pHarmers Cannaculture Corner

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by SoCal Nature Farmer, Nov 26, 2013.

1. #121 DeadLeaf, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    I've grown in 3gal plastic for most my growing carrier but I've used 5gal SP's for almost a year now, and I've recently upgraded to 10gal SP's. Lol
    Also: I start with 3inch square plastic pots or party cups which I'm upgrading to 4inch squares and depending what I'm gonna do with the plant it's either going straight into the 5's and 10's or it might go into 1 gal plastic pots before tp into 10's if I'm gonna keep it in veg longer. Little unorganized but I plan on just running tens to reduce the confusion. lol

2. XD why did you decide to go up to the 10? I'm thinking I will eventually use the 7gal once my height limit isn't an issue anymore.

Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I'm using tens cuz now my height limits aren't an issue anymore! lol have you seen my new grow room???
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410572356.911432.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410572412.408813.jpg
    2000watts, 5x9 and 7 feet overhead clearance! ;)

4. Yeah I've seen it! Man I can't wait to get this move underway so I can start messing with my new area. Going to start using a 17x10 room, trying to arrange the space somehow into 2 flower rooms with a veg/mom space as well a cloning area while still having space for a water bubbling/tea brewing area. Think I can do it? Trying to have 4x8 flower areas with a 5x5 area for veg/moms. To use my 2x4 tent still I'm going to build a frame to split it in half and use it as a clone area. Would also like to have a 4x4 space for drying. Going to be quite the challenge fitting everything. What all are you using for your perpetual setup?

5. Hey pHarmer, sorry got drunk last night and passed out. lol
    In veg I'm using a 6 bulb 4ft t5 by hydrofarm over a (roughly) 3x4 area with very little height restrictions, I could probably grow them 3 or 4ft tall before flower if I wanted. At one end of the t5 fixture I have a 4ft double t8 mounted to a small shelf for clones and seedlings. Above that i have some household cfls for extra clones and small plants. when all lights are on there is enough light to fill the entire room with plants.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410614796.093516.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410614833.799547.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410614860.499234.jpg

So plants that are ready can just go straight into flower on their own schedule in my new 2000watt flower room which you've seen already. And when they are harvested, there is a hidden space behind the flower room for drying and curing.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410615054.766497.jpg
    The space is like 5x2 I think.
    All together I'm using a 10x10 room with a closet that adds another 2x3ft. Removed the closet door and just framed an area surrounding the closet for veg. Leaves exactly 9x5 for flower space. Stapled panda plastic curtains to the ceiling for light protection. Hopefully I can get a proper perpetual this time around.

6. Nice, before switching to LEDs I used a 8bulb 4ft t5 by Hydrofarm with the CWs for vegging. Loved the performance of them, going to be using them again to clone and veg once I have more room to run more plants. Can't wait to hurry up and get this crop out of the way so I can move! Can't wait to be perpetual, all this running out of medicine makes things to complicated.

7. Yeah man, I haven't run out but I went and got some more meds anyway cuz I didn't have any sativa. Got WhiteAK, KandyKush and BlueCrack. Personally...I regret going ..I think. Shoulda just tried to hold out. But oh well.

LED's for veg- I really love the idea. Did I mention or did you see I use a small LED for seedlings and clones? I love that little thing. One day perhaps ill upgrade to a full size LED system for vegging. This t5 fixture gets kinda warm but at least it will keep things warm during the winter. And I can't wait to run a full room of plants under 2k. Idk..I might start off with just 1200watts depending how cold it gets by the time I'm ready to hit the switch.

8. Plants are doing good, noticed some problems on a few leaves. Had some copper spotting, removed the metal stakes I was using to assist in plant manipulation. Guess the coating came off and started to cause rust or some sort of metal issue. As I removed the pins from the soil it was clear to see it was the cause of the problem. Watered and gave all a Neem foliar. Lights remained @26".

9/14 GSC Day 4 in 1gal pots, Plants started Day 1 @3"-4":

9-14, GSC day 4 in 1gal pots.jpg

GSC 9-14, Given Neem treatment.jpg

Copper spotting is getting better, plants are getting greener. Going to add another cup of Wood Ash per gal of water as a soil drench next time I water to make sure possible pH problem is fixed. Potassium Silicate foliar spray given to all girls, light still remaining at 26" plants @5"-6" in height.

9/15 GSC Day 5, Plants @5"-6" In height:

9-15 GSC, first P. Si foliar spray.jpg

9-15, GSC clones.jpg

Coppering I was talking about from the metal pins:

9-15, Coppering from metal pins.jpg

9. Yeah if I had money to spend my grow would have as few problems as possible, but for now im still slow building the best I can. I love the way my LEDs are performing in Veg, I originally purchased them as a replacement for my flower tent tho. Going to be running 520w of LED in a 4x4 and compare it against my 600w HPS grow I did last run. If all goes as planned I will be purchasing a few more to run 1040w and compare it against my 1200w HPS/MH mix grow. When do you plan on making the flip for your girls? Also what clips do you use to pin your girls to the soil early on?

10. Might be a month before I send these girls under the HPS. I wanted hermi girl to finish first so I can do an extended 600watt veg before flip. But she might have to come down early. Need to take clones first, and that's probably another 2 weeks away maybe. Still trying to figure out what I'm gonna do cuz I have 5 GFBA and 4 BubbleQueen to worry about too. GFBA is passed due for TP and starting to stress.. :unsure:

11. Hey pharmer!

I been using Dixie to 1 gallon (plastic) then move to 5 gallon fabric pots. You see any advantage going to the 7 gallons.. The ladies handling the light at 26 inches...  Interesting...

