Thoughts On Creatine and Whey Protein?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by PositiveHerbs, Nov 8, 2013.

1. WOuld you guys recommend creatine? Like before you work out or is it true its bad for you? Or does it even work at all and your experience with it  :smoke:

2. Used it on/off for years. You will find a vast amount of mixed data on creatine these days. It comes down again to the person taking it.

Does it make me retain water? Highly unlikely. A common myth. Though, if you are of larger body fat % naturally and consume a great deal of water everyday, I'd say you will retain some water.

Will it cause inflammation in my kidneys? Well, when is last time visiting your physician?. A pre-exisiting condition can certainly come to rise with the use of any supplement. Sure the use of creatine can have ill effects on the body.

Should I pre-load it when first starting or consume it with sugary drinks? Pre-loading is a common myth with creatine. A great deal of recent studies show lesser is more with creatine and that frequency of delivery is more important.  Creatine is delivered to your muscles via insulin. Drinking surgary drinks does not really aide this, rather 100g of 100% juice per 5g of creatine to aide insulin delivery to the muscles will certain help.

I could go on for days with creatine. Its been used for a great deal of time. Powder form is the most stable. Liquid will turn to creatinine faster in the body and have dramatically less effect. If you are in good standing with your health and your Physician, try it out for 30days and document the results. Stick with plain old Monohydrate powder.

3. The water retention thing certainly isn't a myth. I've put on an extra 3-4 pounds since I started loading again about 10 day's ago and I can guarantee it isn't muscle or fat.

4. no real point to creatine but whey protein is just a protein isolate. There's nothing wrong with it, but I'd always prefer to eat real food.

5. Creatine draws water from the body to the cells. This leads to cell volumization (water inside the cell). This make the muscle larger and firmer. Water retention is when water is outside the cell and results in the muscle looking smooth and not toned.
    If you are retaining water, it is likely not due to the creatine.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. #6 IBALL904, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
    Real food and weed are all I need while working out 3-5 times a week. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Came into this thread thinking I'd have a good answer, but you pretty much covered it.

Good answer dude haha :)

8. If you're bulking up, then yes.

9. Ive been using whey for a little over a year and, along with weight training and eating organic, lost 50 lbs of fat. The beginning of last school year i was 200 (5'11), after wt, dieting, and completely different lifesytle, i was at 145 at the beginning of this school year (august). Ive been using creatine and whey every week day this year, now im at 160.

While whey protein and creatine will help a lot, it all really matters about how much you workout and how much/what you eat. Find something that works and stay consistent,

The supplements/nutrients i take everyday, which i would highly recommend if you want to get healthy as well as gain muscle:

Bioplex whey protein isolate (89% protein)
    Beast nutrition creature creatine
    Spectrum fish oil pills with vit. D (fish oil benefits the body in so many ways)
    Shot of apple cider vinegar (helps loose body fats and has tons of benefits)
    Kombucha tea (similar to acv)
    Emergen-c (has sooooo many vitamins, great for pre-workouts/breakfast

Plus lots of fruits, salad, and breads

Also you should be drinking about a gallon everyday whether you take creatine or not

10. Whey protein and creatine supplements work well together when it comes to building muscle and strength. Creatine helps supply your muscles with energy while whey protein aids in muscle recovery and muscle synthesis.

11. Casein protein is also something to give a try. Take a scoop in water or milk before going to bed and another glass as soon as you wake up. Casein takes linger to dissolve so your body absorbs it slowly while you sleep. This is probably the most important time for your body's muscles to rebuild, and the amino acids provided by the casein help with that.

I usually take my whey pre and post workout and my creatine post workout. And cycle creatine every other month. With a loading stage on the first week of the month I take creatine.

12. I'm a anti-creatine type of guy, seen people used it and sure it helps but in my opinion I prefer someone that looks fit healthy+ cardio than a beef-ham that takes creatine or roids. It's more of a challenge to work out and be natural than to take those types of boosters.

Just my two cents, you don't have to agree with me

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. if your not retaining water while using creatine than its because your not drinking enough water, 1 gallon minimum usually unless your extremely small.

14. #14 blazemore, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    Nature supplies you with all the proteins you need. You don't need anything else. Work hard and results will come.As far are creatine goes, no. I think a mile run would give the mind and body a lot more energy after some heavy lifting.Good luck!

15. #15 â’¸anadianBuds, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013

Sure, nature supplies you with all the proteins you need, but not everyone has a chance to make and eat 3-6 meals a day with meat included in each one, therefor people take supplements to make up for it. 

And it appears you do not understand how creatine works. Creatine is naturally created in our bodies, we get it mainly from red meats. It fuels our body with ATP once our body has depleted our natural sources. All it does is replenish the phosphates that are used to "power' ATP. Running isn't going to magically replenish the ATP levels.

16. Like wat canadianbuds said it supplies extra atp to the muscles to get those last few reps out. Some ppl bash it but a better workout leads to better muscle gains. If you take standard monohydrate load it 10g before workout nd 10 g after you workout for about a week. After that just take 10g after you workout. Some higher quality creatines dont require a loading phase so check the label. i think thats all i know lol

17. oh yeah nd a high quality protein is more important after you workout than creatine but theyre both good

18. #18 well highdrated, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
    creatine is one the most beneficial and well-researched supplements out there. it is not just good for building muscles. it has a number of other interesting properties:
    http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/

for proteins you want to stay away from isolates. (yeah you get more grams of protein per serving, but you are also ingesting a chemically-altered substance). you can get all the required protein from natural food sources. if you still need more, find an organic and not chemically altered product. including hemp seed powder or if you blender is strong enough can use hemp seeds.

19. Worked for me, held shit all water down.

20. Don't use creatine, whey protein however 50-60g of it after a workout every time. Or a game for that matter -- soccer. Minimize the soreness, and get the muscles to bounce back quicker.