Fumed glass and color-changing glass question

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by guest30011140, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Firstly, if the answer is obviously feel free to direct to the correct pinned article. And sorry in advance.

Otherwise, especially when at a smoke shop, how can you tell if the glass piece is fumed? If it is fumed, that means it changes colors as it is smoked - right?

Is fumed glass different than color-changing glass? Explain. (exams haha)

And feel free to explain anything else closely related to these questions that might help me out while I'm shopping.

Thanks GC

2. #2 *guest, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    Fumed glass is the same as color-changing glass. 

The colors on fumed glass will look more translucent than regular colored glass, for example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ The arrows on that one point to the fuming, while the rest (like the orange and red) is normal colored glass.

What happens is they heat silver or gold and color the glass with the fumes, which creates a sort of colored sheen on the glass that becomes a lot more apparent against a dark background. So the more you smoke out of and the more resin builds up inside, the more the colors will standout. 

There's an old "before and after" thread here with a few examples, this one for instance:

[​IMG]

When you clean it, it will go back to normal and you can start the process all over again. :D

EDIT: Also, any decent head shop will have a black pad to hold the piece against which (since it's a dark background) will give you a little bit of an idea what it will look like when it's filled with resin. 

3. Thanks for this response! It was very helpful. Hopefully I'll get it right when I grab one today.

4. That post was money. You can go ahead and sticky that shit

5. I always thought the gold fume turns blueish and silver yellow or vice versa when heated?

From my experience that is what happened. It was clear that the color definitely changed when I washed my pieces.

silver generally  starts yellowish and turns blue

gold introduces pinks and reds. Most of the time its either just silver, or a mixture of silver and gold, not just gold.

Doesn't have anything to do with being heated ( except while its being made). Its all about giving it a black background with the resin.

7. I have a question about this chillum I bought today. I asked the dude at the shop about the fumed glass and he said they are getting harder to find because making them is unhealthy for the blowers or something of that nature. What's up?

8. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. Thanks for sharing

Nah they're still readily available, lots of people are doing a lot of crazy stuff with fume.

Fuming can be hazardous to the blower's health but the general consensus is that as long as they have adequate ventilation they'll be ok. You should have ventilation when you're blowing glass regardless, so its really not that big of an issue.

I'm thinking he might have been covering his ass for one reason or another. Now I'm thinking the chillum I ended up with is actually fumed anyways so it's all good anyways.