Logo peeling on 1 month old SYN tube

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by NGP, Nov 25, 2013.

1. #1 NGP, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2014
    *** UPDATED 4/15 see; See 2nd page for update w/pics ***

Hey blades,

Any of you with experience in owning SYN tubes ever had an issue with the label/logo on the tube peeling/flaking off? I bought my double ratchet perc tube exactly one month ago from an authorized SYN retailer. I've smoked maybe a 1/4oz through it total, kept it fairly clean, never wiped the outside with anything other than a gentle cloth...no cleaners.

As you can see in the photos, the logo is starting to peel away between the bottom of the "S" and "Y". I'm not seeing peeling anywhere else. This location is a natural spot for your palm to curl around, but I have been very gentle with this piece and am just surprised to see the logo going away after such little use.

Can anyone relate? Is this common?

Attached Files:

2. Dude if it's that new call up syn and see what they say. That's unacceptable considering you dropped $200-300?

It is just a logo but that's beside the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Yea it was a $300 piece spot on. I just threw them an email through their site, they don't list a number that I saw anywhere. Hell not even an address, LOL.

4. Ya that's odd not to have an address or number. Reputable tube producer though, so it should be easy to have the problem resolved.

Update this when they get back to you. I'm interest to see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. The label is probably ceramic like roors and not fully baked on. Good luck with getting it fixed.

6. #6 NGP, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013
    UPDATE:

SYN never contacted me whatsoever. I'm a little disappointed. I even requested one of their free catalogs online. Was at least expecting an email back about the label, even if was the generic canned "not defective, we won't fix it" response. I actually would consider driving out their way, they are in my home state of NC and would love to visit their shop! But they may not even be setup for visitors....I can't find an address, phone number or email address for anyone at the company. Just their website and a message submission page.

https://www.buysyn.com

7. was this purchased thru them? or another distributor?

sometimes brands will offload 2nd quality tubes at a discount and resellers move em out 

I bought it from my LHS, which is in the same state SYN is made and are an authorized retailer. The LHS is a large chain in multiple metro cities of NC. They stock a lot of SYN products in each shop, I've never seen a better selection anywhere actually, even more choices than internet shops carrying SYN. So it should have been 1st line.

9. * UPDATE *

I finally got an email from SYN about this, and this is what they have to say about the label issue:

---------------------

"So sorry to hear about your decal. Yes they do sometimes tend to scratch off. Usually only after a year or so though.

The older (and some newer) companies use lead based decals. We use sugar based. Though there are many reasons why - the main reason is that because of the way our studio is set up the firing process would be toxic to our employees. Trust me inhaling lead fumes is no fun! Our decals do come off a little easier but we feel our employees' health is more important. So thanks for being patient with us.

I'd be happy to send you a new one, with directions to apply it. You can bake it on in an oven. Just needs to get up to 400 degrees.

Let me know what color you'd like and I'll get it on its way. Again sorry for the inconvenience!"

---------------------

Pretty standup move that they will send me a new label with instructions for me to apply it. The cool news is I guess I could go for a different color too. When I bought this, they had it in the blue that I bought and then black. I'd really like to maybe change it up with a new decal.

10. i agree 100% as we bake lead decals - and it is nasty!

never heard of sugarbased - and never knew u could re-apply a decal over an existing one - we have tried and failed several times.

please post up pics of the after results.

11. IMO, that's an extremely odd response.

12. I just wrote back and requested a light blue/black label (NC blue). I'll keep this updated when I attempt to reapply the label :)

13. Do you have a kiln op?

Are you going to bake this in your house oven?

I wouldn't, but I've got a kiln....

I was going to do exactly what the manufacturer is telling me.. "You can bake it on in an oven. Just needs to get up to 400 degrees."

Are you saying that I shouldn't do this? SYN is putting me in some kind of danger of I don't use a kiln?

15. Nope.
    Was just asking a question. :confused:

16. baking 1 decal isn't going to put you into any danger - just make sure you get good instructions on how to put the decal on and how to handle the oven - i dont think u are suppose to put it in @ 400 F you are suppose to put it in @ room temp and let it rise to 400F and bake for ??howlong?? and then let it cool down back to room temp

17. The reason I asked is because according to Dan at apix design, when you bake a label on, youre annealing it again. I asked him personally when he baked my label on if it would weaken the glass and he said no.

He put the glass in at room temp I believe and then baked it to proper degrees before letting it cool down in the kiln.

There is a pic over in the apix design appreciation thread of my bong being baked in the kiln.

18. [quote name="NerdsGrowPot" post="19102046" timestamp="1386200358"]* UPDATE *I finally got an email from SYN about this, and this is what they have to say about the label issue:---------------------"So sorry to hear about your decal. Yes they do sometimes tend to scratch off. Usually only after a year or so though.The older (and some newer) companies use lead based decals. We use sugar based. Though there are many reasons why - the main reason is that because of the way our studio is set up the firing process would be toxic to our employees. Trust me inhaling lead fumes is no fun! Our decals do come off a little easier but we feel our employees' health is more important. So thanks for being patient with us.I'd be happy to send you a new one, with directions to apply it. You can bake it on in an oven. Just needs to get up to 400 degrees.Let me know what color you'd like and I'll get it on its way. Again sorry for the inconvenience!"---------------------Pretty standup move that they will send me a new label with instructions for me to apply it. The cool news is I guess I could go for a different color too. When I bought this, they had it in the blue that I bought and then black. I'd really like to maybe change it up with a new decal.[/quote]glad to hear they took care of you!

19. #19 blazincaucasian, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2013
    Ive heard stories of formula 420 taking syn labels off, and them scratching easy, but I dont think ive ever seen one peel like that. Ive got a syn double mini showerhead and I never touch the label because of this, I just pick the bong up lower on the tube. 

Nice to see some fellow NC'ers supporting syn. Nice choice on the carolina blue label, thats what I have. Go tarheels!

20. i 'member a few years ago seeing a blade bake on a syn label onto their tube and it was a similar situation. i believe this person chose a black and red label, ill see if i can find it. cant wait to see updates!