pHarmers Cannaculture Corner

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by SoCal Nature Farmer, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Hey man, I typed out a reply to this like twice but on the proof read it didn't even make sense to me! xD So rather then trying to describe what it is I do I'll just show you. Everything got the chop yesterday so I will be posting a few updates here later. Things have just been extremely hectic lately, last night my house flooded cause of the storm. So that's been fun trying to fix and keep everything in the room from getting completely screwed up.

Woot woot!! Congrats!!

Don't worry about the burning she is still a bit young, my GSC does the same thing when she's small. I use a mix of 80% Peat Moss & 20% Vermicompost for my seedlings/clones in Dixie cups. I'll go from the cloner to the Dixie cups until the root system is developed enough to handle the soil. The top growth on your plant looks fine tho, yellowing tips is OK. She's already bounced back quite nicely from the bleaching she was showing (which is getting slowly better on the undergrowth).

So all in all she looks great man, gonna be quite the nice Sativa! I'm glad your digging the light so far, told you she was silent. With all my exhaust fans off in my room you can't even hear the lights running!!

Sorry for the delay man, UPDATES COMING SOON!!!

2. How long did you veg your babies for??

3. Day 1 of harvest, Drying:

Well the GSC has been chopped down, cut them down on the 11th. Would have liked to let them go another 2 weeks but here are some pics before the cut.

These were taken on their last day of light (12-10):

GSC Trichs 1.jpg

GSC Trichs 2.jpg

GSC Trichs 3.jpg

These were taken the following day before harvest (12-11), since then they have been in total darkness. The only light they are subjected to are from the flash when I take pictures and the green light I use when working around them: 

GSC harvest 12-11 #1.jpg

GSC Harvest 12-11 #2.jpg

GSC Harvest 12-11 #3.jpg

GSC Harvest 12-11 #4.jpg

GSC Harvest 12-11 #5.jpg

GSC Harvest 12-11 #6.jpg

GSC Harvest 12-11 #7.jpg

Now in comparison to the other buds here is the main bud off the GSC that was in the Roots Organics w/ Buildasoil top dress kit:

GSC Harvest 12-11 #8 Roots method.jpg

I wait until 30 minutes before they would normally wake up, then I chop them and hang them, as is, upside down: 

GSC Harvest 12-11 drying #1.jpg

GSC Harvest 12-11 drying #2.jpg

Another thing to note is that I play with the ventilation constantly based on what is needed. This time around, with the rains and everything, ventilation is set up to exhaust the room two times an hour. On for 15 minutes then off for 15, then repeat, here is humidity 1hr after chop:

Humidity day 1 of harvest 12-11.jpg

4. Hey pHarm, good to see you harvesting some buds man. Sorry to read about the flood, we got lucky up here.

Getting closer to that time

5. Day 2 of Drying:

Well we had a HEAVY rain last night that has continued on thru the day, doesn't look like it is letting up any time soon. Now that the larger fan leaves have 'wicked' their remaining moisture into the buds they will start to droop/crunch up & the humidity will rise:

GSC drying 12-12 #1.jpg

GSC drying 12-12 #2.jpg

Humidity day 2 before trim 12-12.jpg

At this point I will trim off any leaves in which I can see their stems, meticulous task to accomplish with fresh sticky buds and a green light. But I don't want any chances of molds or mildews building up and ruining the whole crop:

GSC drying 12-12 after trim #1.jpg

Also, if I notice that there are spaces where the buds are touching or too close to each other. I will remove the stock that is usually in the middle of everything and hang it separate. I want every bit of air flow to be able to get around, into, & out of these buds freely:

GSC drying 12-12 after trim #2.jpg

GSC drying 12-12 after trim #3.jpg

GSC drying 12-12 after trim #4.jpg

Now with the storm as bad as it is coupled with the buds evaporation I had to kick up the ventilation to exhaust the room constantly but put the intake and exhaust fans on a lower speed:

Humidity day 2 after trim 12-12.jpg

Hope all is well out there & this storm hasn't effected too many people. It was hailing quarter size pieces here a bit ago, stay safe everybody!

Thanks man!

