Pakalolo does it this way

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Pakalolo, Oct 19, 2013.

1. All I can say is WOW. I transplanted this Pitbull clone into my first soil mix just 2 days ago and it is exploding. For a comparison, go back to November 16th post and look at Pitbull 1. Then look at this:

View attachment 128636

If this doesn't convince you to give up the bottles then you're just being a lazy grower like I was for all those years. I can only imagine how good of smoke this will be.

2. Impressive progress, Pakalolo! Obviously she is loving the soil  :) I hope your other clones and the baby are doing great too!

3. The Pitbull clone took off so well that I decided I could move my other clones from 1 gallon pots to 2 gallon pots using my soil mix. This is the first soil mix I did. I talked about it before but as a reminder this soil mix was ProMix, lawn compost and EWC for the base. I gave it kelp, neem seed, alfalfa, organic fertilizer, crab, azomite and granite rock dust. I moistened it with water. The first week when I turned it I moistened it some more with ACT.

View attachment 129088

So the clones that I have been LST'ing (see above) are now in my soil without any bottled nutrients ever applied. They're coming along nicely. I've got Chemdawg, OG Kush, Pineapple Express, Trainwreck 1 and Trainwreck 2.

This is the later clones I got from my friend and they are Mildred and Pitbull. If you check out the one in the lower left it isn't a clone but my MM 1+2 X MTV from a seed. It is really looking good too. I didn't put it in the soil mix but I did top dress with neem cake and EWC.

View attachment 129087

4. Tomorrow I'm going to start working on my veg area. I was going to do it today but I had to replace my mogul socket formy 400W MH that I bought back in the 80's. I guess it doesn't last forever. I think I could have repaired the original socket but with almost 30 years I figured it was best to go with new.

5. Last night I went over to my friend that use to give me finished plants back in the 80's. He is growing some plants and left for 2 weeks so I'm taking care of them. That is where I got the Mildred and Pitbull clones. Because the clones had PM I figured his plants did too. So I took over my need seed, kelp, aloe vera and ProTeKt brew and sprayed them down till they were dripping. I'm going to have to lollipop them so I can get better control of the PM.

I also brewed up some ACT and watered them with it. He started using some chemical fertilizer during veg but ended up burning them. So he hasn't used any chemical fertilizer since then. They are about 3 weeks into flowering. I'm going to have him just use compost teas and forget the chemicals. My Trainwreck was grown this way and it just keeps pushing up new flowers.

I noticed yesterday that one of the Chocolope clones is showing roots. So I'm hoping that it will take. I'll be so glad when I finally have all the clones under my total control. The clones from my old growing buddy were already hacked up for his shipping back to Hawaii. The clones I got from my 80's friend had both mites and PM. All my clones now are clean of mites, fungus gnats and PM. It will be nice when I clone these plants. I have such variety right now: Chemdawg, 2 types of Trainwreck, Mildred, Pineapple Express, OG Kush and Pitbull with a maybe on Chocolope. In a few months I'm going to be flowering all of them.

I had another grower offer me some Space Needle clones but I just don't have room for them. I can only grow so much because it is for my personal use. I just don't smoke it up like I use to. I use to go through about an ounce a week but now an ounce will last me a month. I have to be careful not to exceed what I'm legally allowed to grow and have on hand. I guess that isn't such a bad situation to be in.

6. So I took some more pictures. This is the last one of the freebies my old grow buddy gave me. I've posted pictures before of her and I have some clones. This is Trainwreck 2 at 10 weeks into flowering. I decided at 8 weeks I won't harvest her until she showed signs of wearing out. As you can see she just keeps putting out, flowers that is. I've been watering her with a tea of alfalfa (just some left over dust), kelp and neem seed. Too much alfalfa at this stage would encourage veg grow. I don't know how much longer my will to not cut her down can last. She looks to be tempting me or is she teasing me. I'm just confused.

View attachment 129125

This is the Pitbull clone that I transplanted 5 days ago into a 1 gallon pot using my 3 week 'cooked' soil. It is definitely taking off. It may over take my older clones that were started in just plain old ProMix.

View attachment 129124

Finally my pride and joy, MM 1+2 x MTV from the old days. This is a strain that my old grow buddy developed while most pot smokers at the time were still buying that Mexican rag weed. He taught himself about genetics and plant breeding by hanging out at the university library. He is by far the most knowledgeable person on marijuana breeding that I know. He'll be very pleased when I tell him about this plant. I have to talk to him in person. He is still so secretive, so far underground with his growing that all talking about marijuana is face to face. The old picture of me and his cousin in the sativa field was taken by him. There was no way he would ever have his picture taken. I learned to be secretive from him. He was the master at it.

View attachment 129123

7. Congratulations on The Baby going strong, Pakalolo :D That's an excellent looking plant for a seed being in storage that long. I'll keep my fingers crossed for her being a "she" :)

Yeah, I loved that picture in the ganja field! It just smelled like freedom and great time right through the PC screen...

I'm watching your lacto rice experiment, never done it yet but definitely want to, so please post the progress when you have it :)

I'm going to take the next step on the lacto experiment when I get home from work today. I'll write up what I did.

If the Baby turns out to be a male I'm going to breed him to an indica plant. Then I'll have more beans to choose from. I'm really looking for a good outdoor strain. I still have 100's of the MM 1+2 x MTV and another strain named Like MTV. I'm going to keep trying to pop them until they run out or I get some to pop.

Here's another look at the field from a different angle.

View attachment 127176

And a shot of the plants being cut and stacked

View attachment 127175

9. Wow, what a nice field! Such a good camo around too. And look at those tree trunks, super cool :D

10. #50 Pakalolo, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
    Actually it was my grow buddy's field, not mine. I never was into the commercial side of things. My goal since the late 60's was to have a reliable source of quality marijuana. Back in the days you didn't buy it by the gram (or parts of an ounce). You bought a lid that usually was around an ounce of stem, leaf and seeds. I would pick the stems out, crush the leaf up and use a shoe box top and a playing card to separate the leaf from the seed.

If you bought in bulk then you bought kilos. These weren't 2.2 lbs of marijuana but just a 'brick' of marijuana wrapped up in construction paper. The Mexicans just took the whole plants and folded them and compacted them into these 'bricks' so the weight varied a lot.

The quality varied just as much and was no where near what is being grown today. That's why I hung with my friend. He liked to be on the production side of things and I liked to have quality marijuana at no cost to me. I would just help out occasionally if he needed it. I left for graduate school in California in the middle 70's and didn't get back into growing until the late 80's. I did keep in touch with my buddy to this day. He gave me the plants I just finished after he took cuttings off them. He is waiting on my opinion of the Trainwreck 1 and 2 he gave me. I'm still one of his main quality assurance testers. After partaking in marijuana for almost 45 years I know the difference between good smoke and not so good smoke. Sad to say that most of the growers around here don't grow top quality marijuana. It's good, just not top quality. It takes some very good marijuana to couch lock me.

11. I have a feeling you'll be really surprised with the quality of your own organically grown herb. Besides the ease of growing and obvious health benefits, the flavor and taste just can't be beat in my opinion. Especially if you grow the strains you are well familiar with, you'll certainly see the difference. 

I wish I had your tolerance  :smoking: Still smoking a joint I rolled before yesterday, couple of puffs is all I can afford now and then without jeopardizing plans for the rest of the day  :)

I've been in training since the late 60's. From 67-68 all I smoked was hash from Amsterdam. I got Afgani, Moroccan and Lebanese. Some of it came with stamps on it. I could buy about $40 worth and it would last me all month. I stayed totally high the whole time I was in Germany. It was the only way I could stand being there. I really didn't like the Army.

About the only time I quit was when I was a fireman and my kids were entering school. I just didn't think I would set a good example being the total stoner I was. I remember when I got my hair cut off for the first day on the fire department. My 6 year old daughter said to me when I came home from the barber shop, "That's a wig, huh, daddy?".

But you also need to remember the marijuana I grew was and is still very potent. I've been very fortunate of not really having much trouble growing this herb. I have had problems with mites but that was due to my laziness more than anything. Once the kids left home I started growing marijuana again. This was in the 80's.

13. I got home from work all set to move to the second step with my lacto bacilli culture. I went to the cellar to check on the teenagers and found my 400W MH lamp was off. I've been having trouble with it so I replaced the mogul socket. This worked for 2 days but today the ballast was humming but the light wasn't on. I guess almost 30 years of faithful service isn't too bad.

View attachment 129208

I'm thinking the capacitor is burnt out so I'll try and replace it later. There isn't much inside but the capacitor and transformer. I'll get a picture of it when I take it apart.

So I went out and bought an electronic ballast. I'm betting it won't last anywhere near as long as the 80's ballast.

I also have to go over to my friends house and water his plants. He doesn't know it yet but I'm turning them into organic grow. He added too much fertilizer during veg and burned them. I told him to back off the fertilizer and he hasn't added any since. So I gave them a watering of ACT and today I'm top dressing with neem cake and EWC. I'm going to follow this up with alfalfa, need seed and kelp tea.

I'm going to lollipop his girls to reduce the amount of foliage because he is having a problem with PM. Tonight will be the second spraying with my neem, kelp, aloe vera and ProTeKt brew.

I'll take some pictures of these girls. I think that they're in the 2 or 3 flowering week.

Finally I'm taking a road trip to Yelm Worm Farm tomorrow and getting me some quality EWC. It will be a busy 24 hours coming up for this dude.

14. That Yelm Worm Farm has some pretty decent potting soil too, I googled  ;) Coco based and with some good amendments. I'd need to leave my wallet home for that kind of trip, only taking a couple of bills with me  :p

Hey, how long do you store your brews for? I try to use mine in the first day or two usually and then toss them. I remember reading somewhere that they break down more while being stored and become more acidic.

I've only been using teas for about 2 months. The ACT I use immediately when I pull the air stones out. The need seed, kelp, aloe vera and ProTeKt I've had for about a week. So I just smell it and it still smells awful but the same awful as before. I've got a pH meter so I'll check it out later today and let you know where it is at.

I'm just learning about the teas so I will need to get some experience with them.So far they seem to be working okay. Up to this point I've been pouring them out on my compost pile. I kept the alfalfa, kelp and neem seed brew bubbling for about a week. I've been using it on the Trainwreck 2 to see what would happen. As I said that girl just keeps putting out flowers. I used up the last 2 1/2 gallons on my friends plants. I took pictures but he's running 220V 1000W MH and I hate the red stripes through the picture. I'm going over early on Sunday and get some pictures before the lights come on. He runs from 6:00pm - 6:00am.

I sprayed his plants down again last night. The PM is definitely coming under control. One of the plants had mites so on Sunday I'm going to mix it up for the mites and bring in some spinosad spray.

I haven't been to the Yelm Worm Farm before so I'm looking forward to it. I did buy 2 bags of their EWC from a local nursery but it was the last 2 bags. I'm going to get 3 bags this time and maybe a pound of worms. I've already got around 1000 worms in my bin but I need more.

Last night I did find time to move to step 2 of the lacto bacilli culture. I took only 1/2 cup of the rice wash. It had a smell to it so something was happening. I then added 5 cups of milk. You need to add milk 10 : 1 ratio. I put it back in the furnace room and will check on it on Wednesday.

I also have a EM-1 brew going and it should be ready today. I'm thinking about adding it to my soil mix that is still cooking and not the one that I am using.

Today will be a busy day.

The neem seed, kelp, aloe vera and ProTeKt is acidic at 5.5 pH. My next brew I will see where it's at when I pull out the air stones. So I don't know if it has gotten more acidic or not.

17. #57 Just_X, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    Heya Pakalolo , been a minute since talking to you. I'm fairly new to brewing the teas also.

So far have found out that keeping it simple is best.

Just bubbling some compost or EWC works fine.  add a tbsp. of blackstrap molasses to feed the microbes.

just what I've taken from reading about them is:

on brew times.......24hrs=bacterial tea

48hrs and it's more fungal.

getrdun

edit: just in case you missed this thread

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1110985-act-aerated-compost-tea.html

18. Hey X,

Thanks for the link and information from your experience. I've been to Microbe Organics and was familiar with the ACT thread. Plus all the mentions within the threads I've read. I actually feel comfortable with the brewing of ACT. I sent away for an aquarium heater so that I can brew at the ideal temperature. I do remember about the 24 = bacterial and 48 = fungal but I don't have a microscope to check. I'm probably not going to purchase one either. To me, ACT is the most important tea for me to master. Living soil needs the bacteria and fungus for it to be productive.

What I'm still trying to understand is all the other 'teas' that you can do with meals and as PinkieR pointed out how long can I keep them before I have to throw them out. I never keep the ACT. I use it immediately and pour any leftovers into the compost pile.

I've gathered a lot of links to information that I read in order to revisit and organize into a nice reference document. I've started on it and have about 6 unorganized pages so far.

I really appreciate your input. It makes this journey more exciting when we all share our knowledge and experience.

19. Speaking of experiences I just got back from the Yelm Worm Farm. I bought 3 bags of their EWC and 1 bag of GAIA rock dust plus a pound of worms. It cost me about $10 more than what I had to pay for 2 bags at a local nursery. So the trip was worth it.

They have a lot of amendments for sale besides what I got. I'm going to follow X's suggestion to keep it simple and I've got kelp, neem seed, alfalfa, azomite, crab and organic fertilizer on hand plus the rock dust. So I'll be mixing up another 2 cubic feet of soil using my no ProMix recipe.

I talked to the owner a bit and reinforced some of my understanding about worms and vermicompost. He also said that these casings have some of the most diverse microbes and fungus. At least he said someone in eastern Washington tried many and under the microscope his EWC was the most productive.

So I got home and top dressed all my 2 gallon transplants with EWC. I also moved a Chocolope clone to a 1 gallon pot. It got a top dressing of neem cake and EWC.

20. So much great info on this post.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app