400 Watt MH/HPS, DWC, Scrog

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by ddice502, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Current Conditions 
    Lights 20/4 400W MH
    Light Distance around 20"
    Temp Current 82 degrees
    Temp Min 70 degrees
    Temp Max 84 degrees 
    Humidity Current 30%
    Humidity High 43%
    Humidity Low 30%
    Starting PPM 312 PPM
    Ending PPM 324 PPM
    Starting pH 6.0pH
    Ending pH 6.0 pH
    Water added None
    Nutrients added None added
    \nRoots are coming in! Excited to see that every time I check the roots have gotten longer and multiplied. 
    The plant seems to be working on growing a 3rd set of leaves. Hopefully once I get back home tonight I will see it has grown more. 
    \nOn Friday I plan to move to 5 gallon DWC buckets. With this change I am also going to adding in a nutrient mix. I will probably start it off with 25% of what they are recommending with my Fox Farms nutes. Also I'll be getting a liquid thermometer. I believe I'm staying around 68 degrees in the res but nothing is official until you see it with your own eyes.
    \nOn an unrelated topic:
    \nI'll be placing an order for seeds soon as well. Anyone know of any good deals going on?
    \n\n 2013-11-06 06.41.00.jpg
    I'd say there are around 10 root hairs that we are unable to see right now. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have better pics of them.
    \n 2013-11-05 17.59.41.jpg
    2013-11-05 06.39.47.jpg

2. Think I need to bring up my levels instead of bring them down. And there was no chance. The way it looked it seemed to have happened hours before I saw it and looked to have no life in it at all. Once I was brave enough to pick it up it felt very brittle

3. Current Conditions 
    Lights 20/4 400W MH
    Temp Current 82 degrees
    Temp Min 70 degrees
    Temp Max 84 degrees 
    Humidity Current 35%
    Humidity High 45%
    Humidity Low 30%
    Starting PPM 312 PPM
    Ending PPM 
    Starting pH 6.0pH
    Ending pH 
    Water added None
    Nutrients added None added
    \n 2013-11-07 16.24.45.jpg
    My notes.
    \n 2013-11-07 16.22.51.jpg
    \n 2013-11-07 07.18.20.jpg
    \nWell tomorrow is the day. Gonna switch it to a 5 gallon bucket. Also she's getting her first dose of nutes. Wish us luck.

4. Hey everyone. Today when I opened my tent I noticed that the leaves are curling up. No browning or anything else. What I have read shows that it's an indicator of the light being too close. I backed the light off about 4 inches.

Any other advice?

5. Current Conditions 
    Lights 20/4 400W MH
    Temp Current 84 degrees
    Temp Min 72 degrees
    Temp Max 84 degrees 
    Humidity Current 32%
    Humidity High 45%
    Humidity Low 30%
    Starting PPM  735 PPM
    Ending PPM 
    Starting pH 6.0pH
    Ending pH 
    Water added None
    Nutrients added 20% Nutes
    \n\nPlants are still cupping. Plant seem to look happy in its new home.
    \nStarted germing a Bubba Kush seed and AK Automatic seed. I'll keep you posted.
    \n\n 2013-11-08 14.07.14.jpg
    2013-11-08 19.07.01.jpg
    2013-11-08 19.08.04.jpg

6. Looks like moisture deficiency.
    Based on your system and stats, the low humidity would be of most interest (60-70% being ideal).
    Your room is probably spending most of it's time at the high end of your temperature range (which is alright), and the low end of your rHumidity range, which is well off ideal.
    Low humidity has been a constant for you this grow.

Most ppl would check for this by looking at the plants at the start and end of the light cycle. If they are flatter in the 'morning' and canoe as the 'day' progresses, it's almost certainly low humidity.
    However, in your case even during the night cycle your rH is less than ideal, and your 4hr night cycle might not be enough time for the leaves to 'recover' from desiccation.

Reducing airflow across the leaves:
    This will reduce desiccation, but has the side effect of reducing air refreshment and the stalk strengthening effect of movement.

Reducing light intensity:
    Either by backing off the light, or downgrading your lamp. Nobody wants to do that, It's a last resort.

Reducing light duration:
    Most ppl run 18/6 during veg without any problems. 2 hours doesn't sound like a big difference, but this would give your leaves 50% more time to recover. 

Misting your leaves:
    A good response, but you can't do this while the light is on or you'll risk refraction burns.

Introducing a moisture source to the environment:
    Putting a wet sponge etc in front of your fan could make the difference. Just make sure you disinfect it regularly or you could develop a mold issue.

Adding a humidifier:
    Obviously the ideal solution. But some can produce a lot of heat which you don't want any more of. And make sure it doesn't sputter water droplets onto your leaves, or you've got a refraction burn issue.

I suggest you drop to an 18/6 cycle (if leaf desiccation is the issue, then you are losing growth from that 20/4 rather than gaining).
    Mist the leaves just before and after the 'lights on' period, and place a damp sponge in front of the fan.
    The plants should tell you pretty quickly if you're on the right track.

*Remember that I'm relatively inexperienced also. My advise is based on research more than experience.

7. OK I got the humidity to hold stead at around 40% normally when it drops to 20% Do you think 40% constantly would help? All I did was add a damp towel in the room by the fan. I'm also going to begin misting the grow box. I have also switched to a 18/6 light cycle. Hopefully when they wake up I will see some improvement

Thank you so much for your advice and delivering it in a way that is useful to me. I look forward to more of your input.

8. Hope that'll sort it out for ya.
    Come flowering time that low humidity is going to work to your advantage.

While you're trying to drag your rH up from the basement, I'm trying to pull mine down from the clouds!

9. Current Conditions 
    Lights 18/6 400W MH
    Temp Current 74 degrees
    Temp Min 70 degrees
    Temp Max 79 degrees 
    Humidity Current 32%
    Humidity High 41%
    Humidity Low 31%
    Starting PPM  808 PPM
    Ending PPM 845
    Starting pH 6.0pH
    Ending pH 
    Water added None
    Nutrients added 20% Nutes
    \nI'll upload pictures withing the hour.
    \nAs the ladies woke up I noticed the curling has reduced.  Plant growth seems to be doing good as well. The water temp was 68 degrees. Should stay around there. I haven't added ice to it or chilled it in any way yet. Hopefully it stays that way.
    \nNoticed some nute burn 2 days ago. Seems to have halted. No more was noticed today.

I just put a AK Automatic seed into Rockwool. I'll post info on that as soon as anything significant is worth saying.

Keep the advice and communication coming. Hopefully soon I'll be able to upgrade some things and getting my carbon filter and a humidifier in 2 weeks. By that time I hope to be flowering

10. As promised. 1384128533225.jpg
    1384128509879.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. All stats are pretty much the same as last update. Got some foliage growth. Everything is starting to come together.

One concern is that the roots are doubling up over each other. Will that cause an issue. Can/should anything be done about it?

1384302098309.jpg

1384302120979.jpg

12. Can't help ya on the roots, I'm clueless about DWC.

That canoeing issue is resolved?

13. The canoeing is pretty much gone. After I made the light switch to 18/6 and now that the humidity stays at at least 30% everything settled.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's the bagseed or the Northern Lights Auto. Guess I will learn soon. It's around Day 13 so it'll show itself soon if it's auto.

14. Hey guys!! Little help. Seems like my lady is starting to get pretty bushy. Should I pull the light further back in an attempt to make her stretch some?

15. Since when is bushy a bad thing? Is it bikini season already?
    Tight nodes are the indoor grower's friend.
    If there is some problem upload a pic,
    otherwise beam with paternal pride!

16. Was just thinking maybe encouraging some height. I'll let it chill for now.

Update soon!

17. Sorry. This update won't be as pretty as usual. Computer is occupied with something else.

Humidity is hovering around 38% on average.

Temps stay around 78 degrees.

Water temp is excellent. Staying around 66 degrees.

Think im gonna lower the ppm tonight. It was way too high to start. It's starting to show in the leaves and I don't need that.

Roots keep on coming and getting longer. They're becoming tangled in themselves.

Ordering some more seeds next week. Attitudes has some cool deals going on now.

Here's some pic.

1384479081963.jpg
    All the stats.
    1384479094528.jpg
    Some nute burn.
    1384479106567.jpg

1384479119021.jpg

1384479129678.jpg

18. So there's some noticeable nute burn on a few leaves. Did a res change. PPM are down to 375. Babe's just woke up.

Here's some pics.

1384640107760.jpg

1384640130307.jpg

1384640141338.jpg

1384640157906.jpg

19. #39 GoldGrower, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
    your nutrient strength was way too high man, I'm guessing still a bit too high. if your ppm rises it means the plants are using up more water and less solids than what you have in the solution. try to keep the water/solids ratio the same as what the plants are currently using

Test the solution every day and write it down.
    If the figure is rising, then the solution is too strong so add more water.
    If the figure is falling, then the solution is too weak so add more nutrients.

20. Today the PPM are around 400. Should I bring them down lower? They were originally set to around 360PPM. After correcting my pH it seems to be rising every day.