DIY Beer Can Reflector For CFLs

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by GoldGrower, Nov 16, 2013.

1. The one to the right is chronic ice a hemp tea lol and rock star to the left. Yeah I was worried the aluminum bracket would've gotten too warm but quickly realized that was silly of me and went for the freebee 😏

2. Yeah it should warm up a bit but it shouldn't be anymore than a zip tie can handle

3. #43 a soggy fish, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2014
    FYI I used electrical tape and it melted, so dont use that.
    Duck tape held, it got a bit soft and stretched a bit but stayed stuck.
    Oh and remember to wash the cans out first, i used energy drink cans and when i checked back later one was covered in soil from the circulation fan and wasnt reflecting.

Edit: (because it was sticky)

4. This is some great shit! Thx dude!

5. Seriously man, this is great. Genius i might say, but you'd have to find a way to do it with no hose clamp ha! Thanks for the idea GG.

6. Haha great post man! i use work light clamps which are a little bulky and dont seem to really be reflecting to much light.

[​IMG]

how is the aluminum at reflecting light? that picture posted in the dark with the beer can doesnt seem to be reflecting to well either, looks are decieving and would rather hear first hand from you.

7. #47 GoldGrower, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015

That picture wasn't taken in the dark,  I had turned the exposure right down so you could see detail, otherwise it would just be a white wash. 

I personally think they reflect pretty well.  Comparing it to the usual nothing they certainly win,  but how good they reflect is completely subjective so I'm not sure how to answer that question.  Compared to a commercially manufactured reflector they probably wouldn't win but for a couple of used drinks cans and a cable tie they are pretty amazing lol 

Make one yourself and be your own judge,  they take about 20 minutes to make,  faster if it's not your first time 

8. That's the cheapest and yet still very effective DIY for those CFL's... Reflectors are hugely important.

9. I think the open Wing is better than a Hood that goes to far behind the bulb... The light will be absored and the heat would build up(Picture above) I would rather use the Wings... they seem to be putting the light where it should be.

I totally agree man, especially about the heat build up

11. Any ides on 200w D.I.Y? I like the way you did the little lights but a 200w is like 5x the size lol

I think you would be better off just spending the £10 on a proper reflector. You would need the e40 fittings anyway

13. I already got the e40 fitting, and my space doesnt allow me to have a shop bought reflector

14. #54 GoldGrower, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
    Couldn't you just cut it down to size?
    how are you hanging your bulb?

15. the light will be horizontal, I could but id rather not pay for a reflector just to cut it:p
    Anyways I think I got an idea if it works I will try and upload pics. Peace

16. #56 GoldGrower, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
    You would be paying for a reflector to use it, you would be modifying it to suit your needs. It makes sense to me. I'm looking forward to seeing your idea though

17. Yah the same goes for a bigger CFL.. just build a DIY feflector shape using cardboard.. then add either Mylar..or white paint. Works wonderfully.

18. Creative nice job

19. What a great idea! Much rather use those then the clip-lights like above. I'm going to make some for my mother-plants. Thnx for sharing!

20. Very nice. I like it.