THC is Sticky for a Reason (or cannabis uses thc because its sticky)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by tomahawk446, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Hey guys! The only thing I love more than cannabis is science. Before I start to bore you with science let me fill you in on this grow, my second grow; I'm currently growing/flowering topped GHS SuperCritical and The Church in 7 gallon pots feeding with Miracle Grow Bloom Booster (15-30-15) under a 400W HPS in a 3'x20"x5' grow tent. In case anyone's wondering, 400 watts has proven to be wonderful for two plants, 7 gallons is plenty (even a little too much) of soil for roots to wiggle, and the seeds have been easy as hell to grow. I've never had nutrient burn, and my only mistake was that I wish the tent was wider, 20" of width can suck my buds. You may have noticed that Miracle Grow Bloom booster is a high Nitrogen fertilizer which sucks for flowering. What I did to compensate was I used large pots so I rely less on fertilizer than if I was using a smaller pot, and stopped fertilizing after the stretch was over in both grows (I know it'll sacrifice yield but I want good taste more than anything!) and everything has been wonderful. I also notice that after topping, the nodes growing from the bottom seem to be more resony than the nodes growing from the top.

Now to the science!! 

I've been so excited about my two babies, so I've been constantly obsessing over them and how high they'll get me. About 4 weeks in and sticky, THC laden crystals are forming. I hope everyone here has googled why cannabis produces THC and probably found that most answers are shitty and have no scientific backing and involve THC being "a defense mechanism." I always thought "a defense mechanism against what? Animals eating the plants and getting high as fuck?" It is also important to know that cannabis is a weed, and as a species has put its main method of survival in reproducing as fast as possible. Speaking of reproducing, cannabis has very light pollen and relies on the wind for pollination.

Now let's think for a second. 

A lot of growers have noticed that THC/resin production increases 1. with a light breeze and 2. in cannabis with no seeds. THC/Resin is sticky as hell. A lot of growers also notice that the cannabis that is strongest is on the top of the bud, hence "headies". My hypothesis is that a cannabis plant uses sticky resin to catch pollen, allowing it to be basically shaken off eventually and caught by a calyx. Think about it this way, little mister pollen is floating in the wind, floats by a cannabis leaf with no resin, then gets caught on a cannabis leaf with resin and is eventually shaken off into the calyx for reproduction. Which plant passes on its genes? Furthermore, I believe that the headies of the cannabis plant have more resin simply because they have the best light coverage. I believe that if all parts of the plant had the same light coverage, the buds on the bottom would have a high THC content because they would need more sticky assistance than the top. Finally, I believe that if literally one particle of pollen from a male plant were introduced, shocking the plant into thinking there's dick nearby, the plant would try and produce as much resin as possible to try and catch every possible piece. Thus making for some sticky, dank bud. So to recap, I hypothesize that: sticky resin is used to catch pollen, a plant will produce as much resin as light allows but would prefer to produce resin on the lower branches because they have less of a chance to get pollinated on their own, and that (maybe) shocking a plant into producing a minimum amount of seeds will grow more potent bud than a plant that never pollinates ever.

I can't wait to experiment with these hypothesis. I wish cannabis didn't take 3 months to grow! AGH!!

2. #2 IFarmSuperWeed, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2013
    I'm too lazy so I didn't read.

But I love the science behind weed as well. The only reason I ace the plant part in my Bio papers is because of my love for weed

3. @[member="IFarmSuperWeed"] drugs are the only reason I like chemistry! 

tl;dr cannabis is wind-propogated, therefore I hypothesize that: sticky resin is used and produced to catch pollen not as a defense mechanism (I hated that fucking explanation),  a plant will produce as much resin as light allows but would prefer to produce resin on the lower branches because they have less of a chance to get pollinated  on their own, and that (maybe) shocking a plant into producing a minimum amount of seeds will grow more potent bud than a plant that never pollinates ever.

4. there are many theories...its hard to pinpoint a single reason why cannabis produces thc.

-to prevent itself from drying out (growers reduce humidity to increase)

-as a deterrent to bugs (i doubt that...bugs ive encountered love getting stoned and eating foliage)

-Your pollen theory..... (why would it produce more THC because it senses pollen nearby?..the plants goal IS to find pollen...so it will do this regardless of pollen presence

-wind...(to prevent itself from drying out)

-More light...this affects the growth of everything.

many other factors..ofcourse

the plant produces THC for a variety of reasons, imo

5. it makes THC so we can get high.

duh.

