Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

GOLD WEED, the gold standard for Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana Stash Box' started by stevizzy, Nov 21, 2013.

1. At first I was like Wtf does OP mean by gold weed, is that like gold guns in call of duty? But I've had some weed that was gold recently. I just thought it was dank, didn't think much of it.

-Join the club

2. Some gold strains today have genetics from older strains like "Colombian Gold" is that one if the gold strains you mean?

3. Definately, I remember smoking SantaMarta Red and Gold in the 70's.  Some of the Gold looked almost bleached, it was a bright yellow gold.  The best was a darker gold and the red was excellent too.  It had seeds but most weed did in those days.  It was quite excellent bud and I wish it were still around today....maybe without seeds too!!!

4. By the time the seeds were ripe, the foliage had long since lost its chlorophyll. And, without all that green chlorophyll, the flavor was definitely different -almost like a caramel flavor. It was smooth on the inhale, but then expanded inside your lungs and caused you to cough until you cried!….That's why we called that weed "expando"…We'd warn people, "Watch out, man, it's expando!" :)

5. I remember it well

6. thats exactly how it was for me hahaha
    i thought i was taking small hits, if getting anything at all, until it creeped up on me after we got done smoking

then i was high as fuck. like really fucking high.

its up there with some of the best weed ive ever smoked.

7. I have a theory: I think the gold effect might be a combination of a couple things

1. Light-Bleaching. If you have been to south America in the summer you know just how much hotter a few hundred/thousand miles difference in the direction of the equator makes, but its not the heat so much as the ABUNDANCE of light that you can't get in the states. Also, I bet the farmers in Columbia are growing in the hills, maybe even at high altitudes (where many landrace strains thrive. The cold in the evening hours due to altitude vs. the heat and intensity of the sun during the day??

2. Landrace genes. Adaptive traits from the shallow/steady gene pool. Something about the conditions that causes a metabolism shift at the end of flower (or maybe the cutting the bark method mentioned earlier?).

3. Harvest/cure method. I had some great white shark that was grown outdoors and harvested late. This was in the northeast u.s. where temps get near freezing at night in October. The leaves were green/purp from the cold, but because it was harvested late all the trichs were gold and from a distance the stuff WAS gold. It actually looked shitty from a distance but was some of the best smoke ever. If these plants were grown in hotter dryer conditions... I can see them almost achieving that high times pic... but without the genetics mentioned before maybe not.

I 100 % believe that the weed you reference from the 70s as "gold" was not crap. Especially if you had options and still rave about it. I would love to see a blade get their hands on the genetics :D:D:D

Sent from my work.

8. #48 tstick, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2013
    The processing of "imported" (heh heh heh) marijuana in those days was quite different. There were no high-tech, connoisseur operations for weed. It was grown outdoors and harvested when the seeds were ripe -same way that corn or tomatoes or any other crop was harvested. No one looked at the trichomes for milky-amber….lol! 

The entire plant was hacked and then stacked. The stack got turned a few time-out in the warm open air and sun. And then the stacks were portioned and packed in super-tight bundles of plastic bags and tape and "shipped out" ;)

By the time we got stuff in the upper midwestern states, you could expect almost anything -dirt, bugs, rocks, stalks, roots, powdered shake…etc. after you got some of the garbage taken out, what was left was a very grassy-hay-smelling bag of dry, leafy, flattened "buds" and shake. That shit usually sold for 5-15 bucks a "lid"!

But, occasionally, something from farther South would make its way up and when it did, it was considerably more expensive. Moving weed in those days was risky and the risks incurred a cost!

Many times, Colombian would come in…brown and smelling like coffee and…well….poop! And it looked like poop. *cue the Cheech and Chong skit*..The brown Colombian was most common among the Colombian strains that showed up. 

Sometimes, a batch of Colombian would come in and it would be gold. And that stuff tasted like caramel and…something…skunky, tangy, citronella…some kind of spice…unknown….indescribable. THAT was THE stuff!

Also sometimes, a strain of "red" would show up. It was somewhere in between the brown and the gold. We called it "Panama Red" but no one could be sure exactly where those batches came from, because we were so far removed from the source.

The one, unifying factor that I noticed was the fact that all those good strains were grown to term -meaning that the natural life cycle of the plant was completed. They were not harvested for peak THC. That would have been waaay too complicated for the people involved.

Maybe it would be cool if some commercial growers would set aside a few plants and a few males and let the plants do their thing again….? I really want to do this, myself, but I'm a bit nervous about the upcoming law-changes regarding growing…and so is my wife…which means that it ain't gon happun anytime real soon. :( ….But I'd love to try it!

