Calling all atheists

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Buymeamonster, Oct 4, 2013.

1. #1 Buymeamonster, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2013
    As much as I hate calling myself an atheist (mainly due to the negative connotation many give it), they are the closest I can relate to. Unless there is a "naturalist" religion or maybe I can just say I am independent, similar to my political views hah. Anyways, I want to know if other Atheists such as myself seek a spiritual life at all. For example, I do not believe in any deity that cares about my personal life, but I do admire the work of life. Not many people can deny how amazing nature is, and the way it works. I find spirituality through nature, mainly because if I were to write about God, I would spell him N.A.T.U.R.E. ...Anyways I also think everything is cause & effect. Even to the smallest scale. For example, by making this thread, I have stolen your attention for "X" amount of minutes, which will make you that much later at doing every task from here on forward. Thus altering the rest of your life. Of course the bigger the ripple the bigger effect, but bare with my example. This in turn has given me some feeling of being special so to speak, rather than believing in a deity which cares about every thought I make. Not to bash religions, I actually respect people who believe in a deity and wish I still did (former Catholic), but I just wish they would stop pretending that what they believe is FACT (I note that not all do). This may have been a rant, or a call out to hear what you guys think, but either way I believe that no matter what, this thread will have a butterfly effect. 

2. What's happened has happened. I'm agnostic so I try not to think about it, but if there is a god, maybe he wanted me to read this thread and delay my life for whatever reason. I really don't know. I spent almost all of my adult life contemplating a god. I just can't grasp the concept though. It could just be the idea of religion though. If when we die there's no concept of time, maybe it's plausible to me. I just think religious leaders are telling me what I want to hear though. That alone bothers me more than anything.

I drink too much though, so I have no idea what I'm talking about.

3. You sound like this,

Romans 1:25
    They gave up the truth about God for a lie, and they worshiped God's creation instead of God, who will be praised forever. Amen.

4. Yea I was an athiest for years until I found god and was healed physically and emotionally. Science was my religion and I believed in evolution. I subscribed to Bill Maher, Richard Dawkins, and all the talking heads. I'd reassure my beliefs everytime I thought about how effed up the world is with all the suffering and destruction, surely a just god wouldn't do such a thing. Religion is a word that's been demonized like the word pot, drugs, marijuana.. You don't need religion to find god, you need to get off your high horse, curb your intellect and humble yourself so you can open yourself up, otherwise you're already rejecting it because of your preconcieved notions therefore you won't move and inch because of your stubborness. Lookup topics about the occult and what they believe in then see for yourself what's really going on in this world.

What caused the very first cause?

6. I'm a nihilist, pretty much the opposite of this.

Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. There are levels and stages of Atheism awareness and knowledge.   Most people dumb down to what they've been taught, which is mostly incorrect information.  Atheism is an ongoing, lifelong pursuit.  There is a history of it which has been suppressed by organized religion, as well.   

It's almost like someone realized they were writing down bullshit, and then said "I predict someone will question this bullshit, but I predicted it so I am a prophet! Amen."

Holy shit mind fucked me there

Im a nothingist

10. They also predicted people would fall away from religion, men would claim to be Christ, Nations would move towards a world currency, A man called the anti-christ would come to power, Israel would build a third temple (http://www.templeinstitute.org) and that anti christ will sit in it and declare himself god. Let's see if it happens.

I remember a lot of people claiming Obama is the anti-christ. Maybe Obama will sit in it and declare himself God lol

Maybe I should get on a plane and fly to the temple and declare myself God and see if hellfire rains down upon us....

Good grief. :p

Jesus also predicted wars, famine, and earthquakes.

What a prophecy! How did he know that?!?!?! :D

I also predict belief will decline as education rises, and that more people will claim to be religious figureheads while creating cults, and I predict that the world will move further toward globalization even while the various nations attempt to continue their own sovereignty and currency.  I predict these things without the assistance (and perhaps even in contrary) of the opinions of others or the writings of literature.  So when these things happen, will I be a prophet?

A man called "anti-christ" has already come to power, but just because idiots call a guy the anti-christ that doesn't mean an anti-christ has come to power (or it would no doubt have been the case dozens of times over already).  If a temple that has been built twice was built a third time, I'm sure no one would see that coming, right?

The only thing you have here is that maybe a person "called the anti-christ" (by idiots) will place his buttocks on a surface inside a new temple.  I'd rather you tell us how we will know the "true" anti-christ, rather than just get ready to anoint anywhere Obama sits in a new Jewish temple the fulfillment of a prophecy.

