pHarmers Cannaculture Corner

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by SoCal Nature Farmer, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Yep I use one of those seedling mats have to be careful with it cause it will dry out my jiffy pucks fast... Who makes MOAB I have heard of it but never saw it. Being ex-military a MOAB stood for The GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast ..... one heck of a bomb!

2. What kind of pests are you dealing with? Have you tried habanero water? I soaked some pepper seeds in water and sprayed the garden. I was happy with the results. Deals with thrips aphids and mites I think

3. [quote name="corkybuchek" post="19188820" timestamp="1387416702"]What kind of pests are you dealing with? Have you tried habanero water? I soaked some pepper seeds in water and sprayed the garden. I was happy with the results. Deals with thrips aphids and mites I think[/quote]Starting out I had a LOT of spider mite issues, Neem Oil has been the only thing that has effectively helped. I usually try not to use it but when I see a mite or two on a plant in a corner. The whole room goes on Code 7 Red Alert Lock Down! Gets the Neem every 3 days for 2 weeks. But I have tried painting each individual leaf with a Habenero Pepper solution. Basically took the peppers & seeds and slowly simmered them, then strained and tada! Only problem is out took HOURS to do a coating, spraying was not an option. It was virtually like pepper spray, had trouble breathing for days after some times. But I'd be happy to try any suggestion you have, as long as it doesn't cause these effects >.<But so far Neem as preventive measures & as a combatant, have worked really well so far. :) Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. #44 corkybuchek, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2013
    I like cooking with peppers!

I top dress the seeds into the vermicompost bin, so it should give peppers at some point. Probably

I also use neem to add when I warm the tea up, it is effective. Especially when conditions are right. Ie, A plant in shock would be a bad condition for adding neem. Lights on fresh spray etc.

Are you adding dish soap?

Then there's always the possibility the insects are there because of a mineral or pH imbalance?

5. [quote name="corkybuchek" post="19194432" timestamp="1387496436"]I like cooking with peppers! I top dress the seeds into the vermicompost bin, so it should give peppers at some point. ProbablyI also use neem to add when I warm the tea up, it is effective. Especially when conditions are right. Ie, A plant in shock would be a bad condition for adding neem. Lights on fresh spray etc.Are you adding dish soap?Then there's always the possibility the insects are there because of a mineral or pH imbalance?[/quote]No I am not adding any dish soap, it could be a mineral imbalance. My soil is very basic and I don't do any feedings or adding, just tap water that i bubble for at least 30 min before use.Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

WD,

Interesting, bud.  It's also known as the "Mother of all bombs", right?  The Russian has a bigger one than us.  Yeah, it's cool.. Looks like a mini A/Hydrogen bomb going off.  My dad used to work on "Puff the Magic Dragons".  lol.   Remember the condensation from the humidity when the ac was turned on the Hercules with the jet like turbo-props whistling pre-warming.  Also been on the "Puff's Magic dragon on a run before.  The concussion was incredible.  Feels like u standin in a room full of M-1000's going off next to u.  Talk bout a rush.. lol.

7. Yep that's what we called it... Seeing a A10 Warthog spinning up its cannon was an awesome sight...

8. Starting out I had a LOT of spider mite issues, Neem Oil has been the only thing that has effectively helped. I usually try not to use it but when I see a mite or two on a plant in a corner. The whole room goes on Code 7 Red Alert Lock Down! Gets the Neem every 3 days for 2 weeks.

But I have tried painting each individual leaf with a Habenero Pepper solution. Basically took the peppers & seeds and slowly simmered them, then strained and tada! Only problem is out took HOURS to do a coating, spraying was not an option. It was virtually like pepper spray, had trouble breathing for days after some times.
    But I'd be happy to try any suggestion you have, as long as it doesn't cause these effects >.<

But so far Neem as preventive measures & as a combatant, have worked really well so far. :)

PharmerX,

If u can get cheap bulk tobacco and make tea with it and spray/soak the entire plant.  U can then mulch the boiled remains into the soil media to further kill those bastards as they drop or try to crawl to and spread to others.  I actually mix tobacco into my soil mix when I prepare my "supersoil".  I use a combo of tobacco and a dash of dish soap for a wetting agent and fried their damn eggs.

9. Mono Potassium Phosphate – a synthetic fertilizer that is processed by mixing phosphoric acid with potassium chloride and then heated to remove all traces of hydrogen and chloride. It is used widely as a fertilizer when high levels of phosphorous and potassium are needed.

