Raspberry Cough, 400w MH/HPS, DWC, first hydro grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by OneDayJD, Nov 21, 2013.

1. #41 OneDayJD, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013
    Information overload! Haha, not really, I love all the info I can get and am taking copious notes. You should write a book, it would be much more educational than most of the shit on the shelves now. I'm putting UV on a shelf in the back of my mind. It's sitting right beside adding CO2 at some point.

Still making sure I understand all the ins and outs of mycorrhiza so I will know how to fish and feed myself for life! Let's say for example I decide to use Voodoo throughout my veg. The way I understand you, if I do that, the mycorr in the Voodoo will be feeding off of the roots and the nutes breaking them down into a more usable form, ergo, I do not need Liquid Karma, Nirvana, or otherwise during veg when I am using Voodoo, correct? However, when I flip and start flowering I will switch to GW or Orca. At that point, I will need to add Karma, Nirvana, or otherwise, to feed the mycorr in the GW/Orca. The reason for this is because it's a different species and composition of mycorr than was in the Voodoo and it feeds off of other bacteria/organics, instead of feeding off the roots like the Voodoo did. Did I get it right???

Updated nutes: (assuming what I just said is all correct) Right now I am running GH Micro and Bloom. I'm going to add Sensizym and Voodoo Juice for veg cycle. When I flip to flower, I will keep running the Micro and Bloom and Sensizym, but switch to GW or Orca and add Liquid Karma or Nirvana. Then I'll add a sugar, top boost, and P/K boost at the end of flowering, but I'll get to that later.

What do y'all think?

ETA: Oh, forgot about CalMag when/if needed, and plan on getting some Silica Blast in there as well.

2. Well I think you got it bro  :hello:
    The Nirvana and Liquid Karma also aids the plants too, but IMPO, it's more for the bennies.....
    As well as the sugars, the plants can use some to make up what they can't produce normally, but again IMPO, it's more of a carb boost for the bennies....  Because again, they work for the plant(s), so the stronger the colonies, the healthier the plants and root system will be, and then the healthier the plants, the larger the flowers will become in the end.....

Keep in mind it's ALL a delicate balance between light, water, and air...
    A great example....  Say you're running low light levels, well if you run a high TDS (total dissolved solids, eg. nutrient ppm), then they will burn, but run the same TDS, but up the light and air flow, and then you can run them high tds levels with no problems....

With the increased light and air movement, the plant can process more nutrients....
    That's why I can get away running a 1200ppm in flowering with NO signs of burn, but the next grower which tries to run my levels, only get nutrient burn...  The reason is different environment.... 

So just keep in mind, it's that balance we look for, so to much of one thing is just as bad as not enough, and vise versa......
    Eg. high light levels, but low TDS, the plants can process more, and show starvation signs......

Make sense????? :confused_2:

The Cal/Mag, you can add once a week and that should be enough for 98% of the strains you'll grow, and the other 2%, you'll simply watch the plants, because they will tell you when they need more magnesium, and then that chart which I posted on the prior page will aid you in making that distinction as to if it's enough, or you need to add it in during the topoff as well.....

So like when I change nutrient, I'll add it, but during the week of water topoff, to get the tds (ppm) back, I top off the nutrient, but not the Cal/Mag, that's only added with the res change...  On the other hand, if I have a strain which is showing signs of a magnesium deficiency, then I'll add Cal/Mag with the nutrient topoff to get back my running ppm after the daily water topoff.... 

:gc_rocks:

3. Great! Glad I am making some progress. I'm going to the local hydro shop this weekend to possibly pick up some CalMag (depending on his prices vs. Amazon Prime). Even if he's a little more expensive I'll just get it from him because he always gives me free shit, good advice, and I like supporting local business.

Plant is looking better and better each day. I'll snap a pic of her tonight and post it. I bumped up the PPMs to around 600 last night. PH is holding steady at 5.8.

TO DO: Within the next week I will have Voodoo and CalMag to add to the soup. Looking forward to really vegging this bitch out and scrogging her ovaries off.

4. I'm excited to see a Raspberry Cough's flowers!!!
    So hurry up already, GROW dang it!!!

:laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:

5. Everything is cruising right along now that I got all the kinks worked out (thanks, Jake). I'm watching the PPMs and they're holding steady right now around 630-650, so hopefully I've found a good balance. PH is holding steady at 5.8. Last night the res temps were spiking pretty high. We're having some fucked up weather here right now. Last week there was frost and icy conditions. Yesterday it was in the upper 70s and today it's supposed to hit 80. WTF! I guess that's why in the south we say if you don't like the weather just wait five minutes, it'll change. Regardless, I have no doubt that is contributing to the high res temps. Thankfully it's cooling back off this weekend. I'm also considering buying some of that thin silver insulation stuff from Lowes and wrapping my bucket in it. I also need to get a small oscillating fan in the tent to move some more air. The 6" inline Hydrofarm I have on the cool tube moves a ton of air, even sucking in the sides of the tent a little. But I want more circulation in the tent. Money is tight right now with the holidays, but I will figure something out.

