can someone convince me that the healthcare act is a good thing? what is so great about it?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by letsmokeasweet, Sep 29, 2013.

I don't think the causation/correlation is there.

As nations become wealthier, crime usually begins to decline at a steady and predictable rate.

As nations become wealthier, governments typically begin spending towards, or increase spending towards, social programs and the list of entitlements grows as time goes on.

The trend towards greater wealth and an increase in social programs and a decrease in crime doesn't mean that there is an inverse relationship between the two factors.

2. doesn't Japan have one of the lowest crime rates in the world?

Granted idk much about their government but I do know they aren't the richest country in the world.

-yuri

3. he is saying that healthcare costs are going to rise. That is related to obamacare. He is also suggesting that the programs that caused health costs to rise, are similar to obamacare implying that obamacare will also cause increased healthcare costs.

Obamacare sounds good on paper, but if the costs rise to more than prelaw, it defeats the purpose.

Healthcare will still be the number one cause of bankruptcy

-yuri

4. #624 garrison68, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
    Everything gets more expensive, it's always been that way.   The actual number of people on the Obamacare exchange market is very low, something like 5% if I'm not mistaken.  I believe that the reason the prices for everyone else's health care has risen, is the changes that some see as improvements such as no lifetime caps, no rejection for prior conditions, other medical tests for preventative purposes, etc.   I've had better insurance than Obamacare, in the past, but lost it when the jobs disappeared.   Since then, America sank to last place in the industrialized world for health care.  Now, at least we have a chance of competing somewhat.  We should be number one, and should never be satisfied until we are.  But last place, as we have been for over a decade?  That is totally unacceptable.    

It hink Japan's lack of crime is more of a cultural phenomenon. Their crime rates have been steadily decreasing during times of economic surplus and stagnation/recession.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Again this is very misleading and not true. We are not last place in healthcare. We are first. ...we are last place or 30 or whatever at subsidizing health cost among industrialized nation's. ...garrison68 either knows nothing about or shows little regards for a sustainable system that promotes innovation and affordability. But instead chooses to line the pockets of insurance companies, all while protecting them and the medical community from competition which drives a better cheaper product for customers. The economics of this seems to fly straight over so many people's heads its mind numbing. Instead we are to argue the savings from possible health concerns thst very few in America ever realize. It seems he and a lot of people don't realize how insurance works, how it it's basically a ponzi scheme. There has to be more paying in then taking out.....think about this for one second. The insurance companies have made a calculated risk banking on the fact that a lot more people will pay for services they won't need EVER. And they have made a killing because the American public is healthy and continuing to live longer happier lives. Now they have the power of the gun to force everyone into this system. The 20% that gain from this (garrison68) are doing so at some, most of our expense. There just isn't any other way to look at it. But remember when he says we are in last place in healthcare it's not medicine, technology, services, availability or innovation...... its free shit he wants or a discounted price at our expense for his perceived fairness.

7. The above is, as usual for this person, all wrong.  He apparently does not believe in anything that has to do with our society which includes government, taxes, insurance, market watch and regulation for industry and the stock market, democracy, the monetary systems we use, the list goes on and on.  It is impossible to write anything that any reasonable person would agree with, without him totally rejecting it.   

When he says that I do not know anything, he's talking about 98% of the population.  [​IMG]

8. Japanese put more into morality, traditions and discipline than most cultures but still the analogy imo holds. Japan is a rich country as far as living standards go. I would also like to add ownership into the equation. First owning ones self and actions leads to self worth, and owning land or ownership in general brings about personal responsibilities, naturally. Ownership changes peoples time preferences in a way where they start to look beyond themselves and at a bigger picture. I plant trees today in land I own that I wont fully get to enjoy because of a limit in my time left. But because of ownership and me being able to pass this along to my loved ones and the people I choose I look beyond myself. ...naturally. the same works opposite, if I dont own anything and can't lose its all a gain at others expense who do own and have. This raises time preferences, to which people have a fuck it mentality. Where personal responsibilities and worth are eroded and crime goes up. Wealth is a huge factor in crime but so is ownership.
    Ps if you take what I said and apply it to a government (say democracy) youll see how people's (politicians) time preferences and personal responsibilities shift because they dont have to answer down the road for their mistakes.....lack of ownership

9. Everything actually always gets cheaper, it's always been that way until 1913.....I wonder what happened then?
    Garrison68 things always got cheaper and I challenge you to find out why prices drop, raise or stay the same. There is a reason.

