Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

GOLD WEED, the gold standard for Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana Stash Box' started by stevizzy, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Again stating what I previous said its a brown to a tan

Blues purples pinks
    Reds (deficiencies in the plant)
    White (immense trichome production)

Depending on hair color and quantity

The bud would look more orange/red and even yellow

Which is far closer to gold than the junk you posted earlier

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #22 stevizzy, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2013
    ^^^  Please don't call Classic Gold Colombian Marijuana JUNK!  It just shows your ignorance of the great old Classic Sativa strains of weed, now long gone, but not forgotten by people who've been smoking weed, most likely for longer than you've been alive.  Those strains were grown in their natural soil and climate near the Equator, not indoors under some fake artificial lighting.  Weed can be like tomatoes,  never as good as the stuff grown outdoors under natural sunlight in conditions identical to the location of the original strain.  Nobody ever won any medals for "Hydroponic Indoor Grown Wine".  You simply have no idea what good Gold Weed actually is.  Although I didn't take the picture of the Gold Colombian weed in the picture I submitted, I can assure you any Gold Colombian weed similar to the weed in the picture was definately not moldy junk.  I've seen bales of Colombian that had spoiled on a Sailboat during the long trip from Colombia to Florida due to moisture and it was Brown, not Gold.  I know because unfortunately I was the Captain of the Vessel carrying the damp weed.  Unfortunate incident,  but you learn, hopefully,  from your fuckups.  At least nobody got busted.  

Troll somewhere else unless you've got something constructive to add to our discussion of this great strain of weed.  You've said nothing here worth reading.   

3. the Gold strain i had was directly from florida from a doctor.

shit was really good! it didnt visually appear so at first glance. well it actually looked lke tobacco, but goddamn man

the high was VERY powerful. like EXTREME fucking body high and couch lock.
    i was pretty young when i had it, so it was a while back.

4. #24 stevizzy, Nov 21, 2013
    Ya know, I never thought about comparing the color to tobacco, it did have that color and texture when ground up and tobacco is also green while growing but somehow gets golden colored or light brown when cured.  The buds, although pretty to look at weren't  anywhere as nice as the manicured, sinsemilla buds we see today.  It had leaf material that after the bales were broken up, turned to "shake", and I personally didn't like to smoke the shake stuff.  I'd pick thru a bale and get my stash of primo buds.  That was just the way it was in those days, you had shake and buds.  Nobody wanted shake.  That said, besides the awesome color and flavor, the stuff just didn't look anywhere near as pretty as the medical grade weed we get today.  I guess when they're growing a field of weed,, nobody is gonna take the time to manicure each bud.  Colombian weed was better than Jamaican as far as the trim and bag appeal, but still had plenty of "shake".  I always managed to get the primo buds for myself and a few of my close friends and OH, how great it was.  

I really wish growers would at least try to get some Gold stuff on the market today, just so all the young stoners understand there is weed that comes in colors other than green and some with purple hues.  We won't even talk about brown weed, that's always shit, just like it's color.  Bring on the Gold!!!

5. you've provided useless information regarding this topic. A picture of brown weed with a gold name. Sounds like a marketing scheme to get rid of something thats not going to get you as highthus i stand on a previous post the hairs being yellow could have the possibility of it being "gold"and you can find all examples of those different colorful buds from people who have posted here, using the search buttonThree of the ways they seem to "cure" tobacco, seeing you made the reference it has the Color and Texture, are not the ways to cure the marijuana if you want a NATURALLY sweet/sour smell and taste Curing is a carefully controlled process used to achieve the texture, colour and overall quality of a specific tobacco type. During the cure, leaf starch is converted into sugar, and the tobacco changes colour from green to lemon, to yellow, to orange to brown, like tree leaves in autumn. There are four main curing methods:Air-Curing: During this process, the tobacco, such as Burley, is hung in unheated, ventilated barns to dry naturally until the leaf reaches a light to medium brown colour. At this point, there are virtually no sugars left in the leaf.Flue-Curing: Heat is introduced into a barn via pipes from an exterior furnace, like radiators connected to the central heating system. This controlled heat allows the leaves to turn yellow/orange and they contain a high amount of sugar. Virginia tobacco is flue-cured.Sun-Curing: Leaves are strung out on racks and exposed to the sun. The entire process takes 12 to 30 days. The sun's direct heat fixes the leaves at a yellow to orange colour with a high sugar content. Oriental is the most prominent of the sun cured tobaccos.Fire-Curing: Brushwood is burned under the tobacco leaves, drying the tobacco and producing a smoky fragrance. This type is mainly used in some pipe tobaccos such as Dunhill Morning Mixture.Sources:http://www.batcentralamerica.com/group/sites/bat_88lh9a.nsf/vwPagesWebLive/DO87JHC7?opendocument&SKN=1