Here's a pic I snapped last night. As you can see, she's almost got all of her color back, so I'm pleased about that. I also noticed last night in addition to the one long tap root out the net pot, I have two more sticking out about 2 or 3 inches. I'm going to keep top feedings a few times a day until I see a lot more roots out the net pot. I figure it can't hurt. Going to the hydro store in the morning to pick up some goodies.

[​IMG]

6. Looking good brother!!! What have your res temps been runnin? (E.g. Lights off/lights on)

7. #47 jakesterjammin, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2013
    A lot of the heat in the nutrient/bucket comes from the air pump itself, because the heat generated from the pump is transferred right into the air it's moving through the air pump, and down the hose, right into the soup, which of course heats the nutrient....

Couple ways we can approach this issue....
    One way is to simply cool the air back down before it enters the dwc bucket....  We can do that by running the air hose into a bucket, coil it around the the bottom of that bucket, back out, and then into the dwc bucket..  Then fill the bucket that the hose is coiled in with water, and drop some freeze packs in that bucket..... So as the air is pumped from the pump, it first goes through the chilled bucket with the coiled air hose that you have the ice packs in, that chills the air back down, and then it's off to the dwc bucket....

Or

You can take another bucket, a small water pump ($10 ~ 40gph pump will work fine), and some 3/8" hose....
    Put the pump in the new chiller bucket, hook the hose to it, run the hose from the chiller bucket into the dwc site, coil it around the bottom a few times, then back out, and back into the chiller bucket...  Fill the chiller bucket with water and freeze packs, then just cycle the pump on and off when the dwc site's water needs chilled....  It will pump the chilled water through the hose, absorb the heat from the dwc bucket's nutes, and dump the heated water back into the chiller bucket.....

Then if you want to get fancy, you can add a control for the on off of the chiller bucket's pump with a $18 temp control....
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digital-STC-1000-Auto-Temperature-Controller-With-Sensor-For-household-US-/221331608970?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338864558a

The first way I said will get you a couple to maybe few degrees back and the second way you can get as much as 10 degrees back..
    Then of course you simply rotate in  some fresh frozen freeze packs as the chiller bucket's water warms from absorbing the heat....

But she is looking good!!
    A little lighter green than I'd like to see, but the Cal/Mag will help that a little....
    Not the magnesium, but we're wanting to get more calcium to her, which will green her back up to what we want to see......

:gc_rocks:

8. Thanks Renny. When it's not retardly hot outside for the middle of December, it's been holding in the low 70s with the lights on. I haven't checked it with the lights off yet because my lights go out at midnight and back on at 6am. I need to check them around 5am but I don't wake up that fucking early for anything unless it involves getting in a boat to go shoot ducks. However, if I get loose this weekend and am up late I will try and check it. It spiked out at 79 degrees late yesterday afternoon and I almost shat a brick.

Jake, this is great info. I hadn't even thought about the second option. I think I'm doing to do that. I just need to brainstorm about the logistics. I'm a little OCD and like to have all my shit nice and tidy, so I need to think through it. I need to figure out what kind of hose to use. And ideally I'd like to have hose coiled up in the bottom of the DWC bucket and have it connected to an inlet and an outlet on the bucket. That way I can just connect the house from the water pump in the chiller bucket and run it when I need to. Also I can keep my DWC sealed up and lightproof. Off to do some research and searching! Thanks for the great idea. Sounds like a perfect weekend project for me! I love projects.

9. Subbed man. Looking good! It'll be a big ol bush before you know it.

10. Yeah, you can have it sealed and in a way that you can disconnect the hoses......
    Because the hose in and out of the bucket is going to be above the water line, so we do not have to worry about leakage....

What I would first do is try and find the thinnest hose possible, and usually the black hose you see in the hydro stores is the thinnest..
    Then when you poke the hole in the dwc bucket for the hoses' in and then out, drill that hole a little smaller than the hose, and if you use a 3/8" drill on a 3/8" hose, the hose will fit in the hole nice and snug...  Once you have to 2 ends poking out the dwc bucket, then use a 3/8" straight barb connector to connect the chiller bucket's supply and return hose.....

That way you can disconnect the 2 hoses when you want by simply pulling them off the straight barbs....

Done deal.....  :yay:

11. You're not talking about the black hose I use for my air lines are you? I can't remember if it's 3/8" or not. Just didn't know if you were talking about that or something else specific. Cheers.

12. This black hose......
    http://www.hhydro.com/3-8-hose-Black.html

Then either barbed straights or a barbed elbows....
    http://www.hhydro.com/1-2-barbed-connector-Sunleaves.html

http://www.hhydro.com/1-2-barbed-elbow.html

But the hose, again just look for the thinnest hose you can find......
    Because some hose's walls are thicker than others, so just find the thinnest walled hose you can find.....

13. Dude, you're going to be a Master Gardener when I'm done with ya.....  lmfao  :ey:

14. Ahhhh ok I gotya. I'll see what my man has tomorrow morning at the hydro shop.

Hells yes I am! And I am forever grateful. You seriously need to write a book. It would be a best seller.