Yeah the rains got pretty crazy around here, got up at 2am and noticed the roof was dripping pretty bad & had about 1" of water coming into my grow room thru the borders. Staggeringly sprung into action and grabbed the left over c.f. of bone dry Peat Moss I had and ran outside and started packing it into the side of the house where the build up was happening. I was half asleep thru the whole thing and was thinking huh I guess this should work. xD But it actually did, held up, absorbed the water & stopped the leaking. I cant wait to get out of this house tho, its falling apart!

But there ya go, if your ever in a bind, peat moss sandbags! xD  

Well I would have liked to have much more established plants before switching to flower to increase yield but I needed to plan for moving out so I did a veg of 31 days. But 4 days prior to the flip I bent them over for more tops on day 27 & they were only 9" tall. So next crop I am expecting much better results and will be flowering out the GSC moms I currently have in the Veg tent. They will get transferred over to 7gal pots the day I arrive at the new place. For now I am leaving them in the 1gal pots to make it easier to transport thru the move.    

8. Oh man those girls look soooo good. I can't wait to see how much you pulled and how good the smoke is man. Definitely got an advanced grower here. I also want to thank you so much for putting me onto SolarSPEC. Silver exploded last night. I opened up the tent and couldn't believe my eyes. I put the new light in at like 3 o clock yesterday and checked on her at 11 am today. The growth was epic. I'll just leave these here, show you how grateful I am mate :) thanks so much mate. Compare these pics to yesterday's and it's amazing. So happy haha can't thank you enough man. This is why I'm on GC and growing the people are awesome.

Attached Files:

Thanks man, I am anxious to see myself. As for now this was a simple fast run, the real fun is about to begin! I am going to be ordering some more lights here soon since I'm going to be using a much bigger space. As well as pop a bunch of new seeds, get some variety established! New growing techniques as far as scrogs and possible SOG, outdoor growing of veggies and misc other plants, desert soil re building/establishment, all sorts of new fun times. I am literally the most excited I have ever been in my life to get this move underway so I can get started! xD 

Damn! Yeah she completely changed!! xD I am super stoked everything is coming together as planned for you man! I am even more grateful to have you following along with me sharing your results as well!! I'm glad your happy man, wait till you start flower. Everyday is going to be a whole new step, cant wait to see her thru.

Did you noticed any differences in the temperatures with the switch from the P300 from Advanced LED to the SS-150?

10. I'll have to double check on the temps cause it was pretty chily today but when I did check temps it was sitting at 75 with the SolarSPEC and when I had the P300 it sat at a constant 80 so that's a 5 degree difference and its much quieter. The P300 had a high pitch whine which was much more difficult to conceal but the SolarSPEC has a much more lower drone and it's much easier to conceal so I'm loving it and with that growth explosion is so noticeable it's hard to believe it's anything but that light. I can't wait to check on it when I get home. I'll have some free time tomorrow to plan my LST. I'm working on curling her around the pot and getting as many tops as possible. It's a lot of fun.

Can't wait to see your garden man. You gonna add more SolarSPECs to your grow space? How big will it be? What new strains are you planning on growing?

11. Just caught back up Ph, super sick man. I've been super busy and then super lazy so I need to catch back up on all the shit I follow. Are you going to try the Eclipse? I want to for sure. I love my specs man they are the shit, but they have a tall order to beat my 11 zips from the SolarStorm. I am still super jelly of your to be grow space man.

That ONA gel is super stout. I only use it on harvest/trim days. Shit gives me a headache every time but it works.

Yeah they were pretty conclusive photos, you didn't change anything other than the light source & the response was tremendous!! Love to see how you train your girls, this step is always fascinating to me! Especially since switching to true living organics, the growth just explodes! Can you happen to get your hands on any coconut water? I use young coconuts from the grocery store, the cytokinin's found in the water helps tremendously w/ branching @ both the root tips and growth tips. Figured you could get away with hacking up a coconut for a glass of refreshing coconut water to drink. Then slip up to the room add 1/4cup per gallon of water and drench, do this once a week and you'll be golden! Drink whatever is left over, I usually get around 2cups of water per young thai coconut.