9. I remember Colombian Gold like it was yesterday. I think the terms nickel bag and dime bag came from the ounce that cost $40 as mentioned above. A dime bag was a 1/4 and should equal one fingers' width and cost $10 bucks. A nickel bag was an 1/8 and cost $5 bucks. Colombian reefer was the staple for us in high school back in the late 70's (I graduated in 1980). My friends always told me I should have started getting high a couple of months sooner, because there was some Panama Red around that was killer that I missed out on. It never again became available after that time, so I still wonder to this day what it was like. Golden Goat is the closest strain I've found currently that resembles the color of Colombian Gold, but the high is different. The Colombian high was heavy IMO and I definitely recall being baked for the first hour or two everyday during high school. Sorry I'm so late to the thread.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. I grow pretty multicolored buds :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Here's an interesting link on the Seedfinder database about Santa Marta Columbian Gold. I miss those days of cheap, abundant pot that got a person high every time!

12. #52 stevizzy, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013
    I'd like to see it again too.  Good luck if you try someday.  I remember the brown Colombo too, but I'd rather forget it.  It always had a dirty musty smell and taste, although if you could ignore the smell and smoke it, I used to get fairly high but the taste usually gave me a headache.

I was living in Florida at the time so the red and gold strains were fairly common and the price was typically in the $200+ range/lb.  It would come in small bales about 24" square or so and had the shake, sticks and other debris pressed with the buds.  I'd always pick a few bags of nice buds from a bale and sell the remainder although I'd remove the big sticks and eat the weight loss.  Bag appeal really made that Gold sell...everybody wanted it.  Jamaican was plentiful although most was garbage.  The good stuff was better than the Colombian but really hard to get...the growers kept most for themselves and it rarely got exported commercially.  I knew a Rasta grower and whenever I was in Jamaica he'd give me some LambsBread, Thyme or Cotton.  They were usually bright green, well cured, sweet and potent.  They never had enough to sell but I was happy to get whatever I could.  The Cotton strain looked like a big fat green cotton ball and had a very sweet smell.  Thyme was scraggly looking, just like the culinary herb, hence the name, had no seeds and very potent...the strongest weed I'd ever smoked at the time.  

The weed in those days looked nothing like the perfectly grown and manicured buds of today but the best of the lot was still really good.  Overall, the Gold was my favorite.  It had a flavor that was so smooth, I'd could smoke it all day just for the taste and relaxation even if it had no THC....just like smokers do with tobacco but a far better taste and aroma.  I still hate tobacco...it stinks.  

There were many people smuggling weed in those days.  Not the drug cartel types, most were fairly young, 20 something, College kids with access to a sailboat or small airplane.  It was easy money and many college kids did a run or two during the summer break to pay for school. I know many who got a College Education with weed money.  Later, as coke became popular and the Colombian weed was replaced with cocaine the fun was over.  The whole character of the industry changed as ripoff's, guns and violence became common.  Sorry to see it end.  It was really fun in the days before the drug cartels ruined the pot industry.  

13. #53 tstick, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013
    "There were many people smuggling weed in those days.  Not the drug cartel types, most were fairly young, 20 somethingsCollege kids with access to a sailboat or small airplane.  It was easy money and many college kids did a run or two during the summer break to pay for school. I know many who got a College Education with weed money.  Later, as coke became popular and the Colombian weed was replaced with cocaine the fun was over.  The whole character of the industry changed as ripoff's, guns and violence became common.  Sorry to see it end.  It was really fun in those days before the drug cartels ruined the pot industry." 

Damn….bull's-eye!!

14. I'm growing some acapulco gold from barneys far and it smells like citrissy poop lol. I'v always wanted to grow the classic gold pure sativas like columbian gold, moui and panama red. They just need alot of space and probably need to be outdoors. I'm probablly gonna put an order in for some punta rosa by cannabiogen, some Hawaii Maui Waui by sativa seed bank and some Malawi Gold by seeds of africa. These were the purest sativas I could find that are some what close to their original landrace genetics.

15. Maybe god left some of his personal stash here on earth for those truely dedicated to find it!

16. i dont care what color cannabis is but IMO the stuff in that picture looks like crappy weed. just because its gold colored doesnt mean its not shit weed. that stuff looks like sticks, dried fan leaves, and possibly a bit of shake. there arent buds. doesnt even look like cannabis, and i suspect it may be a different plant, perhaps some kind of herbal smoke

if it was indeed weed, i would probably try it anyways, justbecause i like landraces. pick out a whatever buds are there and toss the rest. i do the same with landrace weed today, even some really ugly stuff with fan leaves, seeds, etc. and when you take the time to clean it, it looks pretty dank actually

17. never judge a book by it's cover

18. Obviously you never had any Gold Colombian to smoke.

19. A friend of mine used to take from his fathers stash a few years back and always said it was acapulco gold. I see no reason he would be lying about that since it was just another random strain to us. I dont have pictures unfortunately, but it was a great smoke and I suspect legitimate, meaning it is still out there