15. ALL I ask in return when I'm done with you, that you "play it forward" to new growers whenever you can......  ;)

If ya got any questions during your project, just holla, and remember a pic speaks a 1000 words...... lol  :D

16. [quote name="OneDayJD" post="19112990" timestamp="1386350015"]Thanks Renny. When it's not retardly hot outside for the middle of December, it's been holding in the low 70s with the lights on. I haven't checked it with the lights off yet because my lights go out at midnight and back on at 6am. I need to check them around 5am but I don't wake up that fucking early for anything unless it involves getting in a boat to go shoot ducks. However, if I get loose this weekend and am up late I will try and check it. It spiked out at 79 degrees late yesterday afternoon and I almost shat a brick.Jake, this is great info. I hadn't even thought about the second option. I think I'm doing to do that. I just need to brainstorm about the logistics. I'm a little OCD and like to have all my shit nice and tidy, so I need to think through it. I need to figure out what kind of hose to use. And ideally I'd like to have hose coiled up in the bottom of the DWC bucket and have it connected to an inlet and an outlet on the bucket. That way I can just connect the house from the water pump in the chiller bucket and run it when I need to. Also I can keep my DWC sealed up and lightproof. Off to do some research and searching! Thanks for the great idea. Sounds like a perfect weekend project for me! I love projects.[/quote]Haha we must be from the same region....current temp? 82 F 😵 gayyyyyyyyyyy

17. Hell yeah. Walked outside the office at lunch and almost went straight to the damn golf course. What the hell is this?!

18. She's growing like a beast now. Significant new growth every day. I picked up some CalMag this weekend and started running that. Currently I'm running GH Micro and Bloom, as well as CalMag and Sensizym. Haven't gotten the mycorrhizae yet. She's at about 680 ppm right now. Will probably do a soup change and bump the ppms to about 800 before I head out of town this weekend. She's really greened up now after I started the CalMag. Here's a top view and side view:
    [SIZE=12pt][​IMG][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]<span style="font-size:12pt;">[​IMG][/SIZE]</span>

This past weekend I built my chiller for the bucket to combat the spike in res temps. I took Jake's idea and ran with it and added a tweak here or there to keep everything nice and neat. I basically made a wort chiller for the bucket (like we use brewing beer or putting in a condenser barrel for moonshine) and setup a small submersible pump in another bucket to cycle cold water through the chiller. This way I can add ice or ice packs to the chiller bucket and have it cycle when needed. I'll have to play with it and watch the temps and use it as needed. But if need be I could set the pump on a timer to cycle periodically through the day.

I installed inlets and outlets on the bucket as seen here:
    [SIZE=12pt][​IMG][/SIZE]

Then I got the thinnest 1/2" tubing I could find. I ended up using the black tubing used in irrigation systems because it was much cheaper than what I could get at the hydro store. It's pretty rigid shit and can be a pain to work with, but I wanted something rigid to at least keep some sort of a shape in the DWC bucket. Here's what it looks like coiled up and connected in the bucket:
    [SIZE=12pt][​IMG][/SIZE]

I gave it a dry test run last night before I filled my res back up and everything went well until I twisted the outlet on the bottom and broke the seal. Then I had mad water spewing out in my tent. What a pain in the ass. So I had to drain the res, put the lid with the plant back in the temporary bucket and redo the seals. I've got the bucket sitting dry right now to let the seals set up and I'll refill it again tonight. I'm confident it will work though because before I broke the seal and had a leak, I let the cool water run through the chiller and the tubing felt nice and cold. Thanks a ton to Jake for the great idea. Can't wait to go out of town this weekend and come back to a shit load of new growth! KCGO.

19. I had to LOL at the water mess....
    You have NO IDEA how many times I've been in the "water cleanup scramble"....  lol

Once the wife and I are setting at the dining room table talking, and then a drip came from the ceiling and hit the table...  :huh:

As we look up at the ceiling (grow on second floor), there was a HUGE wet mark, then another drop fell, and just as I went to stand up, BLOOSH, the spackle gave away dumping about 25-30gal on the table....

I was like  :eek:

The wife was like  :mad:

:laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:

Needless to say, the second floor grow chamber was moved and is now the basement chamber  :smoke:

Nice job on the mod bro!!
    And I actually use a stainless steel "wort chiller" coil in my 55gal res.....
    http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/1064606-lets-convert-ac-chiller.html

That DIY 1/2hp chiller will cool my 55gal res down 10 degrees within 12-14 minutes and cost me $100 to make.....  ;)

20. Lmao damn guys!!! I can't wait for the day till it's my time to clean up major spillage....lol. Hopefully the fiancé ain't there at the time it happens!(she's a clean freak) Anyway I'm battling same issues now. Res temps were sittin at 78 after I put the hps bulb in. I've got 2 frozen water bottles in each bucket...having to rotate new ones in every 6hrs or so to hold it steady at 70:( So looks like it's mine turn to build somethin more permanent. Nice system JD. Thanks for the pics of the bucket as this will give me an idea of what I'm aimin for. Keep it Rollin my dudes!!