Yeah I cant wait either! Its going to be a 17x10 room but I have to build it once I move down there, adding it into a corner of the garage. Once its established I will see what ideas everyone can come up with as to how I should set it up. But for now the general idea is to ditch the tents and build rooms for the extra height advantage.

I am indeed going to be purchasing some more lights from Amare Tech! I may pick up some more SolarSPEC-260's to make the SolarSPEC-1040 but I have been looking at their new Eclipse line since their website dropped. Its designed for high bay, high intensity applications & I plan on growing some big plants so could use the extra intensity. We shall have to see how everything goes once I move tho, time will tell!

As for strains, about 2 years ago I did a run of Blackberry seeds and happened to come across 2 males and 8 females. 1 of the females was so beautiful and before even flowering the leaves were already straight black!! The others were all more lush lime green but still beautiful. Well out of the two males I got one was also showing those black leaves in veg, I didn't find out they were males until the flip and once I did I moved them outside. After they had started releasing pollen I pollenated the black female and my favorite of the lime green girls. At the time I didn't know much about cultivars and different genetic pheno's but what happened was I had a strong Black Domina pheno of the Blackberry and the others were strong Strawberry cough phenos. SO I still have seeds from that run that I have been saving to play with and find whatever happened. Will be popping those, some Afghan Kush, and then I have a mixed container of random bag seeds I have gotten from buds at shops. So that should be fun haha mystery strains. Who knows what else ill pick up along the way but I am growing for medicinal purposes and have a few patients so we will be trying to find different cultivars based on what works best for out different ailments.       

13. I will do some scouting around I know I've seen bottled coconut water, but getting it straight from the coconut itself sounds like a way better deal. Especially cause the bottled coconu might not be as pure.

I'm so pumped to see what you can do. I will definitely be here for the ride. Any plans on changing your grow style to maybe experimenting in hydro? Or sticking with organics all around which is a great choice either way haha.

I've been on the look out for a dark deep purple bud. I've never smoked any before and I know a few people who would love the chance to be able to smoke it. How is the smoke report from the Blackberry bud?? My second grow im planning to run two autos of some sort in 2 gallon smart pots with more BAS soil. Love that stuff, even with the nute burn organics is incredible. Probably order a new batch of soil and mix in with the old.

When will you be moving in to your new place mate? So psyched for you. You are gonna grow some trees mate. I had a bad experience with afghan kush. Indicas hit me haaard and it gave me a pretty wicked panic attack. I had to stay awake for 3 hours cause every time I closed my eyes I felt like I was spinning. Hit me SOO hard lol. All on me though definitely wasn't the bud. Wasn't in the right mind set. I probably won't start a journal for silver but for the 2nd grow I will. Can't thank you enough for all the help and allowing me to post pics in your thread.

14. Drying update day 4:

Buds are starting to get more firm, smaller leaves now have a crunch to them. Lowered the ventilation back down to 15min on 15min off & turned the intake fan into the room the tent is in completely off (12-13). Its not a completely sealed room so there is still plenty of fresh air flow coming in but it's starting to get way to cold and humid outside to bring the air into the room. Starting to bend smaller branches, looking for "snapping" sound, once this is achieved I can do the final manicure and then into the jars they go to start the cure.

GSC drying 12-14 #1.jpg

GSC drying 12-14 #2.jpg

Humidity day 4.jpg

The reasoning behind why I don't allow any light around the buds after chop is that the compounds on the plant that we are utilizing are comprised of the same secondary metabolites as the terpenes, terpenoids and ketones found in essential oils of other plants. They are very simple Carbon-Hydrogen-Oxygen chains meaning that they can degrade under light.

Take a look at this link, it covers it in pretty good detail the various effects on the terpenes, terpenoids, ketones and other related secondary metabolites that are harvested.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1541-4337.12006/full

"Light
    Ultraviolet (UV) light and visible (Vis) light are considered to accelerate autoxidation processes by triggering the hydrogen abstraction that results in the formation of alkyl radicals (Choe and Min 2006). Correspondingly, laurel as well as fennel oil stored in the dark (Misharina and Polshkov 2005) basically underwent the same alterations as upon storage under light, namely a decline in eugenyl acetate, estragol, trans-anethole, and several monoterpenes as well as an augmentation of p-cymene, eugenol, and anisaldehyde. The same was true for lemon oil in which decreasing amounts of geranial, terpinolene, and γ-terpinene together with a rise in p-cymene have been observed (Fincke and Maurer 1974). However, compositional changes proceeded considerably faster when illumination was involved. Especially monoterpenes have been shown to degrade rapidly under the influence of light (Misharina and others 2003). The same study also reported on transformation reactions taken place in marjoram oil during storage under light that led to the formation of several unidentified minor components. Very recently, Turek and Stintzing (2011b; 2012) showed that changes in several essential oils were promoted under the impact of light, however, oils from varying plant species responded differently: While essential oil from thyme did not alter much, rosemary oil turned out to be very susceptible to imitated daylight that readily led to a changing chemical composition. This was mainly revealed by a considerable increase in p-cymene, camphor, and caryophyllene oxide concomitant to the degradation of β-caryophyllene and the monoterpenes β-myrcene, α-terpinene, as well as α-phellandrene. Also, one minor compound in lavender oil yet not further identified totally broke down when illuminated, while another unidentified substance was initially built up during the 1st month stored under light but degraded again upon advanced storage (Turek and Stintzing 2012). Such photo-artifacts induced by sunlight or by UV irradiation with a distinct spectral distribution were identified in stored essential oils from anise (photoanethole) and lemon (photocitral) (Miething and others 1990; Nguyen and others 2009). For the former, the light-induced photoanethole, identified as 4,4'-dimethoxystilbene (Figure 5C), was suggested to result from photocycloaddition between anethole and anisaldehyde (Miething and others 1990). Moreover, in sweet fennel oil, trans-anethole had completely oxidized to anisaldehyde or isomerized to cis-anethole (Figure 6) after 2 mo of storage at room temperature under light (Misharina and Polshkov 2005). trans-anethole, the main component in sweet and bitter fennel oil, was reported to be converted into cis-anethole when treated with UV rays or high temperatures, the cis-isomer being 10 to 12 times more toxic than the trans-form (Braun and Franz 1999). In accordance with these data, a range of photochemically catalyzed intramolecular isomerization reactions such as cycloaddition or trans-cis conversions of various monoterpenoids had been earlier described by Pfau (1972)."

15. So in the drying process you eliminate all fan leaves and just leave the sugar leaves (of course)? I am gonna do a lot of research in the drying process because that is I feel even more important than the grow itself. You got it to this point and if you dry the plant too much the curing process won't occur and if it's too wet it'll be moldy if you put it into the jars. I'm gonna have to find a way to increase my humidity all stealthy like. My humidity is at like a constant 35% or so but I know its preferable to have it between 55% to 65%. It's an art in itself. Love the detail you go into and your reasoning as to why, total noob friendly haha.

Yeah I have always used the Thai coconuts but as I am moving soon I was worried they may not be available. So for the time being until I can track them down I looked up bottled brands I could use and the 'Coco Libre' was the best brand I could find as a supplement. Seem to be able to get it at most grocery stores, Walmart, Target, etc. So I may have to try that for a bit, we shall see, but yes fresh unaltered enzymes are always best!  

I myself am excited to finally see what I can do with some space to work in! I will not be changing my style of growing, I have found my passion in living soil organics. The earth has used this method for eons and I am sure it knows its most efficient way to get things done. Besides with the HiLEDs and good organic earth to grow in, its like growing outside plants inside!!! The furthest into hydro I will ever venture is my aero cloning method. xD I have seen dozens of hydro growers switch over to living soil organics and been more then satisfied with the improvements. Going the opposite way just seems a bit counter productive.

