Mist makers / Foggers

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by LemonHead24, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Right I'm looking into mist makers for my first grow as I'm not 100% comfortable with using a soil medium due to the problems than can occur using it and I don't want my efforts wasted but I have a few questions I need answering about them.

First up, is the idea to solely use a mist maker/fogger to feed the plants? i.e no hydroponic pumps? so no bubbling noises coming from a water pump leading to the discovery of my grow op. And second of all, is it necessary to use a float with them? obviously I see the logic in using a float with a mist maker but is it essential??

I have a 3.25 x 3 space, I plan to use a 400w mh/hps for the setup and would like it to be as silent as possible so the idea is to use either acoustic foam and/or acoustic boards along with acoustic intake/outtake fans & carbon filter (possibly rhino branded as I've heard they're great) with an acoustic box or two around the fans to eliminate any remaining sounds emitted.

After the initial grow I plan to already have some beans popping or some clones waiting to go into a homemade system similar to the one(s) shown in the video below as I feel it's a great way to utilize the small space I have and also so I only have around 6 weeks until my next harvest. Then I'll just start again from the start or see what I yield from each batch and go from there. All advice is much appreciated :D

2. Your not 100% comfortable with soil but you are 100% comfortable with hydroponic for your first grow ? Interesting ! I can help with silent soil but not silent hydro .

3. #3 walkie-talkie-waldo, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2013
    Yeah that's like ass backwards from anything I've heard. Soil is an easy grow man. Just put a seed in a pot and off you go. Now hydro is a whole different story. I have grow great weed in soil, but hydro has been a challenge. The noise isn't really that bad. I might start with soil for my first grow if I were you. And if you're gonna go hydro, you should probably use a system that will be a little more low maintenance than foggers or sprayers. Just my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  5. If you want, check out my rig.

I have been using foggers for over 4 years with great results.

There are caveats.

1. The supplied power supply is for shit. You need to get a real 24 volt transformer.

2. They will "burn out" after time so keep a spare or two handy.

6. I know hydro is unforgiving but the benefits appeal to me and also it's the convenience 

I am in two minds about it really, I was thinking about having 3 soil and 1 5gal pot with a fogger to start if i wasn't to go full hydro

I've seen some ones with a guarantee one and they 'promise' to last at least 5000 hours - might be worth a shot? 

7. #7 jollyrancher1, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2013
    I run my foggers 24/7.

5000 hours = 208 days.

I usually waste one a year, so that is about right.

Also, take into account that using a fogger (the way I do anyway) transfers almost 25 watts @ of heat into the soup.

I run a chiller, but without it the soup would overheat.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Here is an update on my fogger(s).

The caustic nature of the nutrient "soup" attacks the chrome and doesn't stop.

Here you can see the metal housing has been eaten away.

I have started to coat them with a chemically resistant two part epoxy. 

Attached Files:

9. UPDATE.

HYDRO HOUSE can supply a "mist maker" with an anti corrosion coating that is supposed to eliminate this type of damage and subsequent crop loss.

I am going to try a couple.

NOT ALL MIST MAKERS ARE THE SAME!

10. I got one of the plastic ones from China today.
    Well, I'd venture to bet they all come from China...
    I digress.
    I'll be testing it out over in my corner. You're more than welcome to see what happens.
    $3.50 sure beats what John gets at HH. Of course you'll need the power supply, but we've already got those.

11. #11 jollyrancher1, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2015
    Good luck with it.
    I am trying a new crop with the foggers from House of Hydro
    First I have to flush the entire system.

12. Ok, new crop and new foggers installed and seeds have popped.

I added some ammeters to monitor current draw of the foggers, about 600-700 ma@.

New foggers have the "corrosion resistant" coating Hydro House advertises and we shall see how it stands up to the soup.

One of the next comparisons will be a three head in one tank vs a single head in the other tank.

That should be a good test as everything else will be the same.

Attached Files:

13. Here is four days later.

The new foggers work!

Attached Files:

14. #14 crankz, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2015
    Killer!
    I've been running mine on a cycle timer. 3 mins on 3 mins off...
    It's been keeping the root mass pretty dense. fuzzy, and with lots of branching.

6 week progression to current

IMG_0701.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_0843.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1130.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1278.JPG  

• Like Like x 1
  15. Looks great.

Foggers are the way to go, but you have to be aware of the caveats.

• Like Like x 1
  16. UPDATE:

Had a problem and now in evaluation mode.

I reinstalled my epoxy coated foggers.

• Like Like x 1
  17. That sucks! What's the issue with the new ones?
    The plastic ones, I just got, seem to be doing great. They're only 16mm disks though, but I did find and order two 20mm plastic ones. $16 each. (I think I may have a problem with buying foggers...lol).
    Don't need the power supply, but couldn't find the 20mm ones sold without one. Guess I'll have spares. Not a bad thing, I suppose.

Anyway, I'll let ya know how those do when they show up.

18. My problem is the coating, which tends to dissolve and then the fogger does, then the crop dies from the contamination, even if you swap soup once a week.

If I can't get foggers that don't react, I am looking at just having the disc in the soup and sticking the electronics outside the tank.

House of Hydro is really great to work with, so I am sure a solution is at hand.

19. Yeah, John at HoH is a good guy. He's worked with me in the past.
    I kind of doubt that there's a method of just having the disk in the solution. The electronics are basically just a magnetic transducer and a conductivity switch (water sensor). I can't see separating the disk from the transducer. No way for it to vibrate then.
    You might want to check out some of the plastic ones I linked to in my post up there ^^, or I'll let you know how they work out.

Anyone that wants to follow along is welcome. [​IMG]

http://forum.grasscity.com/hydroponic-growing/1365...

20. #20 jollyrancher1, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
    The disc is the transducer.
    I ordered a few to experiment with.
    I have been familiar with piezo's for over 30 years.
    I was curious if the electronics needed shielding for RF as the frequency is about 2 meg hertz.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/191581487694?_trksid=p2060...