Mono Ammonium Phosphate – a synthetic fertilizer formed when phosphoric acid is mixed with ammonia. It is mainly used in the blending of dry agricultural fertilizers. It supplies Phosphorous (52%).

Not in my garden...

j

10. Mono Potassium Phosphate – a synthetic fertilizer that is processed by mixing phosphoric acid with potassium chloride and then heated to remove all traces of hydrogen and chloride. It is used widely as a fertilizer when high levels of phosphorous and potassium are needed.

Mono Ammonium Phosphate – a synthetic fertilizer formed when phosphoric acid is mixed with ammonia. It is mainly used in the blending of dry agricultural fertilizers. It supplies Phosphorous (52%).

Not in my garden...

Jerry11165,

Truth of matters is most of the chemicals used to make commercial nutrients we use are made this way as this is chemistry.   If u use chemical nutes, this is an inconvenient truth.  You'll be hard-pressed to find anything healthy sounding process of extraction in chemistry.  Look up "Heath Robinson" grows if u haven't yet heard of him.  He uses only basic grow/bloom without any additives and obtain tremendous yields of over 2.15g/w from an indoor plant using dwc variations.  This also discredit  the use of specialize "bloom" additives the nute companies has successfully convinced the market in doing so.  Please note that he did this with HID, but I was demonstrating the fact about the use of chemical fertilizers.  I personally prefer organic, using mostly worm tea and organic mixtures.

Oh, I understand - I used the chem nutes for a long time. We don't normally see folks using them here in the Organics forum. To each his/her own. 

Yep - the bloom boosters are a load of hooey. 

what do you mean by worm tea?

j

12. Oh, I understand - I used the chem nutes for a long time. We don't normally see folks using them here in the Organics forum. To each his/her own. 

Yelp. It's a matter of preference.  Besides, I have no choice because none of the canna specific products are avail. where I reside, and prefer the smoothness and flavor of organic meds.  I used to run chem nutes when I was experimenting ways to maximize yield with high-circulating system.

Yep - the bloom boosters are a load of hooey. 

what do you mean by worm tea? A method of brewing a bio-rich solution consisting of fresh worm castings I custom fed with high-potassium and phosphorous things like banana peels, pumpkin/squash, blended fish and fresh pork blood.  These are not just high in NPK values, along with calcium, Mg, and nearly all essential elements, vitamins, and minerals.  The worm castings are mixed with aerated water and fed with molasses or other forms of sugar to feed the beneficial microbial content for 12-24 hours.  The finished solution can then be used as a foliar or root fed.  Another great benefit of utilizing worms is to break down organic matters and turning them into usable, readily available for plant uptake.  No chem nutes can compare to nutrients that have been broken down by the enzymes in its digestive system as nature intended.  Plants are custom designed by nature to exist in nature, so the best thing to do is understand and emulate it, not force it to grow or behave a certain way as the nute companies would have us believing. 

Hey pHarmer - that seems real low to me. I'm running 77 pretty much constantly. Very little fluctuation. Now that I have CO2 running as well I will increase the temperature to as much as 80. But there's only a 2 or 3 fluctuation. 

Is it possible to put a heater in there for when the temperatures drop? And if the floor is cold maybe you could put something under the plants to keep them off of it. 

For what it's worth.  :)

14. As for you Chief,

That sounds amazing, I was wondering what you used the tobacco for! Is there any specific brand? I figured it could be harmful to use, as its highly sprayed and highly irradiated? How much do you add per gallon of soil for your mix, as well as for your Spray?

PharmerX,

I buy the cheap bulk tobacco the locals use here for like $10/kg. I put about a handful per 1/2gal and boil bit for 10 mins let cool, mixed with 10% alcohol(min. 70proof), few drops dishwasher as wetting agent, and thoroughly spray to soaked everyday for a week or until they give up. The over-spray will drip into the soil killing the ones that was knocked off from spraying and the light alcohol content will hopefully dry up some the eggs since it's a contact killer. U can spray right up to harvest since it's not toxic.  I'm allergic to nicotine, but I never had any of my meds that have been recently sprayed give me probs. My guess is maybe the nicotine is not absorb by plant and eventually was off since I dunk all my meds in h2o2 solution to sanitize it. Apparently nicotine is also toxic to many other destructive insects. 

15. PharmerX,

Sorry got ahead of myself.  Yes, I mulch it directly into the soil so it will help kill the bad guys in the soil at 250g per 5gal soil. This is especially useful when growing outdoors or other potential pest infestation environment. My worms seems to like the left over pulp from boiling the tea solution.

16. [quote name="Output" post="19207284" timestamp="1387678720"]Hey pHarmer - that seems real low to me. I'm running 77 pretty much constantly. Very little fluctuation. Now that I have CO2 running as well I will increase the temperature to as much as 80. But there's only a 2 or 3 fluctuation. Is it possible to put a heater in there for when the temperatures drop? And if the floor is cold maybe you could put something under the plants to keep them off of it. For what it's worth. :)[/quote]Yea one of my biggest issues right now is the temperature. I'm working on getting a hygrometer, but each time I go to the hydro shop. My girl tells me just to get a cheap one from the dollar store, we go to the dollar store and she says they don't look like they'd work. >.< So I believe she might have got me one as a stocking stuffer, so im holding off on that. Each time I plug in a heater the damn breaker flips, so for now i've got seedling mats on the floor between the tent tray and the tent floor. As soon as I switch to the HPS I know the temps will even out real quick, I just use the LEDs thru the 2 weeks of pre-flower to maintain internodal spacing. So its still a bit cold, but right now temps in the room with both tents on are 70-75. To get this I had to leave the door to the room open with a fan blowing air into the room. The house I live in is over 100 years old and still uses the old style wall heaters in the living room. So with the house set for 80, the fan blowing in warm air made a great difference. I'll just shut the door when the HPS is on and then the internal temps will rise and ill be fine. I'm really glad to hear your room is close to completion, the service on your Co2 equipment was truly remarkable!Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. [quote name="monkeychief68" post="19207444" timestamp="1387680451"]PharmerX,Sorry got ahead of myself. Yes, I mulch it directly into the soil so it will help kill the bad guys in the soil at 250g per 5gal soil. This is especially useful when growing outdoors or other potential pest infestation environment. My worms seems to like the left over pulp from boiling the tea solution.[/quote]Its all good man, I read your posts all over on the site. I swear each post you make on LEDs I've gotta run and grab my pad and start taking notes. >.< So no worries, I'm going to definitely have to give this a go. Only task now is sourcing cheap Bulk tobacco in Southern Cali, I'm assuming this could be a difficult task?Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Your house sounds really interesting. With your hotter lights, I'm sure your temperatures will do much better. 

That really was something regarding the generator. I'm glad I spent the money that I did to get it. 

All that I'm missing in the room now is just my carbon filter. It's already in use for the small plants I got going. 

I can't wait to get everything transplanted tomorrow. Hopefully with the pH adjusted water things will just fly right along now.

19. [quote name="Output" post="19207898" timestamp="1387685491"]Your house sounds really interesting. With your hotter lights, I'm sure your temperatures will do much better. That really was something regarding the generator. I'm glad I spent the money that I did to get it. All that I'm missing in the room now is just my carbon filter. It's already in use for the small plants I got going. I can't wait to get everything transplanted tomorrow. Hopefully with the pH adjusted water things will just fly right along now.[/quote]Lol interesting to say the least, with no insulation in the room walls if its 20 outside its maybe 26 in the room >.<. So its been fun having to figure out exactly how to run ventilation to get the best results for each season. During the summer it gets up to 115 in the shade, I'm happy to deal with the cold for a change! Lol ^.^Its always a relief to know your money is going to a good company with ethics and morals so few people have them these days. I'm definitely going thru Sara for my LEDs, with as much response as everyone has gotten, I'm positive I'll be in good hands!When I first started growing that's all I worried about was pH, I swear it was a nightmare! Not having money for a tester those damn color drop things only take you so far. Eventually I noticed I was having more problems messing with the pH then I did if I just left it alone. Now all I do is fill up my watering pale from the tap, bubble it with an air stone for a minimum of 30 minutes before using it. The rest is up to the plants, they seem to be doing fine so I don't mess with it. How do those carbon filters work, I figured if you used it there wouldn't be much air flow. So its more of an air scrubber then an exhaust, So I would still need a exhaust fan? Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Is there a tester you would recommend? I'm also getting a air stone so I can bubble my water as well.

As to the filter, I will let you know as soon as I have it running. It gets very high reviews. The fan is very costly but uses much less power and has an adjustable programmable feature with it as well. 

That's right, I'm using it as a scrubber just to i eliminate odor. With CO2 running in the room, I don't need an exhaust fan. My room is sealed as I can possibly make it meaning, it's pretty darn well sealed.  :)