For the longest time I would NOT smoke anything that was purple or dark, first time I came across "purps", it wasn't purp at all it was mold!! When I did find purple bud I have always gotten headaches off of it for whatever reason. This last run I had of GSC that was outback and my first run of that blackberry has been the only dark purple/black flowers I have liked. The blackberry was very smooth, great flavor that is hard to explain as it seems to change as it sits. The high was remarkable, if cut sooner the head high was amazing, you would be roaming around the house trying to find things to do. If let to amber longer, the body high you get is melting! On top of a head high that can leave you grabbing your head and adjusting your eyes on the exhale, almost like a really good concentrate, after that tho your pretty much stuck. Great for gaming or documentary watching, as you get extremely zoned and focused on one specific thing! The GSC on the other hand is one that takes some getting to know. If you smoke even a tiny amount while exhausted or muscle fatigued you WILL fall asleep! However its great for a wake and bake as it gets the body nice and smoothed out with just the right head high to go do work and get the day started, perfect for the chilly mornings as it almost makes you feel warmer after the high sits. Which is another thing I find fascinating about the GSC, pack a bowl and take a decent size hit, then go back to say trimming or typing. You'll notice the high keeps increasing and slowly sweeps its way around your head and then feels as tho it just rests on your eyes. Every time you blink, & your vision does that blurred focus thing, it increases slowly again and you feel the high switch and tingly move around your head to a new area. xD LOL I sound so weird right now, need to get a job writing bud reviews or something xDD  

I have NEVER run autos before, don't know much about them either. What I do know is there was this auto strain that came out called Black Cream & another called Red Poison. They looked absolutely WICKED!!! Like if spiderman and venom made a cannabis baby! xDD I will try and find a picture and post it, plant had me in awe for quite a while, just wish it wasnt an auto! xD

Why not try to go No-Till, once I get more pots thats what I will be switching to. All you have to do is throw on an inch or so of that top dress kit after every 2 grows and then boom your golden! For me I would take plain vermicompost and then amend it with the goodies I use to keep everything in balance & add it to the soil. But since you cant do that the top dress kit is that already pre-made and you wont have to go thru the hassle of dumping pots or mixing anything together. I will be going from Dixie cups straight to 7gal pots after the move. They will be vegged and flowered in the 7gals until I can build up enough soil to switch to 20-30gal pots. Once they get chopped, the roots will decompose providing a source of humus to the micro-herd. All you have to do is replant in a different area and usually by the time your thru flowering the left over stub of the stock from the last plant will be eaten and broken down, again feeding what feeds your plants. :) This way you can keep it simple and not disturb the fungal chains/microbial life that get established within your soil by mixing it up (which is why tilling is bad) & thus will allow your soil life to get better & better as time and grows continue. So another batch of soil for the second plant you plan on running would be fine and then just top dress the current one you have and your set! 

As long as everything continues going as planned I will be moving to the new place this coming Friday! The only AK I have grown out so far had some issues and I wasn't able to really get a good example of it. So I am excited to try again, hopefully I don't undergo the same effects! xD I have had 2 weeds do that to me as well, tried a super silver haze one time from a shop. Now I have had it before and found the high quite pleasant but when smoking this one my heart started racing out of my chest, I felt extremely angry and like I was going to just explode. I could hear my blood pushing thru my veins & started getting a really bad anxiety attack. But then I just took a hit of something else and right away I was fine and it went away. Definitely a scary experience tho, second time it happened was from something getting passed around at a party so no clue what it was. I know it was only bud tho, haha I don't hang around those kinds of parties xD

Dude no worries! As I said my girls get lonely in here, could use all the love we can get!! Really looking forward to seeing Silver finish out, how's she doing btw. Any other improvements or things to note, how did the LST go?

Yes I wait until the water content in the leaves makes its way into the flowers, this gives me a little bit of a longer drying time. My idea of it is to extract the water at a steady but quick rate but not to slow and not to fast as both have side effects. I am still looking heavily into this aspect to find more information. But I agree that drying and curing are the most important stages of the plants life & if we go thru all that time to get there it should be done as efficiently as possible. The problem is that for a long time cannabis has been looked at as an illegal substance so unless your trying to show that, getting funding for the research is extremely difficult. Lately this is changing and more and more informative articles are being published in medical journals and books. But there is still little information regarding peoples studies on the mass transfer (more commonly used term for drying amongst the scientific literature) utilizing natural dry air methods & their effects on the cannabinoids and secondary metabolites. If I find anything interesting ill post it!

If you want some solid info on the humidity/temp levels go back in the thread and flip thru the links I posted on Vapor Pressure Deficit. So much info, I cant wait to start dialing in temp and humidity levels with the sealed room, my winter grows always seem to lack in comparison to my summer grows. The growth is just super slow having the pots on the cold ground. 

Thanks man I am glad I can help out! If I was to post some information telling you that the sky was actually purple but gave no knowledge or info as to how, people would sort of just be like uhmmmm okayyyy *chmm crack pot!*. But if I post links and information about how its our eyes sensitivity to blue light which is why we pick up on that color first instead of the purple. Then they'll be like ohhhh and actually might look into it. Id rather give people the tools to learn and take from it what they will rather then just having to believe in whatever it is I or other people am saying or doing. lol Give a man a fish and he can eat for the evening, teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime. Same principle!   

Here are some pics of the Black Cream and Red Poison I was talking about:

BC-RP auto.jpg

RP auto #1.jpg

RP auto #2.png

Crazy right!?!

17. Goddamn stupid laptop, gotta rewrite...

Okay! Yesss, the Black Cream was one of the strains I was looking at, along with the Sweet Dark Devil, just absolutely gorgeous plants. It's something about the dark purple, which is so unique when compared to what most of us know as green bud. The reason I was planning on running autos was because I'm worried about the heat in the closet when summer comes rearing its ugly head. So the break down is that I'm gonna send Silver into flower on the 22nd (she is going to be a monster, pictures shortly) and the flowering time is about 65 to 80 days. That'll put me somwhere in March. Then the autos have flowering times of 60 to 65 days from seed, which should put me into early June, give or take a week or two, so we shall see how it all pans out.

As for the No - Till, that is an awesome idea, but Silver right now is in a 4 gallon pot, and I was planning to run the two autos in 2, 2 gallon pots with fresh BAS soil, due to space restrictions within my 2 X 2 X 5 foot tent. So do you think I should just place the 4 gallon pot into a rubber maid tote and keep the soil moist for when I get back to growing Photo plants? At which point the root structure will be fully degraded and the nutrients will be back in the soil. I like that idea, what do you think? 

I have had some really great GSC, and you are right, it is a very interesting strain and high. It's a very calming high that doesn't get you sleepy in the middle of the day. Definitely one of my favorites. My first strain ever that I smoked was Dreamqueen, and I definitely am planning at some point to grow it out and enjoy it again. I've actually only been a stoner for 2 years, and I'm just straight up obsessed with understanding and enjoying marijuana. Mind you I still am going to college for mechanical engineering and getting good grades, I find that weed decreases my stress and allows me to focus better. I only smoke at night time on weeknights and it keeps me mellow throughout the day.

Silver as of yesterday. I pulled her main top down and working on the circle. The bud sites that will be on the inside of the circle I pulled downwards trying to get them parallel with her stem so that there will be room in the middle. Her nute burn has gotten better, the newer growth has only light green tips instead of burns.

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

So all in all she is growing amazingly well. I dropped the light to 20 inches, she showed signs of bleaching, so now it is at 25 inches and she is doing fantastic. Loving that light man. She is 29 days old now, and I plan to let her veg until the 22nd, where I am then gonna put her into 24 hours of darkness, and flip to 12/12. My biggest concern then will be how cool the temps get when the light is off. Up to now she has been with lights on 24/0 and has shown no ill affects. I plan to run the autos in the same way probably. Looking at Silver #1, she was HALF the size of Silver Phoenix now within the same time frame. This grow has already been such an accomplishment to me. 

Any info you find definitely post, because I read all of it, and then go off and do some more research on my own. You are the man lol.

I can't wait to see the finished buds that your girls grew for you. I know they are gonna smoke up so well. Also looking forward to seeing how your grow advances when you move into the new place and start getting settled in and back into the groove. It's gonna be massive. As I recall, you trim the buds once they are done hanging and drying out right? 

18. #259 BrassNwood, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
    Drying and Curing IS an art form all it's own.. Took me a lot of ruined buds before I got this part worked out in a low humidity zone..

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6225668&postcount=1890 Here is my own little addition to one of the better curing threads I've run across.. The whole thread is well worth the read..