Main- lining

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by Em8023, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Was just wondering what experience people have had with doing main-lining? how difficult was it to do an was it worth doing or can you achieve the same results from fiming an topping alone ?

2. yes you can get the same results from topping and lst, done it a few times

3. What's main lining? I have never heard of that term

• Like Like x 1
  4. I read the page you linked to but I still have no idea what the term mainlining means. They mentioned it a couple of times but didn't explain what it was

• Like Like x 1
  5. google.com

you're welcome

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. #7 GoldGrower, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2013
    I didn't think it was such a big question. All I asked was what did the term mean. I answer questions every day on here. I could say google it for every one. You know why I don't? Because this is a community that likes to chat about growing

• Like Like x 15
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I'm unclear as well.

• Like Like x 1
    from what I understand is all about topping just above the first set of node and pull the sides down and top again on the second set of nodes and again pull the sides down again and top a third time third time, so you start 1 top and then 2 then 4 tops and then 8 tops

you only keep the 8 main shots and get rid of all smaller shoots and all the fan leaves on the lower 80% of the plant in veg, flower and let it go, you then add a tom cage to hold the to 8 shoots in place and only get 8 large main shoots done it a few time before anyone called it main line,

9. Main-Lining Grow Journals - See Real Examples

Starting From Seed: Nugbuckets Grow Journal - 8 & 16 Colas

Main-Lining in a Cabinet - Picture Tutorial - Coming Soon!

About the Author: Nugbuckets

Frequently Asked Questions About Main-Lining

"Main-Lining"

The act of training a cannabis plant to form a "hub" or "manifold" off a single node, creating a center for equal energy distribution from the roots to each cola.

See that main-lined marijuana plant at harvest.... Nothing but huge, dense buds!

Hub: A place or thing that forms the effective center of an activity, region, or network.
    Manifold: A pipe or chamber branching into several openings, "the pipeline manifold"

The result of main-lining marijuana is an even canopy and bigger yields with little extra effort.
    No more larfy popcorn buds stealing energy away from the main colas!
    Here's a few more marijuana main-lining pictures so you can see what I mean about the effortlessly even canopy. Main-lining is effective for increasing yields both indoors and outdoors.
    Outdoors - Greater stealth & control

Indoors - Easy flat canopies & bigger yields with the same grow lights

Forward by Nebula Haze: Nugbuckets is a talented marijuana grower and photographer who pioneered the term "main-lining" to describe his technique for marijuana training.
    You can view his original set of posts about main-lining in their entirety here on Rollitup.org. You also don't want to miss his Nugbuckets' Lab thread where he posts additional pics and info about the main-lining technique as well as growing marijuana in organic soil.
    In the original Nugbuckets main-lining threads, you must scroll through hundreds of pages to access all the information he generously put out there for the growing community. I have taken his work on main-lining marijuana and condensed it into one easy-to-navigate single-page article. Please note that Nugbuckets is the owner of ALL his photos!
    I hope you enjoy this article and I encourage you to visit his original main-lining thread to offer your own support to Nugbuckets and let him know we are all interested in future growing information and pictures from him!
    Benefits of Main-Lining

Bigger Yields - With the exact same setup

Set It and Forget It - After the initial training done during the very beginning of the plant's life, you don't need to do much else to get the benefits of main-lining

Effortless Canopy Management - Colas tend to naturally grow to the same height

Fatter Colas - Each cola grows to a similar size and weight, simplifying the drying/curing process and producing fat, even colas

No More Larfy Buds - No small, leafy "popcorn" buds to drain energy away from the main colas

No More Uncontrollable Stretching - Because energy is distributed evenly among all colas, main-lining reduces the undesirable "stretch" of just some colas when plants first switch to the flowering stage - this stretch often causes height/space problems for indoor growers

Indoors - More From Your Grow Lights - Get bigger yields from the same grow lights and setup

Outdoors - Increased Control and Stealth - Gain greater control over the dimensions of your final plant (for better stealth and reduced chance of mold) and produce a more desirable and consistent final product

Here is a picture of Nugbuckets showing off the fat, evenly shaped colas he produced from one plant using the main-lining technique

(click pic for closup)
    Main-Lining is just a concept about builing a plant off a single node. You don't have to get everything perfect to reap huge benefits. Many growers do main-lining their own way, and still get the rewards as long as they build their hub / manifold off a single node.
    Main-Lining is an incredibly powerful way to gain complete control over your plants in small spaces, and also gives outdoor growers the power to control the size and shape of their plants for more consistent yields.
    One of the best things about main-lining is that it's a "front-loaded" process. Most of the work happens right at the beginning of the plant's life, during the first few weeks. After that you mostly get to lay back and reap the benefits.
    Set Up Your Hub / Manifold In the Early Vegetative Stage
    (take a few weeks at most, when starting from seed)

Then just sit back and allow plants to grow into this naturally efficient shape

Bonus: The main-lining technique can be adapted to produce plants that fit in almost any space

As you're growing out young plants, simply pay attention to building thick stems from a single node on the trunk, (aim for a high VCSA - vascular cambium surface area) to evenly deliver nutrients from the roots to each of your colas.
    That's it.
    It doesn't matter how a grower achieves this. This tutorial and all the examples should get you started, and I encourage you to adapt this technique to suit your own setup and growing style.
    The Theory Behind Main-Lining

Note: "Main-lining" is a name that was first coined by Nugbuckets. Nugbuckets says he is sure main-lining has been done before and it probably even has a name, but he just naturally started calling it main-lining and the name has stuck for growers around the world.

