My First Grow Micro-CFL BagSeed

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Behumble, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Grow Log: First Grow
    Genetics: Bag Seed
    Lighting: 26 Watt CFL 2600 Lumen ( Best I can find at walmart :\\ )
    Space: 1.5 x 1.5 x 2 Sterrilite Container
    Medium: Miracle Grow Seed Starter

Alright so this is my very first grow and I wanted to focus on getting a decent box that will last a few and keep the ferts and such basic for this round. I figure if I start to notice illness I can treat as needed rather than try to find Organic Soil and all that for a grow im probably gonna f*ck up anyway.

So I set out to Walmart and Home Depot to grab the basics and found what I originally thought was a sufficient size box to line with reflective liner and use as my micro grow box. I grabbed two indoor wall mount lights and fixed them to the top of the box above the plant. I have little room to work with and chose this hanging method over sideways so that I could have effective ventilation from the sides of the box. However m box being so small has created a cooling issue. My Box with one 26W CFL 2600 Lumen is running about 90-92F. I added a desktop fan and some ducting to try and pull in some cold air and it brought the temp down about 4 degrees but not enough as I will need more wattage soon correct ? So I installed a 8mm PC fan at the top of the box for ventilation that operates off of a 6v Battery independently.

I have adjusted the fans to try duel exhaust and wasn't able to get a noticeable temperature difference inside the box. I live in the south and our humidity is super high here and were approaching our cold season so im not TOO Concerned about it right now but I also want to be able to grow personal quantities year round.

Any help with this or advice would be greatly appreciated. I stopped by home depot today and got a 50cfm house hold duct vent im going to use to try and pull the hot air out of the box and turn the PC fan into an induction at the bottom.

Currently I am on day 2 of Germ and 3/7 have split so far I think the others might be duds but im going to give them until morning to make up there mind.

I intend on growing one plant for now but for obviouse gender concerns I will be taking at least 3 to sexting.

As for the lighting "concerns" I think im going to do this grow on just the 2600lumen bulbs all the way through and for my next one I will order a few 6500 off the interweb for my next go. Hopefully I will have a mother to pull the next batch from!

Any advice concerns or criticisms to the plan are always welcome ! Ill post updates as we go!

Please keep negative comments about me or other people who post on this thread to yourself. I am here to learn so I anticipate mistakes and welcome all advice or ideas. However bashing others grow methods and disputing back and forth to no resolution about what lights you prefer will not help anybody and you just end up looking like a super douche. So lets avoid that and play nice :D Wish me luck !

!!!!!! These photos are of the box while still in "construction" phase. I will post some up tonight after I mount in the new fan. Of course I will do before and after. Its pretty heavy duty!
    [​IMG]

(This is a little distorted but you get the idea.)
    [​IMG]
     This is the PC fan I added to the top of the box to help pull the hot air from around the ballast out but didn't work out quite as well as I had hoped because ive still got heat issues haha.

[​IMG]
    The pictures are sideways lol but you get the idea. This was the original plan which was two 125W CFLS but my heat with JUST ONE was over 100 in the box so I tried with one and still had heat issues. I have since removed the batter housing from the top to make room for a scrubber eventually.

Im gonna work in the new exhaust fan ill post some pictures of what I got later :)

2. Hey man. Figured I'd give you a look see since you checked mine out. Looks good so far! You definitely need to get those temps down. You put them in there and it's gonna cook them. An idea for you to try for ventilation is put your vent fan directly above your light bulb, that way the first air pulls out is the heat radiating from the bulb. Keep your intakes as low to the bottom as you can to draw in cooler air. That should lower the temps by about 5-10 degrees I would think? Your room temperature can play a part as well. Also your reflective liner material looks like that insulating bubble wrap stuff. Insulation=heat build up. You can order Mylar off of eBay for dirt cheap. That would help reduce temps as well. Which should also allow a second bulb! I am using 1 6" exhaust fan in my tent with 8 bulbs at the moment and my temps stay steady at 75 degrees. Also the closer you can get your bulb to horizontal over the plants the better. Your utilizing more light from the bulb that way. Looking forward to see what you can come up with.

3. View attachment 129434

First things first :p some p90x !

Alright so I haven't been updating because I kinda lost interest in doing the journal but the grow is going good so far I think. Of the 8 seeds I germed 6 of them sprouted and I chose two to put into soil. I started with Miracle Grow Seed Starter because unfortunately it was the only thing that was available at the time. Here are a few pix :)
    View attachment 129398
    View attachment 129397
    View attachment 129403
    View attachment 129402
    View attachment 129401
    View attachment 129404
    View attachment 129405
    View attachment 129407
    View attachment 129408
    View attachment 129410

As for the heat issue :p weve been blessed with 40 degree weather so ive been able to fit two 150watt CFL Bulbs inside the box and maintain 73 with this bad boy.

View attachment 129396

4. View attachment 129415
    View attachment 129414
    View attachment 129416
    View attachment 129417
    View attachment 129418
    View attachment 129423
    View attachment 129422
    View attachment 129419
    View attachment 129413
    View attachment 129424
    View attachment 129425

So as you can see they were transplanted from there KCup homes into organic Soil with a light dose of blood meal wich I kinda regret doing now because theyre showing some nute burn. We named them Wynona and Ryda ( Wynona being the bigger of the two and int he lighter color pot) Ryder had a tumble due to some curious visitors and had a stem break and has been showing slow but healthy growth.

5. Up up upitty up up uppity up up!