(sarcasm)

6. What science? You dismiss vague references to existing science and put forth your own theory.

7. Your a fuckin dumbass. Haha thc isnt a defense mechanism? Really?
    THC and the other cannabinoids have quite a few protective qualities. They have antibiotic and anti-fungal properties as well. The physical quality of the resin and its placement in glands protruding from the leaf and flower tissue acts as flypaper, capturing some small pests in its stickiness. The cannabinoids have a profound affect on birds and mammals that might eat the substances, producing an intoxication that they may not find pleasant.
    Although they are not cannabinoids, marijuana's odor-causing substances, mono and di-terpenes, also provide marijuana with protection from predators. Some animals find its odor repulsive or learn to associate it with an unpleasant experience.
    The quality that you describe ? protecting the plant and the developing seeds from UV light ? is also true, and may be helpful to the plant. In a controlled experiment, high quality marijuana plants were grown under identical conditions, except that some were provided with UV light while others didn't receive it. The buds from plants receiving the UVB light had higher percentages of THC. This is an indication that the plant is using it as a protectant.

name calling has no place within the city, please make your point without doing so. - YODA

8. You're* not very bright either...

9. haha ok... whatever u want to think about someone u dont even know. Im gonna smoke some of my copious amounts of herbs I cropped out this year and forget about ur ignorance.

Okay, first calling me a fuckin dumbass was cool. Anyway. I didn't say that resin didn't have other useful properties, it's hydrophobic so it repels water to an extent, it's optically active so it reflects certain spectrums of light to an extent, but almost all biological compounds would work if this was why it produced resin. I'd love to point out that people get budrot and mold like fuck, and small pests eat the shit out of cannabis. Also, nothing gets intoxicated from eating raw cannabis, since it's mainly THCA, which isn't psychoactive. Which is why deer fucking love it and don't trip balls when they eat a plant. Furthermore, most compounds are optically active, since most biological compounds are chiral (you know what chiral is right.) All ingredients in resin, including the terpenes and cannabinoids, are optically active, and reflect light.

Your ignorance is actually the point of this topic. I would hope cannabis would show you that one compound can have many uses, but far more compounds are chiral and nonpolar than are viscous. Furthermore, seeds are far more important to the cannabis plant than producing resin is, as seen in sinsemilla. This, to me, shows that the plant values reproduction more than anything. Which makes sense biologically, since basically every interesting trait a species has can be linked to reproduction, so I don't see why cannabis would be different.

11. It's cute, you seem butthurt. I was trying to promote discussion, all you've done is disappointed me and proved my point that people who grow pot think they're a lot smarter than they really are just because they've managed to get some seeds out of the soil. 

12. so what do you think would happen if you brought a male into the room, saaayy
    2 weeks before flowering was done and its ready to chop down??

13. Its whole point is to reproduce like anything that lives yes... that being said the swollen calyxes of a cannabis plant that is seeded is usin the trichomes to protect its children from uvb light and pests. But if it never gets pollinated then those swollen calyxes swell with resin rather then a seed and the reason properly grown outdoor is better then any indoor. No lighting combo that is artificial will produce the type of thc and cbd conent that is as complete as what comes from the sun.

14. #14 RichardDean, Oct 24, 2013
    ur mistaken lol not butthurt at all brutha nothing wrong with healthy debate and discussion nothing personal at all. Sorry if I came off harsh kinda a few drinks in celebrating the end of the season. Definitely done lot more then just push seedsout of soil the past 12 years of my grow career.

15. Ur right about the bugs and pests. The pest deterrent theory isnt very solid.

So what does thc being CHIRAL have anything to do with anything here?
    Does it make your thc more sticky and resinous?
    Many polymers are chiral, inorganic organic whatever...its got nothing to do with why the plant produces thc, or why its sticky.
    Explain...im interested in seeing if you actually have a reasonable answer for this.

16. #16 CL4P-TP, Oct 24, 2013
  17. you obviously have never seen me before my first rip...........

"oh god, ohhh god.......!!!! I know ! I know... I've got to take a leak, but let me get one more bong hit before getting out of bed...."