12. #132 SoCal Nature Farmer, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2014
    10/8 GSC Day 27, Plants are looking amazing, leaf angles are unlike anything I have seen so far. With the SS-260's, once the plants acclimate to the intensity at a factory warning of 30", you can start lowering 3-4" every few days. Watch for any light stress signs such as drooping or bleaching until you reach a sweet spot, for veg 24"-30", & for flower 20"-24" depending on the strain. So kept the light @30" and the plants are doing absolutely perfect! Also added some Barley Straw for mulch until I can get a cover crop going:

GSC day 27, leaves looking great UG.jpg

GSC Day 27 leaves @ 80 degree angle UG.jpg

Group shot before doing some training for a more even canopy, next run I want to get a scrog net/table going & see how it improves things:

GSC day 27, before training UG.jpg

After, plants @9" lights lowered but still @30":

GSC day 27, After training UG.jpg

GSC in 2x4 tent, day 3 in 1gal also bent over for training, planning on turning these into moms for clones for a short bit then move them to bloom. *Everything w/ mulch is in organic living soil, will go more over soil in future posts* Plants @6" Light @18":

GSC in 2x4 UG.jpg

Bodhi Pura Vida seed popped thru the surface on the 7th and fully opened on the 8th, opened with 2 sets of leaves. Seedling @1 1/2" light at 26", added 3tsp Vermicompost & Barley straw. Clones doing fine, have 1 GSC, 2 Gods Gift, & 2 Afghan Kush, will change water soon:

Babies 10-8 UG.jpg

Bodhi Pura Vida seed fully opened UG.jpg

Also added some more soil to some 1gal pots, trying to be completely no till so put the cups in ahead of time so I don't disturb the microbe colonies. Added some mulch around them and wet it in with a foliar spray of Potassium silicate. All plants (besides the seed) given Potassium Silicate foliar spray:

Added some more soil UG.jpg

Hey man! How are things going for ya?!

Initially when I was looking to purchase the pots I wanted something that would do great for now in a small space but also I knew I wouldn't be sticking with a tent for long. So I wanted something that I could still use later without having to re purchase pots & went with the 7gal. So unfortunately I don't have the experience with anything else to offer a solid opinion, just Dixie cups, 1gal to 7gal.

But from looking at your grow, if your using the 5gal pots and can easily outgrow your tent. Then I would imagine 7gal would only offer an improvement on that. Usually I have enough Veg time to get the added benefit out of the 7gal pots, unfortunately I am trying to get thru this harvest as fast as I can for a move. So im not going to be able to veg them in the 7gal for as long as id like to, plan on making the flip tomorrow actually. But some other ways I find a 7gal can be helpful, say its winter and you want to add some rock to the bottom of your pots to keep them off the cold floor, or the added space for mulching and topdressing. You could technically use 5gal of soil and the rest of the space as whatever advantage you wanted to.

Yeah they handled the light pretty well thru veg in the 1gal. For some reason once I put them in the 7gal pots if I have it any lower then 30" they start drooping and bleaching. Had to raise the lights last night actually as the growth put the light at 27" and didn't even think about it until I saw them start drooping.

14. Everything is looking great Pharmer! Have my next grow going and am loving the white LED . Had a good harvest with some top shelf meds. The Solar Spec did a awesome job. Had a very good seed harvest. This grow we decided to put the Solar Spec in the middle of the tent and keep it high and provide light to all of the plants and use the 100 x 3 over each plant. In my experience once you transplant them they need a few days to reestablish their root growth. What is your feeding / watering schedule? We are giving them 1 1/2 gallon every 2 to 3 days and they are really drinking. Had some PH issues last grow but that has been corrected this round.

15. Nice veg under those solar spec white lights, you know the kelvin on em?

Thank you!

Yeah the Standard spectrum kelvin rating is 3410k, the Equatorial spectrum is 3042k.

HTH

17. So started flower on 10/13, gave them 24hrs of darkness before the flip. This was the first time they have ever had darkness as I run 24hr veg. When lights came on for first time I noticed some crazy yellowing in the centers almost looked like nitrogen burn: 

GSC10-14 yellowing.jpg

But after like 2-3 hours it was completely normal colored and there wasn't any drastic yellowing so figured ok guess we will see what happens tomorrow and it happened again, crazy yellow but then got better here's what they look like & after a few hours:

10-14 GSC Day 2 of flower.jpg

GSC10-14 Green after a few hrs.jpg

Other then that everything is perfect leaves are still "praying" and growth is still happening so who knows xD. Ill try and get some better pics when they come on tonight, added some crates to keep them off the ground as its starting to get cold around here at night.

18. The yellowing just means they are growing fast! :) that's all. Imagine that the yellow parts are the new growth and they green up pretty fast as the hours roll on.

19. GSC Day 7 of flower, growth is good leaves are still @60-80 angles plants @14"-16" lights @28".

1413863928369.jpg

1413863941039.jpg

BPV seedling is starting to take off, wondering if I should transplant it into the 1gal or wait a bit.

1413863961622.jpg

20. Everything is looking  good pharmer! I run my plants in Dixie cups and have let them get between 8 - 12 inches... They are pretty root bound when I take them out to transplant.