Israeli state beefs up efforts to counter the growing Boycott Israel campaigns

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SmokinP, Oct 18, 2013.

1. #1 SmokinP, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Protesters in Ireland call for a boycott of Israel following Israeli bombing of Gaza.

The BDS (boycott, divestment campaigns) being waged against Israel are really starting to get the Israeli government's knickers in a twist.

The BDS campaigns being waged against the Israeli state have been hugely successful and the proof of the pudding is in the efforts the Israeli state is now having to take to counter the growing support that the campaigns are getting.

http://www.haaretz.com/weekend/jerusalem-babylon/.premium-1.553086#

View the timeline that charts the success of the BDS campaign here -> http://www.bdsmovement.net/timeline

2. #2 J-DILLA, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    Has the BDS movement actually done something other than include a bunch of left wing liberals to stand on street corners waving signs?

EDIT: The Haaretz article is behind a paywall.

3. As with the case of most protesters its unnoticed and filtered in ones head much like spam in your email. Anyone remember the Occupy Movement? McDonalds/Walmart protesters? *Yawn* they disappeared without anyone even wondering where they went. 

Theres a abortion clinic not to far from where I live. I think for at least 20 years they have protested there everyday. Place is still open, laws remain unchanged. 

I always wonder if these people work. Must be a nice job to protest for days on end. 

Liberal Arts students are largely unemployed :laughing:

Generally the case or they were paid to do it. Made the news that many of the Walmart protesters were paid actors. When one has bills, a family etc theres no real time or ability to go out and protest. Liberals never learn though. They believe the world is gripping there chairs sitting on the end of the seat like a thriller. 

When Egypt was protesting in mass. I flipped the channel got tired of it and Duck Dynasty was on haha. 

Register sweety, its free...

If you or anyone else wants to see the extent of the success that the BDS campaign has been then click the link  below and see...
    http://www.bdsmovement.net/timeline

7. Yes, I read that link. 

Do you know if any of those campaigns have had an actual effect on Israeli companies? Or have they simply gone on and found other customers?

Any loss of business is loss of revenue J. I am not privy to the financial dealings of each and every Israeli company that have lost contracts because of pressure brought about by the BDS campaigns.

9. #10 Powerwiz, Oct 18, 2013

Statistically speaking boycotts rarely do anything just like embargo's never really punish the intended groups. Look at NK decades of crippling embargoes. There new leader is very plump for a impoverished person. 

Finding out if that had a impact is easy. All publicly traded companies have to post financial data. 

I doubt they have missed a beat. We all know that Apple uses virtual slave labor. 100% of its product line is made by workers who work 60-80 hours a week making less then 200 bucks and they sleep where they work locked in a tripled razor wire compound..Foxx Conn. 

Do we care no? We all line up to buy there product. Generally for most of humanity if you cant see it, feel it it really does not exist. 

Africans starve in mass..they are right now. Oh well. I cant do anything about it. 

10. Like this?:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4421818,00.html
    Norway's oil fund Renews Investment in Israel firms

That was after their boycott of Norwegian funds in Israeli companies.....

Let's face it, the BDS movement is simply symbolic. Israel's innovation is too valuable to pass off.

11. #12 J-DILLA, Oct 18, 2013
    Nk's leader is the world's largest consumer of Hennessy :laughing:  despite being faced with massive sanctions.

Boycotts are useless.

Ironically, I have personally seen many BDS'ers owning products made partially with Israeli brains ( OS's , Iphone's , etc.)

12. #13 SmokinP, Oct 18, 2013

Look at South Africa.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Apartheid_Movement

The boycott campaigns were running long before the governments of the world woke up to the apartheid that was being inflicted on non whites there.

Whilst opinion is yet to really change in the US, in most of the rest of the world Israel is viewed as a pariah state now and its citizens are person non gratis.

13. #14 J-DILLA, Oct 18, 2013
    According to whom? Muslim countries who have yet to recognize Israel's right to exist? :laughing:

I'm sure Iran and Syria are trustworthy authorities on this.

[​IMG]

Yea look at South Africa now. 5 million people work to support 30 million. There military has fallen apart. There a joke of a nation now. In fact its so bad they believe in another generation that they will be like every other nation on that continent. Poor and a shambles. Oh they also have a 70% tax rate. Yea big improvement. 

Elon Musk who is from South Africa was asked in a interview why he left South Africa to come to the US. Hes a modern day Tony Start...started Paypal, Tesla, Space-X. As much as he loved South Africa the place is teetering on the brink of ruin..already has by most accounts. The only place that could facilitate his ideas was USA. 

15. #16 SmokinP, Oct 18, 2013

According to this poll for one J.

[​IMG]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22624104

http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/bbc-poll-israel-among-world-s-least-popular-nations-1.525890

What are you saying Powerwiz ?

Are you implying that South Africa should have stayed an Apartheid state ?

Iran is the most negatively viewed, does this mean the Iranian people are bad? Of course not. The average person today has no idea of what is happening outside their little bubble, hence why people's perceptions of other countries are very skewed depending which side their media outlets take.

18. In reality no one cares man. Israel for a tiny ass nation is a economic juggernaut. Ideology is great but its the accumulation of wealth that is the goal for just about all 61/2 billion of us. When you have money much is forgiven. When you have none well it sucks. Usually the guy with none has issues with other peoples behavior. 

In fact there economy does nothing but draw the interest of other nations. Was reading that Apple is doing major business there. They bought some companies to provide them with product. Many others are doing the same. 

I don't think that is what he was trying to imply.

SA didn't collapse because of Apartheid, but because there was a small minority of people sustaining a majority of those who did not work.