I predict that earthquakes, tornados, and hurricanes are coming.  Watch for them, just before I arrive on a thunderbolt made of lightning.

15. I can't wait to see if this will be true. It's not likely, considering Paul and his followers expected to be taken up to the clouds in their lifetime.

But if Jesus comes flying at us from the clouds real soon, I can't wait to speak to the guy and get a few things cleared up by getting the truth straight from the horse's mouth.

At a minimum at least, atheists would cease to exist: "Jesus clears the air in exclusive interview with CNN, today at 5 pm."

The only relevant point here is close-mindedness. Atheists can be open-minded, just as theists can. Thus an atheist can become theist, and a theist can become atheist. I would argue that most atheists here on GC are open-minded, as it has been illustrated to me that most, if not all, do not reject the possibility of a god existing. Anything goes for most of us, but just because anything goes does not necessitate that we will become theists. Same for theists; just because they are open-minded does not necessitate that they will become atheist.

17. Laffizzle > You don't need religion to find god <  Okay, and so I told myself this for the last several years of my life, before dropping all the crap and going atheist, about 6 months ago.  {the song, "Your Own Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode" always comes to mind. I had built up a pretty good one for myself :) ..... But logic finally took hold of me.

Label me however you want. But I don't believe in anything super natural nowadays.
    On the other hand, I will keep a totally open mind. If I could find one tiny piece of hard evidence, I'd strongly consider it......

And one major difference between science and religion, is that science itself changes and evolves as info is gathered. Whereas, religion is set in stone. It is what it is. This explains why the Bible would mention preposterous things such as a 6000 yo Earth..... Uhhhh... okay.... And you see, 1500 or 1000 years ago, you could tell everybody the Earth was made... {well then they would have been saying 4500-5000}  and they would all believe it, because at that time, not enough scientific evidence had been discovered yet to dispute a few thousand year old earth.

Nowadays, any "logical person has plenty hard core info to know" that the Earth was made just a little bit longer ago, than 6000 years. At 4.5 billion years, the Bible was just a bit off. Kind of funny to see religious people try to twist words and numbers, so that it can all make sense..... and it still makes no freaking sense :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hey Laffizzle, it never dawned on me... I have often joked about one of the major differences in women vs. men, and that is, women will base decisions a lot more on emotions, "how things seem", or "how things feel", while men will make decisions based on logic, "How things are" supported by evidence and facts.

And suddenly it crosses my mind, religious guys have this trait in common with many women > My religion just "seems right"... it just "feels right" .......never mind that it makes no ef'ing sense whatsoever ;) LOL

End of rant :)

18. "I find spirituality through nature, mainly because if I were to write about God, I would spell him N.A.T.U.R.E."  Your on the right track, and your correct in some way.  I don't believe in any gods or religions, I believe in the concious everything.  The reason you find such contentment and purity in nature, is because you are nature and nature is you.  Stop seeing everything as being separate from yourself.  Your thoughts are not you, you don't control the thoghts that come up into your head, thats your SUBconcious.  YOU are the concious being to recognizes the thoughts, how you allow them to control or influence the real you (concious being) is a matter of meditation and realizing the truth.  The truth isn't extranal of the self.  You can't find it in a book or in the physical, you can't think of it because it's not a thought. 

This could help you tremendously if you understand fully what hes talking about and really ALLOW it to happen.  Allow being the key word.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdi1AQyyjNA

19. i'm an apatheist. i would be an atheist, but i think i'm getting to the point where i just dismiss the concept of a god once you ask for my opinion.

it's when stuff gets political, that i'm not so apathetic. but, when it comes to everyday life, i could give two fucks. i'm always gonna be concerned with everything in the here-and-now.

Holy shit.  I've watched Bill Maher before.  I've read Dawkins.  I even listen to the Talking Heads :laughing:.   Maybe I should curb my intellect and humble myself.  Maybe without any evidence whatsoever I should believe in some supreme being because you had a few similarities to me and shared them on a forum post.  :rolleyes:  

Come on man, spare us the bullshit.  We all can feel physical and emotional pain regardless of belief or lack of belief in deities and can find relief from that pain by then believing or rejecting an already preconceived belief.  Many also like, watch, and read people like Dawkins and Maher and are intrigued by science and accept that evolution obviously exists.  None of this has anything to do with the existence of gods, the occult, or any of the other nonsense you shared in this post.