Main-lining is a form of plant training to help cannabis plants grow evenly, with only fat colas and no tiny "popcorn" buds that many growers just throw away.
    These tiny buds take away energy from the big colas. Many growers choose to "lollipop" their plants by trimming away all the lower growth, yet main-lining takes lollipopping to a new level, with better results and less wasted energy.
    What's the Difference Between Plain Lollipopping and Main-Lining?

With main-lining, you create a plant where every cola is exactly the same number of "steps" away from the roots. All colas originate from the exact same part of the marijuana plant, which naturally causes each cola to receive an even amount of nutrients and energy.
    As a result, plants grow with an even, flat canopy, which produces the best yields for indoor growers using grow lights. Many different training techniques can be used to produce an even canopy, yet main-lining seems to be one of the most effective technique for small-scale marijuana growers.
    With main-lining marijuana plants, the purpose is to build a "hub" off of a single node, creating a manifold for equal energy distribution from the root mass to the growing tops.
    This pic shows what i mean by "manifold" really well.......my little V-8! ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1381094030.346503.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1381094046.018148.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1381094063.367586.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1381094076.248418.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
    you are absolutely correct and I apologize for being a smart ass, but there's a lot of repetitiveness that goes on here. sometimes a simple search can give you a better answer and take you further into a subject of knowledge than you otherwise would get from someone just giving you a simplified answer to your question.

11. Thanks for the clarification guys. This is simply LST and topping to me. I don't understand the need for new growers to come up with a completely new and random name for every slight change. it's a bad name too, "mainline" suggests something like lollypopping to me, and this is the opposite. Just repeatedly topping for bushyness

12. I'm just on here to chat, knowledge comes with it but that's not what I'm looking for essentially. Whenever I hear of some "new" method of how to grow better I'm always disappointed lol. It's never new, it's just a new name for something people have always done but just called it by a more general term before

13. Now I just sound really old lol

14. I enjoy chatting :smoke:   just get cranky and short when I'm tired. I don't even use facebook I just surf the forum it's so much more stimulating and pleasing.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wow I defo won't be saying a word on here again after this , all I wanted to know if anyone who had done this was it worth doing, I didn't want to start a big fuss about it. I simply had never heard of it until I received a email with info about it so I just wondered what people had found from there own experience that is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. #17 CL4P-TP, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2013
    look , if you really want answers about a training technique, I'd suggest you post in the Plant Training  Forums, not the Cannabis Breeding forums.

and FTR I've asked for this thread to be moved to the correct forum now 3 times, in an attempt to get you some answers.

as GG has stated Main lined is just an LST method, that some growers with no prior growing or agriculture experience, has found  to work. that proof is anecdotal at best. Most of the info on this is over @ RIU, and being upped by a Banned member from here.

if you could make a "manifold" don't you think it would be common practice in like the tomato industry? I ask this as a past Super Cropper who regularly heard folks claiming how the supercropped node makes for more nutrient uptake. this only makes sense if the whole branch became enlarged IMO/E, but I'll be damned if the crazy ass supercropping followers will believe me, and I was one of the guys who pioneered that method AND have a professional Agri. background.

EDIT : and FTR. On these training teks, they're really only used by hobbyists ( not discrediting hobby growers! they rock and make for the soul & soul of cannabis growing IMHSHO .), as a 5K+watt grower just doesn't have time to play with each plant.

17. #18 joe 60, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2013
    been reading a lot about main-fold and I would like to give it a go, it looks a simple way to get lots of dank bud, can't see any problem with that

only flower a few plants at a time so I have loads of time to play with my plants

cl4p-tp not sure why you would post this (5K+watt grower just doesn't have time to play with each plant)
    if you have no time to play with each plant whats the point of joining this site as every grow would be the same.

The main reason for this site is for small growers (under 5k) to talk about how they can feed/train there plants
    if there any growers on here talking and showing a grow with more than 5kw of light, there dealers and taking a big risk being on here or just stupid imo if its not a legal grow

18. I've been experimenting with main-lining for a short time with five different strains and only one of the five was able to thrive under stress training and pruning in my system. My indoor system is a low-voltage hydroponic deep water culture which leads me to believe the other four strains may do well under HID lighting or soil. You should have the right strain for the right environment is my point. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yes I agree that this form of training works better with some strains than others after trying it on 3 different strains , at the beginning it looked like I had ruined them , not sure If I started to top and pull them down too soon or what but they really struggled for a long time before they began to grow again which added lots of extra time in veg for me . mine are in flower now so I'm not sure of the end results but there looking ok ATM we will see how they end up . Not sure I will do this again though

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum