How to get a job in the Marijuana Industry

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by BlazinBuds420, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Hey guys, like many of you have possibly come to learn, you really like smoking. Man how awesome would it be if you could make the marijuana lifestyle your job? I've always wondered this.

What do y'all think it would take (degree wise) to make yourself a formidable opponent in the up and coming marijuana industry?

I myself have some small time growing experience and have read a lot of information on botany and why plants grow the way they do, but how would I make it into say the legal Colorado or Washington retail side of marijuana. Obviously these new retail stores will need suppliers.

Anyone got info on this?

2. Well I mean growing in itself is a lucrative business if done right so some school in cultivation would really be beneficial. It doesn't have to be about marijuana just learn about plants in general

3. IF you are passionate about this focus on a state which has not yet legalized but will soon, and move there. Because of the highly regulated structures the new industry is having to accept residency requirements will be very strict. In other words, states put these requirements in place to stop exactly what you are thinking of doing...moving to thier state to set up a MJ business. A little planning will go a long way, yes legalization will bring in a new era of potential business growth, but states will protect their own and not allow just anyone to move in and benifit from legalization.

4. This makes sense, here in the sunshine state we're on the precipice of MMJ and im here like "the fuh am I doing? I need to be able to break into the industry when the time comes". Ideas? 

5. I like to smoke how I can I make this a job. I can run 1200 watts I my closet, how can i make money off weed. Sorry bro. It ain't happening. You need major cash for permits to grow let alone the money for the space to grow 30-50 thousand dollars. . These retail shops already have warehouses 60000 sq ft 20000 watts of light. They won't need closet joes supply.
    Go to college, get a real job and enjoy smoking weed.

6. I think it's highly unreasonable to be going around discouraging people in the way that he is and so rudely.  The marijuana industry is just getting started and there are alot of people who legitimately want to make marijuana their career.  It's not unreasonable or impossible to want to make marijuana a career.  A lot of people enjoy it and want more than just to smoke it.  Maybe that's what he really wants to do.  Who are you to tell him how to live his life and crush his dreams?  I feel bad for you.

Nobody's stopping the kid from trying, but he's been warned: there's no shortage of people who want to and are able to grow and supply weed. The marijuana industry is not "just getting started" in either state where it's now legal, the landscape is just changing. Medical growers and experienced underground growers aren't such rare breeds around here.

Let's just say it'll be stiff, stiff competition and not a very forgiving market in the long run.

8. Well there's a lot of things to consider and think about.  The legalization in colorado is just getting started is what I meant.  Maybe he won't be growing for pro dispensaries but maybe mom and pop but who wants that?  A lot of jobs have opened up over there and just getting started is a fair term to use generally speaking about the last decade or so.  Maybe he can start working at a dispensary as a trimmer or something like that and work his way up and find his own direction.  There's a lot of different areas not just growing. It's pretty easy to find a job in a legalized state in the cannabis industry.  It's pretty unfair to say that there's no market and you should stop trying.  If someone has goals and dreams why not support them? It's not in our interest to be assholes.

Go for it man there's plenty of areas you just have to open up your mind a bit.  Don't let anyone discourage you from your true dreams.  You can ALWAYS work your way up in any industry from the bottom with time and patience.  It was fairly easy for me to move out to CO, find a job in the cannabis industry within 2 or 3 weeks, and begin supporting myself.  It's definitely possible.

9. Also, my posts are geared toward people of the more 'serious' mindset.

10. I dont want to be selfish so I'll put this out. There is plenty of room for innovation...

11. Because I am someone that works In the industriey so don't feel bad for me. I am telling him and every other 18-24 yr old how it is. If you have to come to GC to figure out how to break into the industry you got no shot.

12. #12 Sgtstadanko707, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
    That where it will be. Being creative coming out with the newest gear and supplies. Trimmers and coop workers are a dime a dozen.

Stuff like this.

http://www.omegagarden.com

13. #14 lunnez, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
    Agreed man...i wouldnt let anybody talk me out of something if im that passionate about it. nuff said. I have the same need cuz thats all i know and love. im in fla and the time is coming... im just worried that fl always goofs thngs up for us. with our luck theyll do it the long way by making it medical but not allowed to grow or some stupidshit that makes us take the long way. Hell i dont even smoke the stuff unless i grew it myself...thats how much i like to grow...i got a 4yr old breeding program for seeds and all!

14. That is exactly what happened in Delaware. No personal grows, and the non profit that gets the SINGLE vendor license up for bid is most likely going to be well connected politically. The application fee alone is enough to deter anyone wanting to get into the biz. And without naming names someone has already invested over half a million in an operation, business plan etc.... All on the hopes of getting the license? Yeah, I'm not buying that. A noon profit simply means they have to pay themselves huge bonuses and make a lot of contributions to get rid of profit..... And yeah, you can donate it to the state, or political campaigns. I'm going to go to Colorado and support a government that listens to their citizens.

15. You could work in other areas within Cannabis other then cultivation too.

16. Theres a couple different ways ways you could grow a few ps and sell to the dispensary but its gotta be the medicine u disnt need like u grew to much for ur collective bbut theyre gunna buy it stupid cheap like 1000-2000 a p or u could start at the bottom as a bud trimmer or u could go to a weed collage like oaksterdam get ur cirtificate of completion and that will give u more crdibility when u go to get a job at a dispensary plenty was to get in it just takes time u cant just say one day im gunna grow for a dispensary ya feel me? U gotta have all the permits and licencing before u can even step thru the door but if ur down to work ur ass off and all about ur grind u can work ur way to the top where u own the dispensary or the 60,000 sq ft grow warehouse

Sent From Pluto

17. But down here in fl its gunna be alil harder since mmj is just gunna be starting and its gunna be mad expensive to get ur liscences to

Sent From Pluto

18. [quote name="Sgtstadanko707" post="19330726" timestamp="1389591812"]I like to smoke how I can I make this a job. I can run 1200 watts I my closet, how can i make money off weed. Sorry bro. It ain't happening. You need major cash for permits to grow let alone the money for the space to grow 30-50 thousand dollars. . These retail shops already have warehouses 60000 sq ft 20000 watts of light. They won't need closet joes supply. Go to college, get a real job and enjoy smoking weed.[/quote]I am unaware of any high costs associated with medical marijuana. Perhaps it is expensive in Colorado but in California it was $110.00 for a year. That was a license for 99 plants in Lake County. Not many people I met that grew up there had any interest in a license anyway. He'll, the police here in Loveland Ohio could care less about making marijuana arrests. They are interested in truly dangerous drugs. Alcohol, cocaine and the opiates make marijuana seem angelic. It sure helps me out I know that much. I agree though. Taking off for Colorado to make it big in the weed business may not be the surest road to wealth and happiness. Like you said "go to college etc.....Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

19. "Go to college" is such bad advise.

There is so much more than just going to college.

I just "went to college" and just "got a degree" and now I'm fucked. But you don't know that when you are 17 years old starting college. Fix public education! haha