Washington State MMJ Gutted?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Pie Romania, Oct 6, 2013.

1. The WA State Dept. Of Health and others are seeking to end Medical Marijuana in Washington as we know it. They don't like the fact that people can grow their own or go to dispensaries and donate @ $10 or less a gram when those prices will obviously crush their 3x taxed store buds. The state is going to be working with the federal government to eliminate any and all grows that might potentially decrease their profits. They're also trying to greatly reduce the "60 Day Supply" rule, personal and collective gardens, add taxes to MMJ, altering the approved conditions and more stringent documentation requirements, eliminating parental rights in some cases...the list goes on.

To my Washington State Medical Marijuana Patients on this site....we need to stand up and demand that MMJ stay and remain unchanged! If we sit back and do nothing, what we know now here in Washington may soon be a distant memory. WHEN I-502 FAILS, we will potentially be left with no legal way to acquire cannabis. Please read the link.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/172873835/WA-Dept-of-Health-MMJ-Workgroup-Recommendations

2. Also saw this in the comment section there...

3. #4 tstick, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2013
    But what people, in general, need to realize is that voters have spoken and made MMJ available to patients. Secondly, we now voted yes for recreational use. So, regardless of what they are saying we can't do, we are already doing light years more than anyone else in the entire country. LOTS and lots of changes are going to come and go throughout the finalization process and then will continue to evolve over time...hopefully. 

People have always grown marijuana illegally and they will continue to do so regardless of what bill gets passed or not. And, with that in mind, the relaxed attitude towards MJ will likely make any illegal busts rare and only geared toward the black marketeer types, imo. I don't think anyone is going to be sending out the dogs in WA state for marijuana, anymore. How can a cop hand out bags of Nacho Cheese Doritos at Hempfest turn around and bust someone for growing the same plant? The idea is to get away from busting people for pot -not creating new ways to bust them and fill up the courts and jails with needless wastes of time and money.

4. Medical marijuana needs be reformed now that recreational stores are opening. That being said, they should definitely not ban home-grows and coops, and probably start implementing stricter tax regulations.

But eliminating medical outright? That's ludicrous! Those councilmen are nothing more than hypocrites turning their backs on suffering voters while trying to appease the feds and recreational mj investors

Seems like you're being a little too dismissive here IMO. When the state and DEA start working together to stomp out any grows taking money away from the state or even any grows they can for that matter, we're going to be neck deep in bullshit. Yes, people will still grow illegally, but what we have come to know in Washington isn't going to be a reality for much longer. Prices are going to go up I bet. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of everyone having easy access to cannabis, however, the medical community is compassionate and goes out of their way for each other. I've experienced this first hand and am thankful for the people I have met within the MMJ community. The State is trying to ruin what we have and make sick patients who can't afford to pay $10,15, whatever a gram have to purchase from the I-502 stores. They want to merge the two systems. It's bullshit. I-502 wasn't voted in so they could wipe out Medical Cannabis. The State doesn't give a fuck about you or your illnesses....They know no compassion, only power and greed.

6. I don't see them completely eliminating medical cannabis. Medical marijuana in this state is really unregulated and they are seeking some regulation. Their intentions are to sort of nudge that state into creating medical marijuana business licenses.

I've seen these threads every year since 2009. It's always the same paranoia about dispensaries getting shut down. They are going to make some changes but they can't just eliminate a law that we passed over 15 years ago 

7. How does this affect legal recreational use?

I can already tell by the responses in here that people are going to be in for a rude awakening in Washington State. I hope I'm wrong. I hope things don't change at all for medical cannabis.

9. #10 Pie Romania, Oct 8, 2013

If medical cannabis is drastically changed or wiped out, that's going to wipe out a ton of cannabis. Supply and demand. Of course, there's always going to be illegal grows, but how hard the state and DEA go after those that are in violation of state cannabis laws is just a big question mark to this point.

If the state thinks people are going to buy at higher prices since availability outside of the I-502 shops is minimal, what's to stop them from driving them up to increase profits?

edit: Also (IIRC), I believe I heard that any cannabis on someone that isn't in the original, stamped packaging that from where it was purchased may still be targeted for illegal possession. Not sure on this though and how it's worded. Still, just because it's legal doesn't mean everything is going to be fine and dandy. If you plan to purchase from somewhere other than a state store, keep it at home....best advice I can give you at this point.

10. #11 LQ142, Oct 8, 2013

Things are going to change but it wont be as drastic as you make it out to be.

Pot makes people too paranoid. They are trying to regulate LARGE cannabis grows

The law that passed (I-502) explicitly states that there will be no changes made to the original medical marijuana law. Which doesn't mention anything about large grows. They aren't going to fuck with somebody growing 15 plants.

Sometimes you need to just slow down and relax. The world isn't ending. Things are going to be fine here in WA

11. Apparently the words "Eliminate or Reduce Home Grows" didn't get read? Anyway...

Issue 1: Reduce legal limits
    Issue 3: Pointed that out in the beginning of this post.
    Issue 5: For those who can't grow their own, if MMJ stays around, it's a big deal.
    Issue 6: Many patients have a hard enough time affording it as is. Even with "reduced" taxation, you realize that could be anything under the combined 75% total added at the 3 stages + the state sales tax?
    Issue 10: Posted the quote earlier in this thread about CBD only strains not being available according to the LCB.

I'm not one to argue on the internet. All I'm saying is that if you think this is just going to be like years past, you have another thing coming. The state didn't have so much to lose in last year, 2 years ago, 10 years ago. They are now going to be tightly invested in this and they're going to do what they can to make sure it's profitable for themselves. If they find someone who is taking their profits away, what do you think will stop them from nudging the feds that way? Keeps the state's hands clean, feds get to bust some growers....both sides of government are happy....

Believe what you want though. I'd rather be a little paranoid about MMJ being ruined and be wrong rather than not worried in the least and have it taken away without preparing myself.

12. I read everything you posted. I said multiple times that I know things are going to change. I'm not delusional about the situation, I'm just not as paranoid about it.

They aren't going to eliminate the law. They will make changes. I actually wouldn't mind if they made it more difficult to get a medical recommendation. It's way too easy now and 20 year old potheads that fake "chronic pain" to get their cards are ruining it for real patients with real medical conditions. 

Just because the DOH has supposedly established these goals doesn't mean that they will happen. 

13. Wish I could double like your post!

14. I agree to an extent, but at the same time, if there is little to no resistance from the people on this issue, What is to keep them from making major changes or eliminating it? If everyone takes your same stance thinking all will be Fine, What happens if/when you are wrong? If I am wrong, I am happy. Never wanted to be more wrong about anything. Expect the worst, but Hope for the best....a saying I carry with me in life. Better to have and not need than to need and not have....is another good one.

Sent from my HTC420 while being high as fuck!

15. IMO, if you live in WA and have a problem with what may come to pass, GET INVOLVED. Write letters, collect signatures, show the people who write the bills that govern your state that you will not stand for what ever is bothering you. Make a point to show how many people stand behind you. Posting here can even help, if you start recruiting. As far as I can tell OP, your pushing people away by saying your understanding is the only option and they better get ready for change. Instead, if your that worried, express your concerns and ask for support by requesting people to write a letter to your state reps or sign a petition... Remember, catch bees with honey, not hate!

16. Wasn't my intention. My intention was that as medical patients, we should not just sit back thinking all will be Fine. There are meetings going on regarding this matter. If anyone wants to get involved, message me and I will get the proper information sent out tomorrow. Good post by the way.

Sent from my HTC420 while being high as fuck!

17. #18 albuquerquegrowcfl, Oct 8, 2013
    Thanks for the like, I should note that I have interest here as I was raised in Spokane, Washington on the South Hill mostly on 14th st. Went to All Saints and Woodrow Wilson and a few other schools. Played at Manito and Cannon park as well as River Front Park and miss catching crawdads and golden rings at the steps and carousel!

Infact, chipped my front tooth at Manito Park sledding when I was about 7. Been to any good barter fairs lately?

18. Right freaking on man, GET INVOLVED PEOPLE!!!! Make it a fight your state reps can't win. WE THE PEOPLE!!!!!! WE ARE THE VOICE OF THE MANY,  AND CAN MAKE THEM LISTEN WITH EDUCATION AND WORK!!!!

19. I think there are going to be a lot of people bothering with the language of bills and amendments until Doomsday. That's what those kinds of people do. And, as money begins to flow, there will be more and more issues...because that's what money does. But, money, aside, marijuana is here to stay.

I love the dispensaries I go to, too. I hope I can continue to get what I need. but, you know, eventually, there's going to be another presidential election and things can always change.

I'm not ever going to run out of high quality MJ again as long as I live in Seattle. 

THIS!!!