10. MrRaider does not agree that we were in last place for healthcare, he claims we're number one.  This goes against scientific studies that have been carefully done, and reviewed by medical authorities and statistical experts from all over the world - many of whom would love to be able to disprove this very bad news.  Hell, I'd like to disprove it and think that it was wrong - but I can't and from the looks of it, nobody can.    

11. Unfortunately you are probably right about the 98%..
    Your right though I don't seeca use for a monopoly of force over a given area or government like you call it. Taxes? I call them theft. Insurance? If private and voluntary absolutely. Market watch and regulations for the market and industry? Wtf do you think im so against government? And for free market influence? Because its the only way to bring about true regulations on industry. Democracy? Ewww yuck a complete disaster, hate it! And finally the monetary system we use.......omg yeah its the driving force for every thing wrong with government imho. Its the biggest scam ever pulled of and probably the single biggest thing I disagree with. ...EVER. so yeah garrison68 of agree with this statement of yours.
    But remember I want a safe and prosperous society of individuals. Just like you I just don't want yours see ;)

12. Oh, some are cheaper, such as imported stuff from China, where pay a fraction of the amount for labor - but even their prices eventually go up, maybe not to the levels of prices for things made in the United States, but it happens.  

13.   Thank you for admitting that you are not in agreement, about many things, with 98% of the population.   

I know, after years of reading your posts, where you stand on most of this stuff. 

There is no community that has put into place what you suggest.  Must be very frustrating to be so alienated from the world. 

Nothing a little voluntary slavedom can't remedy [​IMG]

15. The fraction we pay for their labor is 10x what they got without our wants for there services. Do you think that for every child working in a sweat shop, that there dad is sitting at home watching a 50 inch tv getting free health care? How does this work in your eyes my friend? Why do parents make there children work? are they just mean people? Do the parents not work too? Why do they work in conditions we view as non workable? Is there a better alternative for them? And finally do laws like abolishing child labor work, is it the reason why it doesn't exist here? Or is it more production and more wealth in needs and wants? How does this work in your way of thinking?
    How do you keep a happy meal under 10 bucks and pay the person making it 20? Please enlighten me

16. I'm neither approving or, or condemning, child labor, sweat shops, other cultures, etc.  I was just pointing out one of the reasons costs can go down, under certain circumstances.  I'm not moralizing or criticising it at all.  I'm just as guilty of buying products that are made in China and other third world countries as anybody.  

17. Yes at times it does get frustrating. But mostly I keep it to myself and plug along. It's when my daughters dr bill goes from a couple thousand dollars in her 15 years of existence to almost 4 grand a year that I start to bitch at anyone willing to listen (which is why im here :) ). Btw I have plenty saved for her and my mishaps if need be, all through hard work, wise decision and thrift. I don't need someone saving for me, I can do it myself. Honestly I lose money if people hold mine. I have a knack for turning one dollar into two through my daily dealings tradable services and associations with people I know and meet. I don't need a nanny, I don't need a authority figure over me constantly. What I need to be even more happier is to be left alone to do as I choose. Im not violent, I offer lots to lots of people. Im generous, im quick to volunteer and contribute what I can. But I ask little and only if I truly need it. And I expect nothing from anyone plain and simple.

18. Yes, the Mises and Austrian economists are chomping at the bit to take privatization to the next level, and bring back indentured servitude and voluntary slavery.  They'll pay for medical maintenance for their subjects, at least enough to keep them alive until the contract is almost over, then they can work them to death - which is often what happened in the days of old.   Slaves from Africa often got treated better, they were all owned outright, not subject to freedom after a servitude contract ran out, and therefore were more valuable.     

19. Why do you feel guilty? I dont. The child is working and eating now. They are better off than before and we aren't paying for entitlements and fees. If you believe so deeply in the society we run and you promote how can you buy from a non unionized worker owned business? Its got to be frustrating? ;)

20. #640 garrison68, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015
    Even if we wanted to, it's almost impossible to totally avoid buying products from China and other third world nations.  Yes, bad labor union policies, is a problem, but so is greed in the corporations.  They're both to blame for the loss of jobs and manufacturing in the United States.   

The worst thing, in my opinion, is the dependence on oil from the Middle East.  If we have to boycott somebody, that should be the place.    I'd LIKE for them to be our partners and allies, and yes we are responsible in part for many of their problems and resentment, but it's not totally our fault.