6. #26 stevizzy, Nov 21, 2013
    ^^^  Thanks for the information about Tobacco curing but I started this thread to discuss Gold Marijuana not tobacco.  Many of us old time stoners have seen and smoked GOLD Pot.  It's GOLD thru and thru, not just the leaves,  and some other strains from Colombia were a brilliant bright Yellow color, like leaves on an Aspen tree during fall, some is a Reddish hue of GOLD, and that is called Santa Marta Red.

If you think it's shitty brown weed, you're simply misinformed because you haven't seen or smoked it.  That Gold weed hasn't been around since the 1970's.  Yes, there are some green buds with red hairs that might be considered RED, it's not...it's got red hairs but the buds itself are green.  I personally have some "gold" buds right now, where at a distance, or photographed with a cheap camera or one with a improper White Balance setting(WB) in said camera have a golden hue, but the buds are green inside and not what I'd call Gold Weed.

I've seen NO weed since the 1970's that has the gold, muted red or bright yellow color of those strains of Colombian Marijuana.  NONE!
    Judging from responses of others who smoked during that era, I'm not alone in knowing that weed existed, it's flavor, strength and most of all, the COLOR! Please don't tell me it's just some shitty brown weed someone was trying to pass off to idiots because it's no good.  I was there, traveled often to Colombia and was living in Florida during that era....I know it well my friend.  I've had bales of it.  You obviously have never seen or smoked it.  I wish you had, you'd probably love it as much as I do.  

It was quite good, tasted better than any of the stuff around today with red hairs, purple leaves multicolored buds.  The stuff today that might appear to have a gold or red hue is not GOLD Colombian or Santa Marta Red, or the Blond variety...which was quite pretty but not as potent as the Red or Gold versions.  The picture I posted is probably 40 years old, and copied from HighTimes Magazine but I know that weed well, and the color is pretty close for a 40yo picture that's been copied and pasted over the years.  

Thanks for the information about curing Tobacco, I found it quite interesting but it's not Marijuana and that's what this thread was about. I wish you could have smoked it then you'd know.  I'd send you some if I was lucky enough to have any left after all these years.  But, please don't try to tell me it's just shit brown weed.  You have no idea what the marijuana business was like in those days, I do, I was there. I'd gather from your comments that you've probably not yet reached your 40th birthday...I've been smoking longer than that.  

I'm not trying to be rude or criticize you. Obviously since you've never seen that variety of pot, you can't believe it actually was totally gold or yellow thru and thru, but trust me it was and I was curious enough about how it got that way that I started this thread.  

I posted the only picture I had of that old variety of Colombian weed....(sorry it's not  HighResolution ) because I know there are others my age that have seen it and I'm trying to advance the appreciation of those old strains by getting people interested enough to possibly try growing and curing it again.  I think it's a shame that nobody produces it anymore.  

I haven't been to Colombia in over 20 years so I'm not sure if it's still available down there, but it's certainly not exported anymore.  Why bother when the drug cartels can send hard drugs here, make more money with less volume than bales of weed.  It's simply economics and some evil people who are now controlling the drug business in Colombia.

It wasn't like that in those days, there were the weed people, then there were the thugs in the Cocaine industry.  I liked the weed people much better.  

7. #27 stevizzy, Nov 21, 2013
    Years ago I was in Jamaica and asked a grower how his weed (excellent, not commercial grade) got the cool red color that was a lot different than the typical street weed in Jamaica at the time.   He said they "do it" mon.   Since his Rastafarian accent was pretty thick and I couldn't speak Patwa, I had no idea what he was talking about.  Several trips later, I learned what he meant was they put the colas on some sort of tarp and put it out during the night so DEW would settle on the buds.  He meant "Dew it" Then before the morning sun got hot, they'd move the buds inside a shed or in shade.  That constant curing process turned the green buds to a reddish brown, more red than brown.  Although not as bright Red as SantaMarta Red from Colombia, it had a decided red color throughout and not just red hairs, that was quite different from the shit brown weed you'd find on the streets.  

That Jamaican Curing was crude but more than I've seen today with weed grown in California or Colorado...or my friends who grow it where I live.  I just don't understand why growers use the relatively simple curing today that gives us nothing but green buds with red hairs or some purple coloration.  That mellow cured flavor never develops in green buds, regardless of how much purple of red hairs you find on the buds.

8. I value your maturer response there I was being a devils advocate there are golden strains and even reds as you say but to come across those strains I feel you must look into where they originated such as Columbia or Mexico landraces is the term.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. I agree, after all the weed mentioned and in the old picture was all Colombian grown near Santa Marta.  That's fairly close to the Equator but the climate varies so much as you go up the mountains, it could have been grown in a high dry desert area, or in the Jungle.  I'd bet the gold stuff was grown in the desert area, but who knows, I never saw where they grew it.  I'ts fascinating to me because it's just a different method of growing and curing weed than I see with weed available today.  I get tired of the green flavor.  

10. Hey steveizzy, I haven't posted in quite a while, but reading your comments makes it sound like they came from me.   There's something that links the 70's people together in a special way.  The same can be said about the Santa Marta Gold we used to get that I would pay double today's prices for.  It's impossible to have someone younger to understand what we went through, especially with the gold.  And to think we used to buy it for $40/oz in mid 70's and get apology from the dealer because he used to charge too much.

That weed would be very special today.  I've read that the the Gold and a "punta rojo" Columbian weed exist today, but that the gold is very rare even in Columbia.  Both are supposed to be outstanding, but it's harder to locate the Gold.  While the gold is by far my favorite ever, I  still remember the thai sticks we used to see.

Regards,

11. from my understanding the color in columbian gold was achieved by cutting the "bark" if you will off the base of the stem below the buds you wanted to be gold, by stripping the protective outer layer of and exposing the weaker inner layers of the stem it caused the buds to die very slowly on the plant, turning them the lovely "gold" color, it was a really popular thing during the time you are talking about to make ones plants golden, and it had the added advantage of camoflauge as otherwise the plants would still be bright green while surrounding vegetation was turning brown

12. The Gold wasn't just a color. It was a taste and a high that is unlike anything today. It was the complete weed, just half a pin J rolled in club papers and you got somewhere none of today's weed can take you. And the taste oh the taste, the expansion are absolutely indescribable.

Seen your comments about the red bud. Oh it was wicked. It sank you below the table.

13. Bumping this thread, picked up some Golden Goat that's pink and gold from Hawaii 25% thc 1.1% cbd ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1385570970.236285.jpg

14. Gold weed? You sure you don't mean Caviar Gold? Top shelf covered in hash oil, this dipped in wax and rolled in kief. 70$ gram.

15. I just cure for 3 mos...nice n gold

16. #37 stevizzy, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2013
    No, the gold weed was a bright gold or yellow color.  I'm not sure exactly how it gets that color, possibly from the curing process as some mention, or it might be the way it's grown in Colombia where it originated in the 1970's when it was very popular.  The original Colombian Gold had seeds but still tasted really mild and sweet.  It probably didn't have as much THC as some strains today but it was quite enjoyable to smoke.  I wish it was still readily available today.  It used to sell for around $285/lb. during the 70's...which was quite expensive at the time.  

17. #38 iSmokePurps, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2013
    [quote name="stevizzy" post="19059719" timestamp="1385577693"]That looks so good. What does it taste and smell like?[/quote]Smells sweet, sour an spicy, taste like tropical fruit punch

18. I think gold strains today like Pot of Gold are gold because of developed amber trichs

19. The old landrace strains like Santa Marta Gold or Red are completely gold or red.  Even the shake or leaves have turned a bright gold color so it must be in the curing or letting the plant grow until it dies and turns gold naturally, like leaves on a tree in the fall.  I haven't seen truly gold weed in many years but I had one called Mellow Yellow last year that had the amber trichomes and gave it a gold hue...and was really tasty.