Organic food is an absolute joke.

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by HighFoSho, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Roots, I have to say > if anybody were going to convert me to be an "all organic" non-GMO, type of guy, it would be you :) LOL

At least you see both sides, and know how to articulate it.

"I'm convinced it's a combination of GMOs and pesticides that is amplifying this disease (in addition to poor air quality, and other shitty anthropogenic factors)"

While I cannot say that GMO's and pesticide have never killed anyone (although its never been proven to have) I totally believe this to be a much smaller part of the problem. Air quality, and anthropogenic factors, are probably a little bit bigger.
    The very biggest part of America's health issues, is from eating loads of fast food, junk food, highly processed crap, along with little, to no exercise.

When you said, "You do eat all organic".... I actually believe you :) Like I had said, I couldn't afford to eat organic, "IF" I did think it was night and day healthier. But I do shop at our local Farmers Market, where much of it could probably pass for organic, but they don't waste time and money labeling it as such, then charging me more for it. In fact, we have an awesome FM with a crazy huge supply, selection, and literally 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of grocery stores in town. < This, is why I shop there.

I've certainly watched friends and acquaintances destroy there bodies by eating shitty, and no exercise....

However, I don't believe this had anything to do with them eating non-organic fruits and veggies. Heck, are you kidding ? I have friends who are probably not sure what fruits and veggies are ? No. They have let there health totally go to shit, eating too much lousy processed crap in the first place, along with too many carbs, and not doing any exercise to burn them off.

And this is my whole point in a nut shell;

Basically, I believe when it comes to health and fitness, their are just much bigger fish to fry. Rather than focusing on some vague ideas, with little factual evidence to support them, I think people need to step back and take a look at the bigger picture.

Everybody already knows that its best to eat a balanced diet, and exercise regularly.......
    But for a lot of people it's just "easier" to ignore all of that stuff (the important stuff) and just buy a cart of groceries with organic stamped all over them, and now they think will be just as healthy as a person with an overall healthier diet, and regular exercise ;) LOL
    Not.

2. GMOs Linked to Organ Disruption in 19 Studies

:

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/posts/gmos-linked-to-organ-disruption-in-19-studies/

new paper shows that consuming genetically modified (GM) corn or soybeans leads to significant organ disruptions in rats and mice, particularly in livers and kidneys. By reviewing data from 19 animal studies,Professor Gilles-Eric Séralini and others reveal that 9% of the measured parameters, including blood and urine biochemistry, organ weights, and microscopic analyses (histopathology), were significantly disrupted in the GM-fed animals. The kidneys of males fared the worst, with 43.5% of all the changes. The liver of females followed, with 30.8%. The report, published inEnvironmental Sciences Europe on March 1, 2011, confirms that “several convergent data appear to indicate liver and kidney problems as end points of GMO diet effects.” The authors point out that livers and kidneys “are the major reactive organs” in cases of chronic food toxicity.“Other organs may be affected too, such as the heart and spleen, or blood cells,” stated the paper. In fact some of the animals fed genetically modified organisms had altered body weights in at least one gender, which is “a very good predictor of side effects in various organs.”The GM soybean and corn varieties used in the feeding trials “constitute 83% of the commercialized GMOs” that are currently consumed by billions of people. While the findings may have serious ramifications for the human population, the authors demonstrate how a multitude of GMO-related health problems could easily pass undetected through the superficial and largely incompetent safety assessments that are used around the world.Feed'em longer!One of the most glaring faults in the current regulatory regime is the short duration of animals feeding studies. The industry limits trials to 90 days at most, with some less than a month. Only two studies reviewed in this new publication were over 90 days-both were non-industry research.Short studies could easily miss many serious effects of GMOs. It is well established that some pesticides and drugs, for example, can create effects that are passed on through generations, only showing up decades later. IN the case of the drug DES (diethylstilbestrol), “induced female genital cancers among other problems in the second generation.” The authors urge regulators to require long-term multi-generational studies, to “provide evidence of carcinogenic, developmental, hormonal, neural, and reproductive potential dysfunctions, as it does for pesticides or drugs.”“Pesticide Plants”Nearly all GM crops are described as “pesticide plants.” They either tolerate doses of weed killer, such as Roundup, or produce an insecticide called Bt-toxin. In both cases, the added toxin-weedkiller or bug killer-is foundinside the corn or soybeans we consume.When regulators evaluate the toxic effects of pesticides, they typically require studies using three types of animals, with at least one feeding trial lasting 2 years or more. One third or more of the side effects produced by these toxins will show up only in the longer study-not the shorter ones. But for no good reason, regulators ignore the lessons learned from pesticides and waive the GM crops-containing-pesticides onto the market with a single species tested for just 90 days. The authors affirm that “it is impossible, within only 13 weeks, to conclude about the kind of pathology that could be induced by pesticide GMOs and whether it is a major pathology or a minor one. It is therefore necessary to prolong the tests.”GMO approvals also ignore the new understanding that toxins don't always follow a linear dose-response. Sometimes a smaller amount of toxins have greater impact than larger doses. Approvals also overlook the fact that mixtures can be far more dangerous than single chemicals acting alone. Roundup residues, for example, have been “shown to be toxic for human placental, embryonic, and umbilical cord cells,” whereas Roundup's active ingredient glyphosate does not on its own provoke the same degree of damage. One reason for this is that the chemicals in Roundup “stabilize glyphosate and allow its penetration into cells.”Furthermore, toxins may generate new substances (metabolites) “either in the GM plant or in the animals fed with it.” Current assessments completely ignore the potential danger from these new components in our diets, such as the “new metabolites” in GMOs engineered to withstand Roundup. The authors warn, “We consider this as a major oversight in the present regulations.” CONT.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I worked at a supermarket while I was a teenager and I always said mafuckas could put "organic" in front of anything and sell more.

Like shit, "organic bleach" and these yuppy ass folk would eat it up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. http://naturalsociety.com/800-million-pounds-pesticides-unwashable-bred-food-gmo/

farmers and farm workers who use conventional methods of planting are exposed to egregious amounts of pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides. They suffer from all kinds of serious health problems due to this contact with multiple poisons. The worst part? There is no eliminating pesticides from our foods once it is sprayed onto our plants, but as if that weren't enough, now companies like Monsanto are ‘breeding pesticides' right into our food crops with genetically modified organisms (GMO).<iframe width=”420″ height=”315″ src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/F4R21kZt0rw” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>In a study of children who didn't live anywhere close to a farm that were given organic foods for two weeks, they had incredibly lower levels of pesticides in their urine samples during those two weeks. As soon as they were given conventionally grown foods again – those contaminated with pesticides – the levels of poison in their urine spiked again. These pesticides can't be washed off.Read more:  us:mad:naturalsociety on Twitter | NaturalSociety on Facebook

The irony of this is that pesticides were used in the first place to try to increase crop yields and protect crops from insect damage; however,a report issued by the Union of Concerned Scientists entitled Failure to Yield: Evaluating the Performance of Genetically Engineered Crops states very clearly that any increases in yield for either GMO or organically grown crops were due to improvements in agricultural practices and not GMO seed.“Biotechnology companies maintain that genetic engineering is essential to meeting this goal. Monsanto, for example, was running an advertising campaign at the time of the report release warning of an exploding world population and claiming that its “advanced seeds… significantly increase crop yields…” The report debunks that claim, concluding that genetic engineering is unlikely to play a significant role in increasing food production in the foreseeable future.” (http://www.ucsusa.org)

Pesticides: The Unwashable Danger

The studies which outline the pesticide exposure endured by the farming industry are so prevalent we couldn't list them all in one place, but a Cornell University study mentions the numerous ways that workers are exposed to pesticides, from dirt-dust on tractors to water contamination to chemical spraying, and just some of the outcomes of this exposure – including cancer.In another study, children exposed toorganophosphate pesticides (OPs) have higher chances of developing health problems including impaired motor-coordination and cognitive functioning as well as respiratory disease along with a host of other issues. Even infants can be exposed to high levels of OPs if they live on a farm, through consuming their mother's breast milk. If farm workers are blatantly poisoned by their exposure to pesticides in our conventionally grown food supply, why is it not a logical conclusion to assume that we will suffer from similar issues even if we live in a more urban setting?Read: 7 Nasty Effects of PesticidesWhile biotechnology has been promising better crop yields since the early 1990s, they have yet to deliver and in the meantime our children are peeing out their poisons in lab tests. Exposure levels are continuing to affect not just farmers and their families, but also the public at large. Instead of 800,000,000 pounds of pesticides, might we not look to organic practices that actually do increase crop yieldsand save our future generations?Organic farming practices are accumulating some steam. In fact, the number of organic farms nationwide has grown to well over 8,000. These farms have sufficiently dispelled the perception that organic farming is too difficult, too risky, or too expensive to be practical. Improving soil fertility, utilizing well timed interactions of crop rotation, intercropping combinations, planting schedules and maintaining beneficial habitats are just some of the ways we can ditch our pesticide habit as a nation, and make ditching GMO crops a forgone conclusion.Read more:  us:mad:naturalsociety on Twitter | NaturalSociety on Facebook

5. Mad hating on " yuppy mafuckas " because they/we want a healthier option?? O you're real hardcore

• Like Like x 2
  6. I thought the point of organic was that there aren't any pesticides or additives.  This seems to be a health benefit to me although it isn't worth the extra cost to me.

