Why Powdery Mildew?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Mr Sticky Fingers, Nov 10, 2013.

1. I keep my 6x8 grow room constant at 71-78 degrees and 50-60% humidity so why am I still getting PM? I've been told it can't live in these conditions. Obviously that's not the case. What am I missing?

2. Hygiene,  .. check your intake temp and humidity

• Like Like x 1
  3. Make sure theres Good air circulation throughout the whole room, no dead zones where air may not be circulating. Once you get it your always going to have to keep an eye out maybe lower humidity would do some good as well 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Once you get it you pretty much have to bomb with a fungicide and bleach everything..then like was said low humidity especially lights out and lots of circulation

5. Humidity is a lil high. If ur in veg 60% is good, while in flower take that down to 45%-47%. As it was stated about good air circulation, to do this just make sure u have negative pressure and ur golden.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. The only way I got it outta my room was to finish a run of plants so there was nothing in there and then gavroom a good cleaning.

• Like Like x 1
  7. #7 DopestDope13, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
    Theres also sulfur burners if u want to go that route, not during flower though

8. Sometimes the problem is systemic , meaning it's actually inside the plants themselves. Try watering with 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide (the 3% stuff) per gallon for a few waterings. It won't hurt a thing root/plant wise, in fact the extra oxygen molecule should help the roots. And it'll help internally to clear it up.

Dig, scoop, drop, drip, cut, crop, bag, burn, repeat.......

9. Its also going to kill all your beneficial bacteria... better control of the environment will take care of it, just add a oscillating fan or 2 make sure you have fresh air coming in and air moving out of the room. Save the h2o2 for root rot or overwatering

10. I have a 30 pint/day dehumidifier set on 50 and while the display on it always reads 60 or more, other sensors I have in the room read around 50. An AC runs non-stop. The humidity seems to go up at lights out to around 60% The PM DOES start at one end of the room where the air flow is the slowest, I'll add a fan to that corner. The room is about 6x8 and I have two 16" oscillating wall mounted fans set on high. 

I can't change my intake source, my bedroom where it's always around 75-80 degrees and 70-80% humidity. I used to have better air exchange when my main blower drew air out of the bud room through the lights and a vent from the bedroom replenished. In order to get the humidity down, however, I now have the blower drawing air through the lights from the bedroom (a sealed system). To introduce new air into the room I have a Hepa, ionizing air filter mounted in the wall blowing in on high.

After the last harvest, I bleached the shit out of everything, walls, ceiling, the works but didn't do a sulfer burn. Seems like a catch 22..... you want new air but not the humidity and temps that come with! I use h2o2 regularly and just today did a major flush with it to deal with another problem. I spot treat the PM with a fungicide in a cooking oil sprayer.

11. Do you run your fans when the lights are off? Also if you want to get rid of it quick ive used greencure fungicide and soaked the whole plant and had good results, but this is not a permanent solution it will comeback if you dont have your enviornment in check. I have pm issues as well so i keep my humidity low like in the 20 to 30% range, and leave my fans running 24/7.

12. My fans run 24/7 and I too am using the Greencure product. I'm 6 weeks into flower so don't want to spray too much, just knocking back the PM patches with the small sprayer. I'm wondering if I need to re-up my air exchange and climate control my bedroom that feeds the bud room. I didn't want to do that because closing it in will make it uncomfortable for living. What about putting a dehumidifier in the bedroom and ducting it directly into an expanded bud room intake? I have a bigger dehumidifier so I'll swap them out and try to drive it down lower than 50%. 

I live in Hawaii and it never gets cold enough to kill the micro critters. I'm new to growing but everyone in the know says it's really tricky here. I'm starting to figure that out. Just today I found a problem with my outdoor plants. We have some kind of moth that lays an egg in the buds that hatches a tiny caterpillar that rots them from the inside out. I hoped my defenses were enough but......they're here. :(

13. You can continue your grow as usual. When you are done, before you hang to dry, mix about 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide to 5gal of water (don't quote me on that ratio, I may be a little off... Look up Jorge Cervantes' video on YouTube about powdery mildew and get the exact amount he recommends). I actually clean/sterilize my buds like this every time and it gives you the most clean finished product ever. It will knock out mold/mildew, or even residue from anything that may have gotten onto your buds.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. I replaced the 30pt/day dehumidifier with a 70pt/day and enlarged a hole I had cut in the duct for my primary exhaust......I'm drawing more air out of the bud room to create negative pressure. The bigger unit blows a lot more heat so the numbers are holding here....temp 77 and humidity 47% with the lights still on. They're going off in moments and I'll see where the humidity goes.

Killer, I actually used JC's wash method last harvest and it worked great. I was drying my plants with a blow drier and almost had a heart attack in the process but we all survived. This time I won't be so stressed out. 

15. I had a mildew problem for a while until I got a large room Honeywell HEPA filter on Ebay for around $70.  It also has carbon filters which help remove some of the smell as well.  I placed it inside the tent (4x4x6.5ft homemade tent) and allow the vent to blow on the bulb for extra cooling.  The HEPA filter removes the mold spores from the air, thus preventing it from taking hold.  Super pleased with the results, and a lot cheaper to run than a dehumidifier (which is pretty similar to a A/C without the cooling).  They have smaller versions for around $30 also if $70 is too much to give it a shot and they should be sufficient based on the amount of air they can cycle.  Good luck!

16. Thanks Poobrick, I'll look in to that option. I'm just over an hour after lights out and for some inexplicable reason my humidity is going through the roof, it's over 60% with the big ass dehumidifier in the tiny room set at 45%. My main exhaust blower goes off with the lights so at lights out, I'm introducing the least amount of outside air and yet this is when the humidity spikes. I'm no idiot and I just don't understand that. lol

17. So why not leave the exhaust fan on when the lights go out? If all else failsTry sativa dominant strains or something thats resistant to mold and mildew on the next one 

18. Right, I actually did leave the exhaust running all night too. When I got up though, with the dehumidifier set on 45% it was 65% in there but as soon as the lights came on it started dropping, I don't understand what's going on there.

19. #19 TinTizzy, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
    The light evapoates the water from the stomatas that just sit on the leaves at night..thats my guess

20. This probably is not something many people will try, but when I got pretty heavy mildew, I read that raising the temperture in your grow area to 100 degrees, for 1 hour, will wipe it out. So, I got a space heater and turned it on while the 1000 watt bulb was burning. Temp went to about 98 and I kept there for 1 hour.
    While doing this, I put lots of ice in my hydroponoc reseivoir, to keep the roots cool. The plants wilted to the extent I thought they were dead, but were fine the next day and the midew did not return

• Like Like x 1