Bong Seized Green tape

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by sometexan, Oct 2, 2013.

1. #1 sometexan, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2013
    Was waiting on my bong for the passed month and got this wonderful letter from the customs dept. The ''Green Tape Letter'' With a few pages of my ''options'' that I could choose from. Just curious as to what everyone else has done? I'm assuming just throw it away?

2. So they seized your piece in the mail and sent you a letter? What exactly happened?

3. I'm pretty sure its all normal procedure. The letter just outlines what they do to your bong/// your options if you'd like to challenge it in court ect They sent me a letter with green tape on it thats all that happens from what I've read. Just wanted to make sure. 

4. So they opened your package up to check for illegal items, then resealed it with green tape and sent you your piece? Or did they take the piece and give you a letter instead?
    If they did take the item, what did the letter say? Did they confiscate the piece permanently and say you could appeal to a court to get your item back or what?

5. They took the entire bong/bowl and the package. Then they sent me a normal letter with thin green tape on the back of the letter. I'm no lawyer but I think going to court to appeal something thats already illegal would be very foolish. But that option is available to you in the letter. Could someone post that has gotten green tape before? Is this inline with what everyone else gets? 

6. Well it's not illegal, it's a water pipe. So it is legal to have them and buy them. I have no clue why they seized the item. I bet someone at the department just needed some new glass.

7. Wtf I understand getting your seeds taken by customs and that's a risk we take but I would be livid of they confiscated a bong I just spent a few hundred on.

They are legal to buy and possess.

Fawk I'm mad and it didn't even happen to me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

8. I was afraid of this happening if I ordered a RooR from GC. I don't understand why they're able to confiscate them but I've heard of it happening. It'd be interesting to read the actual letter.

9. #10 mogwi411, Oct 2, 2013
    They are able to confiscate them because they are considered drug paraphernalia and thus illegal.

People can claim waterpipes are for tobacco use only and thus are not drug paraphernalia, in reality, the laws make it difficult to make this distinction.

US Code- title 21-chapter 13-subchapter 1-part D-863

"(d) “Drug paraphernalia” defined
    The term “drug paraphernalia” means any equipment, product, or material of any kind which is primarily intended or designed for use in manufacturing, compounding, converting, concealing, producing, processing, preparing, injecting, ingesting, inhaling, or otherwise introducing into the human body a controlled substance, possession of which is unlawful under this subchapter. It includes items primarily intended or designed for use in ingesting, inhaling, or otherwise introducing marijuana, <sup>[1]</sup> cocaine, hashish, hashish oil, PCP, methamphetamine, or amphetamines into the human body, such as-
    <span>(1) metal, wooden, acrylic, glass, stone, plastic, or ceramic pipes with or without screens, permanent screens, hashish heads, or punctured metal bowls; </span>
    <span>(2) water pipes; </span>
    <span>(3) carburetion tubes and devices; </span>
    <span>(4) smoking and carburetion masks; </span>
    <span>(5) roach clips: meaning objects used to hold burning material, such as a marihuana cigarette, that has become too small or too short to be held in the hand; </span>
    <span>(6) miniature spoons with level capacities of one-tenth cubic centimeter or less; </span>
    <span>(7) chamber pipes; </span>
    <span>(8) carburetor pipes; </span>
    <span>(9) electric pipes; </span>
    <span>(10) air-driven pipes; </span>
    <span>(11) chillums; </span>
    <span>(12) bongs; </span>
    <span>(13) ice pipes or chillers; </span>
    <span>(14) wired cigarette papers; or </span>
    <span>(15) cocaine freebase kits. </span>
    (e) Matters considered in determination of what constitutes drug paraphernalia In determining whether an item constitutes drug paraphernalia, in addition to all other logically relevant factors, the following may be considered:
    (1) instructions, oral or written, provided with the item concerning its use;
    (2) descriptive materials accompanying the item which explain or depict its use;
    (3) national and local advertising concerning its use;
    (4) the manner in which the item is displayed for sale;
    (5) whether the owner, or anyone in control of the item, is a legitimate supplier of like or related items to the community, such as a licensed distributor or dealer of tobacco products;
    (6) direct or circumstantial evidence of the ratio of sales of the item(s) to the total sales of the business enterprise;
    (7) the existence and scope of legitimate uses of the item in the community; and
    (8) expert testimony concerning its use. "

So most lhs protect themselves  useing e-1, 2 (they put tobacco use only stickers) and also 5, as most headshops have a tobacco license and sell cigs.  But pretty much the term water pipe is under the definition of drug paraphernalia.

I wouldn't fight it.  Just take the loss and move on.  Order your next piece within the US or go to a local shop.

And just a FYI, never listen to stoners giving you legal advice unless they are also lawyers.  IMO, the false information out there regarding legal issues is dangerous.  I always try to find a legit reference when I'm unsure.  You can also find a lawyer by checking the NORML site to help answer any questions you might have.

10. #11 sometexan, Oct 2, 2013
    Yes I agree. Just wanted some feedback from you guys. As for my response I'm not sending them anything. I'll gladly eat the money as I've discovered a great US headshop. I was more mad then paranoid spent 1.5 months waiting. 

11. if you ignore it they will consider the goods abandoned and destroy it.

unless you are bigtime they will not take further action.

this is the risk anytime you import tubes 
    doesnt matter if its from China, india, or germany to customs its the same thing.

12. Was this a order from GC?

13. Cuz I think theres a liability or somthin in thier policy if Customs takes it

Yeah thats what I'm figuring. I'm by no means big time. 

15.  No sorry to mislead it wasn't. I just lurk on these forums alot. and yes I believe if ordered from GC you can take a pic of the letter and they will resend?(I think)

16. #17 Rollie Fingers, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2013
    Just curious then.....what site was it? Cuz it sounds like I dont wanna order anything from this place, and Im sure other fellow blades would wanna know too?

I think its against the rules to post other sites so jus dont put the link, jus the name

17. it really doesnt matter where you order from
    it is on your local homeland border and protection to search and seize the goods.

it has not relation w/ the shipper it really depends on the receiver - so maybe u should be asking the OP what city he lives in =)

18. #19 Rollie Fingers, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2013
    Some companies mail discreet n others dont. If I saw something coming from PuffPuff etc compared to ALT......which one you searchin cuz you cant search everyone. Im always makin sure I dont tip nobody off...mail man, UPS, FedEx etc. I read privacy policies n what not before I buy anything online. FYI.....Fed Ex is the worst