7. Youre a fuckin dumbass. Think about this:
    I have 2 things of jelly at home, one is smuckers, the other is from a small farmers market. Smuckers has HFCS, other doesnt. Smucker has 10% more fat, more calories, more sodium, lots more sugar. Smuckers has alot of ingredients, other has ONE: RASPBERRY PRESERVES.
    Its common sense to realize that the INGREDIENTS on a label are different. Look dude, you can actually fucking READ the label, you dont have to go out and feel special & smart by watching a video whixh is obviously biased based on how they portrayed the organic food eaters. Why dont you take 2 of the same product, peanut butter, potato chips, whatever, has 1 be your typical favorite go-to product, the other be organic. Just look at the differences in ingredients, nutritional benefits, what the organic food DOESNT have like alot of salt and sugar.

You dont need to listen to what scientists or the cancer society has to say. Just because it doesnt cause cancer (which it does), but it causes a wide range of diseases.

Pretty much i think its fucking ridiculous you had to make a thread about the way people EAT. I GUARENTEE you im healthier than you are, based on my diet and exercise.

How about YOU quit bitching about what other people are eating, and go hit up the drive thru @ mcdonalds.

/of fucking rant.

• Like Like x 1
  8. #48 waktoo, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    My man... let's not attack other posters.  I UNDERSTAND your frustration.  But I've seen way too many threads dealing with this subject shut down because rational discourse breaks down into vitriolic pissing contests and personal insult.  I want to hear what the man has to say...

Having said that, the points you made in your post are most certainly valid.  Stick around...

• Like Like x 3
  9. I like organic peanut butter, because it's pretty much just oil and peanuts blended up which is how it should be. I don't really give a fuck about a lot of other organic goods though, I guess because I don't have a warped perception about "chemicals".

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hey op, i think you should repost this thread in the 'organic growing' sub forum. In there you will find some extremely well educated organic farmers.

Keep your mind open, some video on the internet is not the end all be all to anything. If you really did your research about the actual cultivation methods you will find that not every organic farmer in the world is up his own ass.
    tj

• Like Like x 1
  11. Peanuts actually have their own oil. To make ur own peanut butter, you just grind up peanuts and add salt if you want.

• Like Like x 2
  12. #52 Carl Weathers, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

I've always found the need to add extra oil, when making it at home. I guess my blender doesn't really get them pureed to the extent that their oils really get into the mixture. Hence why I fork out for expensive peanut butter from the organic section, and gave up trying to make it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. grocery stores sell fruit that still needs time to ripen all the time. its on you to know if its ripe or not.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I think organic food is a total con..... they would use the same fruit, but charge the higher price for an "organic" label

15. Maybe you should do a bit more research on organic vs. GMO or non organic. First off organic is NOT GMO!!!! GMO's are scientifically proven to cause auto immune diseases. The GMO are modified to withstand the weed killer round up... ROUND UP IS POISON!!! This seeps into your food and comes up thru the roots into your food. Meaning YOU CANT JUST WASH OFF. Organic DOES NOTHING OF THIS SORT. I'm guessing you eat the shit out of high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils too not realizing that "back in the day" they just used regular old sugar and butter. (Research them both because they are killing you) It's the way they are modifying our food supply to make more for less. It's not about feeding the population it's about MONEY!!!! Our government does NOT care about our health. All I can say is MONSANTO... Research please!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 5
  16. What does ripe or unripe have to do with being organic at all?

J

• Like Like x 1
  17. Samson LOL :) Never mind :)

Gazza ! WTF ? Do you know where you are ? ;) You don't mean to tell me, you think for yourself, too ? You should know, that's often looked down upon, by the masses from their wagons :) LOL

So here's another challenge for you guys. Do you know who Norman Borlaug is ? Well, if you knew nothing else about him, and won't take a few seconds to look at his Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug in short, he is credited with saving as many as 1 Billion human lives ! And guess how ? Read this Wiki page and find out. See if your against all that too.

.......while keeping in mind we are @ 7+ billion, and climbing fast !

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bait a defense argument much?

I think GMO food should be labeled as such.  Let the demand for it keep it in stores.  

• Like Like x 1
  19. #59 GiMiK, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013

Responses in bold above.

• Like Like x 4
  20. If science didn't play god and create super food then there wouldn't be an OVER POPULATION PROBLEM... It's sad but true. If there are populations that don't have as much food or even in the US don't you think population would slow down to what nature can sustain? Like nature intended? Yeah people would starve and die but if our government didn't make all kinds I retarded laws like seat belts and helmets while riding bikes then there would b less people too. Over population is a problem that needs to be fixed not with super foods but by regulating what's actually available. In my house we have 6 kids and NONE OF US eat GMO!! And proud of it

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum