Dawgs Waltz Sour Diesel 600watt 1st Indoor Grow (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by NS89, Nov 28, 2013.

1. #1 NS89, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
    Hi all!
    Somewhat of a repost. Title says it all. 

Sour Diesel clones are about a week and a half behind the Dawgs Waltz (Tres Dawg x Purple Urkle). So far so good minus giving my Sour clones a little nute burn. They are recovering nicely.

Stats:
    • 600watt HPS & MH lighting (now 1000watt)
    • 2x Sour Diesel, 2x Dawgs Waltz
    • FoxFarm Ocean Forest soil with a LOT of perlite mixed in

The grower who helped me out with the clones advised medium to heavy defoliation of the Dawgs Waltz, so once they get a bit more established I am going to start taking fan leaves off.

Both Dawgs Waltz have already been topped, but I have more vertical than horizontal space so I intend to set up some twine as a semi-SCROG net, but without the SCROG'in (just so they have some support).

Going to be mainly updating when pictures. Hoping to veg for about a month more and then flowerama time!

The grow room!

[​IMG]

With ghetto reflective foam insulation door, which actually works well since stealth is not a concern

[​IMG]

Plants! Pic taken just over a week ago

[​IMG]

Dawgs Waltz Close Up

[​IMG]

Dawgs Waltz Today

[​IMG]

Grow Room Lighting

[​IMG]

Sour Diesel, still recovering and a bit stretched. It will recover :)

[​IMG]

I'll keep posting pictures as things start looking good!

2. Defoliation round 1 on the Dawgs Waltz! Took off quite a few fan leaves. I think it's going to really make it bush out because it opened up light to the interior of the plant dramatically. Only draw back is this will definitely slow veg by a little bit but I'm patient. 

Planning to do it one more time before flower, probably in about 2 weeks.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

3. #3 aj69420g, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2013
    we have very similar operations, i use 600w lights as well as 5 gal home depot buckets lol. I use pro-mix now though but nice grow!  They look a little nitro rich and seem to be giving slight ramhorns syndrom. Your on the right track with the defoliation, your friend who is the expert seems like a good source of advice. When you remove the foliage they suck up more water and make more foliage and a quicker rate. I do the same thing.

You seem to be on the right track with lst training them too, i do the same thing, you should check out my grow as I will be following yours.

I use the same duct boosters too. :) Oh also your light needs to stay within 1ft of the tops of your plants. after 1ft the amount of lumens recieved is 25% so if you have a 80,000 lumen bulb, after a foot they only get 20k. And it diminishes at an exponential rate. Plus that causes stretching too, try to keep your light at 1ft or closer. My lights are 8 inches away cause my x2 420 cfm 8inch boosters run in a cool basement in the winter so my op stays @ 75. I use one 420 cfm for cold intake to my tent and 420cfms off the lights. as exhaust. Basement stays around 65 degrees.

Hope I helped. You should notice more compact node/leaf growth.

4. don't forget when they recover from the move smack those gurls around they can take it. ps add a cfl while they are young to help with the spectrum of light its not a necessity but helps with lower buds and can be put closer but you wont need them later.

Hey there! Thanks for the reply. The bottom leaves have done a very mild curl but otherwise all plants considered are in really great shape. It's cool to hear from someone running a similar set up.

I'm away from them for a couple days (they have a caretaker) but am planning to post more pictures when I get back from business later this week.

Also, I am redoing my ventilation later this week to install a 334 CFM Can Max can fan along with a 200 CFM Phresh carbon filter because even now, it REEKS in there! Wow. Can't wait to see what it's like when they are flowering. 

I've been keeping my light about 6 or so inches away from the tops and am still getting optimal temperatures (ranging from 72 to 77 usually) with an average RH of about 40 - 45% lately. 

Once they grow up a bit more I'm putting an X type screen above them for support, and then the super cropping will begin about two weeks before they flower. I intend to veg them for at least 4 more weeks to get a larger harvest, so a couple more tops and tie downs are very much in order.

6. oh yeah you can expect a decent yield from all of that good stuff.. id say 3-5 o's a plant. depending on how dense it comes out. I had some denser smaller nugs and i ended up getting 8.5 off one plant. cause it was spread out more and for some reason responded better to more phos than the others. Awesome job tho man! grow on

7. #7 NS89, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2013
    Quick update, just got back from my trip and the plants are looking great. A couple of the leaves however have some discoloration... anyone know what this is? 

It is only happening on the Dawgs Waltz plants strangely. Both Dawgs Waltz and the Sour D's are getting the same water, and are in the same soil. Not sure what the deal is, but it only seems to be affecting 2 or 3 sets of fan leaves on each so I'm not stressing about it yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I looked around but it may be a calcium/magnesium deficiency according some pictures I saw, which is hard to believe given they are pretty new plants. Any opinions would be helpful. I have been using tap water up until now but I think I am going to transition to filtered water for better PH results. 

[​IMG]

Additionally, I tied down all the plants again to keep them open, and did some experimental super cropping on the Sour Diesel plants since they are just STRETCHING SO HARD! This is despite the fact that the light is literally 6 or less inches away. They are responding well as of this morning though!

[​IMG]

They are exploding growth-wise, especially the Dawgs Waltz in terms of their bushiness. I am going to let the Dawgs Waltz recover for a few days from being tied down and then am going to do round 2 of defoliation. I am not defoliating the Sour Diesels however, as the grower who gave me the clones advised against it.

I have no idea what it will yield, but I did just grab a 600 Watt USHIO Super-HPS bulb for the grow phase. I have read bad reviews about Apollo's HPS bulbs, so I figured it's worth it to get a decent bulb for flowering. As far as my MH goes, I don't care since 600 watts of metal halide power under veg seems to be working out perfectly.

8. Waz gud bro  I don't know for sure which nutrient deficiency the plants have but you should do a couple things like make sure you let the water sit out at room temp for like a day or two before you use it tap has chlorine,fluoride, and other chemicals humans need but plants don't so leaving it out will let them evaporate out. Then make sure ur buckets drain well but stay wet and ps get a (N)(P)(K) tester and ppm tester to make sure you don't over water and over feed.

Good call. Thanks for the reply. I really don't think it's a deficiency as the soil is still plenty fresh and very high quality. Could be a PH issue. I'll take your recommendation on letting it sit out at room temperature. I just dropped a few hundred bucks to re-do my ventilation in my grow room, but as soon as I get a few more $$ i'll pick up a PH tester pen. Crucial equipment!

10. @[member="NS89"] prolly right but you never know a d send some pics of the new vent setup.

11. #11 aj69420g, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2013
    Pic 2 looks like the beginnings on a phos def could be due to lack of it in soil or more likely PH. While pic 1 looks like the starting of a calcium def IMO.

If your using tap water your probably right in thinking its pH. The only other thing it could be is some type of mineral buildup in your soil from your water.

Get distilled water like you were thinking and add a couple drops of lemon juice to it. Your gonna wanna flush with that to rid yourself of buildups or ph issues. sometimes buildups in minerals can cause ph issues because of the alkalinity or acidity of the buildup.

So it looks like the route you should take would be a flush. remember 3x the amount of soil so 15 gallons per bucket.

Thanks for the advice man, I appreciate it.

To clarify, what would a bit of lemon juice do to help?

And 15 Gallons of water... you mean spread out over a pretty solid amount of time right? Otherwise I would assume this would drown them. I will go ahead and add some Cal Mag to my next watering to make sure things are in the right place for them. 

13. #13 aj69420g, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2013
    No a 15 gallon flush all at once, sounds bad but you wanna basically give 1 or 2 gallons then let your 5 gal bucket drip and then you empty whatever its dripping into and repeat til youve reached 15 gallons into the top of your plant. Think of your medium like a sponge. everything in it soaks up water, and the water its soaked with is incorrect pH. 

So the idea is to ensure every piece of your medium is soaked with pH correct.  And rinses out everything logged with water. your plant will be shocked and so will the root base for a day or so thats fine. its ok if the plant moves around during watering, the more water sitting at the top of your bucket the more pressure on the water running through correcting your pH has. making it more effective. But also putting the whole plant and root system into shock until it dries out. This is when breather tubes in your 5 gal buckets are beneficial. Along with concentrated h202 for hydro mixed in all feed water in low doses. Helps the soil water evaporate faster and dry quicker, coupled with a breather tube I was able to flush all mine with 20 gallons (10 before transplant and 10 after) and they were dry 38 hours later nice n light. But i run 1200w too. but its still 4 pots to a 600w light like you.

No matter what you do a flush will shock it to some extent, but its fixing a much greater problem.

The lemon juice is acidic, distilled water comes out pH 7.0 generally ( i bought 1 gal jugs consistently and checked pH with a pen my first grow, was always 6.9 or 7.0).
    If its a 1 gallon jug 3 drops should bring it right to 6.5/6.6 (where you want it) if my memory serves me correct. The 7.0 (without the lemon juice) might be fine but your doing this and using good clean water this time to correct your pH and not possibly continue adding whatever might be building up in your medium (IE the mineral buildup i was talking about thats why your getting distilled this time)
    your not doing this to get it close enough. So you definitely wanna bring the pH down some. An easy way is minute maid lemon juice. 

Believe me they will droop for a day or so but just dont water them for a while. and they will flex back, up to you to remove damaged leaves or not i usually do if they are lower. If the lower ones start flattening out and yellowing/pale pale greening on you from the tips towards the base stem of the fan leave after a few days, you've done your job. That just means they are nitro deficient you unlocked the nutrient that it wasnt able to uptake due to pH issues but flushing like that causes you to take all the nutrients out of the soil. That just means they r hungry and ready for low dose nutes.

Hope that hepled.

14. #14 NS89, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2013

Hey, thanks for the extensive write up. I'll give this a shot shortly. Need to pick up some lemon juice, but that's a neat trick to balance the PH of distilled water.

I have a hunch they are not ready for nutes yet as I've grown outdoors in FoxFarm and know that it's pretty saturated with fertilizer. Overall the Dawgs Waltz look 95% healthy by all measures, just a few off leaves. Going to see how they behave after the PH rebalance and go from there!

Spent some hours redoing the ventilation... 85% of the way there. Need to make the weather-sealed door and I'll be in great shape.

New Carbon Filter & 6" Can Max Fan ventilation system

[​IMG]

The ladies 2 days after the most recent tie down

[​IMG]

One of the Sour D plants - bit stretched but still looking strong

[​IMG]

Second Sour D plant, growing phenomenally

[​IMG]

Defolation, LST, and selective bending on the Dawgs Waltz has REALLY made them bushy. Can't wait to defoliate again soon.

[​IMG]

15. lookin good my man way better than mine atm. im jealous! keep on growin!

16. #16 NS89, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013

Thanks man, looks like yours is coming along too. Always a fun time.

Had some time today and got around to round 2 defoliation on the Dawgs Waltz. Took off A LOT of fan leaves. So far so good, I can't wait to compare growth in about 15 days.

They are going to be mega bushy before flower!

DW #1, before

[​IMG]

DW #1, after

[​IMG]

DW #2, before

[​IMG]

DW #2, after

[​IMG]

Planning to flower right after Christmas or so, we'll see if they are ready. I think extra time vegging = much better yields since I have the space. Next to set up is the rope system, and then super cropping leading into flowering post-stretch!

17. #18 NS89, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
    Quick morning update with tons of pictures!

The Sour Diesels just want to STRETCH but I won't let them. I figure that is going to be the challenge of my grow - one light with two strains that are vastly different. The Dawgs Waltz is intentionally being defoliated to keep them busy and not growing tall (for maximum yield) and now I'm seeing how important it is to train the Sour Diesels.

Crazy pulley system that centers my light exactly how I want it on all axis

[​IMG]

DW #2, 2.5 days after being defoliated - already bouncing back like a champ!

[​IMG]

DW #1, same story as above - looking real strong post-pruning

[​IMG]

Sour D #1, not symmetrical or pretty but growing strongly! I haven't even topped it and it already has 6 branches shooting upward. LST = win

[​IMG]

Sour D #2, same story more or less. She is a bit less robust than #1 but still growing very well and looking healthy!

[​IMG]

Last pic, shot of the garden. They are getting to be about 8 -  10" tall, but they would easily be much much larger if not for LST / defoliation on the DW

[​IMG]

Hey, I am on Denver/Front Range tap water, but I filter it and per the direction of another poster, add a tiny bit (drop or two) of lemon juice to balance the pH out. Honestly though I haven't been testing my pH which I definitely should be, but so far so good so I'm not worrying too much. Dropped a bit more $$$ to get the set up I wanted so that extra cash for the pH pen will have to be a Christmas gift to myself haha.

Pretty exciting, keep posting pictures in your grow sir. 

19. [quote name="NS89" post="19142642" timestamp="1386776117"]Hey, I am on Denver/Front Range tap water, but I filter it and per the direction of another poster, add a tiny bit (drop or two) of lemon juice to balance the pH out. Honestly though I haven't been testing my pH which I definitely should be, but so far so good so I'm not worrying too much. Dropped a bit more $$$ to get the set up I wanted so that extra cash for the pH pen will have to be a Christmas gift to myself haha.Pretty exciting, keep posting pictures in your grow sir. [/quote]Ah nice, yeah, I just got a $10 ph pen online. I use a big capful of ph down per 5 gallons water but you are right and don't seem to be having any problems. :)Is this your first grow? This is my second. And I'm a girl. Don't get beat by a girl :pon my second grow: 1000W Coco Sour Diesel SCROGhttp://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1255714-1000W-Coco-Sour-Diesel-SCROG