification, but as a general rule.the closer the panel, the better the PAR values, but too close and bleaching or heat stress may occurthe more usable energy the plants have the closer the nodes will be, whihc is what you want, nice tight node progress, top at the second node even, if you are going for a lot of small buds, bigger plants i top after the fourth, then continue to fim until there are too many bud sites and terminus growth, eg. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1386152311.060203.jpg

13. probably about 30+bud sites on that one, its being used for breeding, but if i put at outside and let it go i would have over 18 colas. for reference the squares on the floor are 15"

14. #14 edgeman, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
    Well I have been going through some growing pains as I learn as I grow with the kindness of you folks. First off, after germinating the seeds in water and placing the seedlings in Rapid Rooter:

Day 6 with only the vegging switch on:
    [​IMG]

Day 8 - vegging swutched on:

[​IMG]

I wanted to get the neoprene covers on them but the Rapid Rooters were too large so I had to cut the lower half of the rooters and woefully extract some roots nearly sacrificing 3 plants to get them in their 2" pods. Then I knocked over my mini tote when I was messing with my sprinklers and mixed up the 3 strains I was growing so I'll have to identify them when they get older. I then germinated 3 more seeds (white widow, aurora, northern lights).

Day 14 - Now I have them all in the 2" net pots and nursing 3 of them back to health after mishaps. After messing with my sprinkler manifold i realize the most important thing- the EZ Clone micro sprayers SUCK! They trickle out water, the spraying pattern is worthless and nearly killed 3 of my plants starving them of water. I replaced them with sprayers I got from Lowes and it made all the difference in the world:
    [​IMG]

Using the full spectrum with both vegging and flowering switches on now:
    [​IMG]

My roots are starting to get healthy:
    [​IMG]

15. Looking nice man. What kind of strains you have in there? 
    Gonna be watching this, i'm interested in LED's 8)

16. #16 edgeman, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
    I have 3 white widows, 3 northern lights and 3 aurora, all feminized.  I also germinated tomatoes, cucumber and squash but someone pointed out to be that I would be wasting expensive nutes on garden veggies so I'm undecided whether to allow them to partake in the ntes.

17. \t  
    <blockquote class="">Day 16 - pH 6.4, nutes 400 ppm:
    [​IMG]

Roots developing nice and spikey:
    [​IMG]

Pictures with the bright 300W Advanced Platinum LED off:
    [​IMG]

How soon can I clone these ladies? Someone has to help me sort out which plants are white widow, northern lights and aurora as I knocked the mini-tote over when then where seedling and mixed them up!
    </blockquote>

18. #18 edgeman, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    I modified my sprayers manifold to 4 sprayers from the worthless 27 EZ Clone sprayers that I started out with.  I have 4 more taped holes that I can uncover to extend the spray should I be successful in cloning the plants hopefully next week.  I have to do research on keeping a mother cloner.  The ladies are growing more vigorously as I increased my nutes to 500 ppm.  The roots are extending into the water now:
    [​IMG]

As I had inadvertently mixed up my seedlings when I starting, I have to guess where my strains are.  I'm guessing the the 3 on the left are Northern Lights, the 2 in the middle are White Widow and the 2 on the right are Aurora.  Can someone confirm this?

Day 18, pH 6.1, nutes 500 ppm:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Woe is me...

Day 22 ph 5.8, nutes 900 ppm

Plants growing fast but now I am getting a splotchy yellow specks along with an upward curl on my leaves! What is the cause of these symptoms? LEDs too close? Let me review what has transpired. First I added ph down to knock the ph 6.4 down to a 5.7 but I overshot and put the ladies under duress when the ph read 4.0! Of course it was 12 midnight so the plants had to suffer during the night. The next morning I got a box of 20 Mule Team Borax to kick up the pH, overshooting to pH 6.6. Damn rollercoaster, added some water and pH down to get it to 5.8. My nutes are reading 900 ppm. Is this the result of adding pH +/- powder chemicals?

I had been splashing water on my leaves to kick up the humidity as it has been settling at 32%. Could the water drops magnified the LED light to burn the leaves? I also had lowered the LED light from 26" to 20" the last 3 days, could that have heat stressed the plants? I raised it back to 26" today.

Or is this a cal-mag deficiency? Or am I getting nute burn? Some many variables in my first grow. Any input is appreciated.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. I had never increased my nutes above 700 ppm.  I'm thinking that the 900 ppm reading was affected by the powdered pH down, then up and then down again chemicals that I added.  Although I do think I had a nute lock out situation when my pH dropped to 4.0 for 7 hours before i could rescue it with pH up.  I diluted my reservoir adding 40% more tap water which backed my nutes reading to 750 ppm but it has crept up to 800 ppm.  I gather that my ladies are taking in my water and less nutes if it is creeping up in the reading.  The new growth looks normal.  Anyways, the pH rollercoaster was stressful to the plants and me.  I think I may start cloning the taller ones soon.  I'm thinking about adding another 30" x 18" x 35" mother and clone tent.

Day 25
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]