Could you help me please? Cant tell from over or under fed.

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Ridiculous, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Hello my GC friends! Could ya'll please take a look at this and help me decide whether this is cause by me overfeeding or are they asking for more food? I'm having such a hard time telling nute burn from deficiency and its driving me crazy. I've read so much info in the last week that my mind can't handle anymore! One day I think it's mg deficiency, then I think calcium deficiency, then I decide, nah, it's probably just me overfeeding, since they're so young still. So first, I'll post the basic questions that need answered, then I'll post my had written log I've been keeping, and last, pictures of course. So here we go:

Basic questions:
    What type of medium; soil or hydro?
    coco coir
    What brand and type of soil?
    botanicare coco gro
    Indoors or outdoors?
    indoors
    What strain?
    Northern lights from nirvana
    How old are the plants?
    2 weeks on monday
    What type of lights and how many watts?
    cfl 84 watts each plant
    How far from the lights?
    2 inches
    What is your watering frequency and source of water?
    Ever few days tap water
    What, how much and when was it fed?
    Fox farm grow big and big bloom (i have the soil nutes, it was too late by the time i found out they had hydro nutes too) please refer to feeding log below for answer to rest of this question
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro?
    i don't check runoff
    What are the temps and humidity in the room?
    70F 58% 
    What size pots? 
    Small solo cups
    Any bugs? Look real close.
    no 

Feeding Log:
    Ok, so this is exactly what I've done since they sprouted through the coco.

10-28-13
    Two healthy seedlings. Watered on this day with Grow Big according to the label for seedlings. Did not own Big Bloom yet.

11-1-13
    Ready for water again. It's technically a no nute watering on this day according to my plan (which is feed, water, feed, and so on) but I picked up Big Bloom in the mean time so I figure I'll throw a bit in the water since it's supposed to be so safe.
    So, I watered with Big Bloom only @ a rate of 2 TSP/gal. The label calls for 2 TBSP/gal. for seedlings but I had the wrong measuring spoon and didn't realize it until after the fact. So they got a reduced rate, according to the label. Solution PH @ 6.0

11-3-13
    Watered with Big Bloom @ 1 tbsp/gal. and Grow Big @ 1 tsp/gal. Solution PH @ 5.5

11-5-13
    Watered with plain tap water PH'ed @ 6.0. The yellow leaves began on this day.

11-7-13
    Watered with Big Bloom @ 1 tbsp/gal, Grow Big @ 1/2 tsp/gal, Epsom salt @ 1/2 tsp/gal. Solution PH @ 5.5
    On this day it sure seems like a mg deficiency to me, from what I've read. But I might be over reacting. 

11-9-13 (Today)
    Still yellow leaves but plants are growing. I don't have a PPM/EC meter due to lack of money right now, but I know I need one, so it's on the agenda.
    Watered with plain tap water PH'ed @ 6.0, and I watered with minimal runoff. 
    All other waterings I had substantial runoff.

So that's it. Next I'll post pics. It'll be in another post cause it's easier from my phone so stand by...

But i'm growing two plants, and i'll post three pics. one of my basic setup, and one pic of each plant outside of the grow room so the lights don't mess with things.

Thanks so much for your time guys/gals!

2. If this was soil I'd say I over fed, yes. But this is a coco grow so I feel like I need some cal mag to fix this. Ahh this is driving me nuts.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. No-one? Sad face...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. also note, the reason i think its a mg deficiency is because the leaf tips are curled up like they're "praying for mg" as i've read in other posts

5. Well your pics aren't loading so i can't help you. Heres a chart. Also might be nute burn. Its not about age, its about size.

-Over Grown Society-

Attached Files:

6. well poop, i dont know why they won't load...i can see them from my computer, and i uploaded from my phone...hmmm

7. Look like lack of cal/mag to me.

8. Coco and LEDS need more cal/mag

9. Have you checked your runoff pH?

10. Get your pH correct at runoff and some cal/mag and I believe you will be good to go, best of luck.

11. Checking your pH at runoff is a must, just read you hadnt checked it, gotta do it.

12. same as what i've been thinking. just needing someone to tell me whether i'm right or wrong.

LED? i can't afford that. i got CFLs :)

man i tell ya, that's the hardest part about this whole thing is getting/reading conflicting advice. do this, don't do that.
    i keep reading that with coco it doesn't matter what the runoff PH is. just make sure it's right going in and all is good. *sigh*

13. Hey gc friends! Since I'm a cool guy. I thought I'd update this. The first pic is what we started with. And the second pic is of where we're at now! I'm now at 3rd week of veg, transplanted into 3 gal pots, I switched to distilled water with cal mag, and I'm also using canna coco a&b now. The plants sure are coming alive! And to top it off I got a ph/ec meter! Will be feeding tomorrow at about 475 ppm @.5 (i think I typed that right. Still getting used to the meter but it sure is nice having one!

Anyways I hope that all makes sense. Peace!

Attached Files:

14. Well done my friend, that's the way to handle business

Where'd that form u filed out come from? That'd be helpful on the stick plants thread
    Cheers bro

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1235339-Never-grown-a-thang-in-my-life...until-now!

15. Np, u handled yourself well and made your problem clear and concise+good pics etc.
    Makes it allot easier to help troubleshoot and get dialed in.

And Yeah bud the first post all the stuff in green.

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1235339-Never-grown-a-thang-in-my-life...until-now!

16. Dude!! Same issue, same strain, same supplier! Canna a b to start with still gave me that, less water, adding calmag sorted mine back out again. How did you factor the calmag into your feeds? How are they now? Ive just low leveled it with the 60ppm water plus 2ml calmag over 5 ltrs then put the a and b in to give 428ppm total, but wasnt sure if that was best or just to go nutes, nutes, calmag water and repeat.

17. [quote name="homegrownhigrades" post="19088698" timestamp="1386019281"]Dude!! Same issue, same strain, same supplier! Canna a b to start with still gave me that, less water, adding calmag sorted mine back out again. How did you factor the calmag into your feeds? How are they now? Ive just low leveled it with the 60ppm water plus 2ml calmag over 5 ltrs then put the a and b in to give 428ppm total, but wasnt sure if that was best or just to go nutes, nutes, calmag water and repeat.[/quote]I started using ro water so cal mag is the first thing I add giving me my base. Then I'm up to 9ml/gal of canna on top of that. The plants are seeming happy. Today was the finish of the first week of flower. But ya I'm using calmag and canna with every watering right now while watching the ppm of the runoff. When that gets too high I cut the solution back til the runoff is back where I want it. I also read from some respected grower on here that they never exceeded 1.2-1.4 ec in their feeds during flowing so I plan on following their advice. Hope that made sense. Here is a pic I just took tonight. One week into flowering

Attached Files: