Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

GOLD WEED, the gold standard for Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana Stash Box' started by stevizzy, Nov 21, 2013.

1. #121 stevizzy, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2013
    I sure wish I had the opportunity to try those.  The ones I was getting were just good buds tied on a stick.  I know what you mean about not finishing a small joint.  Even the untreated sticks I was getting were really potent.  There is someone on this forum from India who's sent me pictures of the treated Thai Sticks..they look different from those I tried.  You're lucky to have had the chance to try them.  I'm seriously jealous!!!  You lucky Dog!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

2. #122 tstick, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2013
    Thanks, man. 

In retrospect, I now remember asking about "WHY?" they tied them to sticks…and the answer I got was something about the way they were dipped in the tea -which was basically the last rinse water left from the "other" processing. The skewer gave them something to hold onto when dipping…and that's the one, big reason the sticks are there. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense (to me) for them not to just bundle up a bunch of loose weed. I guarantee you that the buds tied to the "sticks" that I saw were as leafy as any kind of buds in those days. There wasn't a lot of attention to trimming. As far as the look and the smell. Yes, the ones I experienced were dark, leafy, sweet-smelling….almost chocolate-like. The smoke was super-heavy and almost-instantly euphoric. I remember the smoke being particularly blue-ish on the exhale….but…that could have been the effect! lol! ;) I've never had anything like that before or since and I'm sure I won't ever again. 

I will say that the only other tie I've felt such pure bliss and unencumbered "love" was when I slipped a disc in my back and had to go to the emergency room. They saw me and must have thought I was a junkie looking to get high…They gave me something for the pain….didn't work….eventually, they said, okay, he's not a junkie…give him some morphine. And the second that hit my blood system, it was like….nothing mattered….everything was cool…I saw beauty everywhere…in the emergency room. I mean….I was SO thankful for the existence of poppies at that moment.

But, for me, the Thai stick experience was less about the cannabis aspect. I think that, shortly thereafter, people started to mimic the style of tying buds onto sticks -kind of as a street marketing device. I never had any straight Thai stick, so I can't really comment on the flavor of it, by itself….but what I remember was heavy, chocolate-like, blue smoke! lol!

Merry Christmas!

3. Yep...they've got great drugs in the ER.  I can see why people get hooked on opiates....I've had morphine several times in the hospital and I know exactly what you experienced...pure bliss and that warm all over feeling that makes you feel at peace with the whole world.   It's scary good....but I'm basically just an old pot head at heart...and it won't ever hurt you the way narcotics will.  

Merry Christmas!

4. The thaisticks from the 70's that I've had were not dipped in anything; they were weed only.  I'm not sure what kind of tea would stck and stay to the buds.  Some were good and some were outrageously strong-one bong hit and you were wasted for about 3 hours.  But the gold bud wins the contest in the end.  It might not register scientifically as high as the thaistick, but it was "the complete high".  Today, sadly there is no weed that compares with either.

5. #125 tstick, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
    Oh…I can tell you what kind of tea sticks to buds…..really any kind would, but, in the case of Thai sticks, it was "tea" that was left over "wash" water from processing the poppy pods. And that wash water had residual "components" in it. When the sticks were tied, they were dipped and hung to dry. 

Now, this knowledge comes from someone who was in Thailand for over a year, working in the Peace Corps, in villages all over the place. I have no reason to doubt the story…… And I can tell you, first-hand, the effect of a real Thai stick is pretty much completely unrelated to the weed constituent.

Undoubtedly, there was some (comparatively) strong weed coming back on those cargo planes, too….but Thai stick is a whole other deal….trust me! :)

6. .man the 70s,being of that age, I remember many guys coming home with all kinds of weed, Thai weed, Thai stick, but the PanAm's were the shit, (10 cigarettes the size of the old pall mall cigarettes in a pack]

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. There were several types of Thai Stick weed, that I remember.  The green ones came 15 sticks to an ounce and were OK, but not great. The multi-colored ones were best, and were about seven sticks per ounce, which was about the most expensive weed availbale in the 1970's through early 1980's.  

Colombian Gold was sweet, not very expensive, and a perfect everyday sativa.   Colombian Red was not as pretty, or tasty, as the gold, but it was stronger.  Highest quality Thai Stick was better than either of them, but at a price of three to four times as much.   

9. I'm with you on the gold bud Colombian Stevizzy l ast I saw was 71 bought 1/2lb for $250 which was a lot back then but oh the taste these kids now days jus have no idea and the panama red yumm

10. #130 BloodBooger, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
    I found that the reds we smoked back in the 70s were stronger than the golds..but that could have been just based on too small a sample...we rarely saw the red which we called Panama and it was a special treat when that arrived,, we had a lot of gold back then...some was Columbian and some was Acapulco which was really smooth and sweet and the smell of a joint lit could fill a concert hall...really well cured weed...I believe those strains are all closely related..the Columbian Gold, the Acapulco Gold and even the Panama Red..just major differences in altitude, humidity and curing making the difference.

11. Id love to get my hands on some old school weeds and landraces some day.

12. Glad to see this thread resurface, I remember reading through it last year. Was hoping the OP might have found 'Gold Weed' by now and reported back with an update, but it sounds like it's still a goal, so I just wanted to say to the OP please update us if/when you learn more about trying to locate this strain for yourself. I'm not old enough to be able to relate to a lot of the memories of smoking in the 60's and 70's like my parents did, so I enjoy hearing about it on here from the OG's....it reminds me of listening to my parents talk about the good ole days! :bongin:  Peace

13. #133 dan k, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
    not sure if this has been said yet,
    but the reason the strains appeared gold is most likley directly related to its proximity to the equator.
    the trichomes act as a sunscreen and protect the leaves from diffrent uv rays.
    if youre growing inside under a single spectrum, the plant only has to defend against one kind of light, so the trichomes dont need to be as big or as amber.
    the equator area obviously gets a lot more sun so it needs more amber colored trichomes, it probably bleaches the leaves a little too.

14. You sir are an arrogant turd and always have to turn a good conversation to bs with your negativity

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. african weed for the same high. better stuff probably a better smoke

16. #136 loopster, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014
    You dug two months deep and only read to page two to tell me that I am arrogant? I must have REALLY hurt your feelings...

[​IMG]

According to those that were there, you had the option, dipped or not. It was the same weed on the same sticks. Thia stick was not dependant upon the dip. :smoke:

18. #138 tstick, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
    Well, according to those people who were there, that I knew, the term referred to weed that had been dipped in opium tea and then dried/cured. But there were lots of people who were there and I'm sure there are different stories. I'm only going by the one I know.

19. I have had a golden weed! Definitely one of the better strains I've smoked. Really relaxing and was told it was 100% indica.
    [attachment=1711242:ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1425463352.706535.jpg

Attached Files: