can someone convince me that the healthcare act is a good thing? what is so great about it?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by letsmokeasweet, Sep 29, 2013.

1. The health industry is a joke. I used to pay almost 300 a month for insurance. One day I decide to go to the emergency room to get a tetanus shot after I stepped on a rusty nail. At 2 am nobody else there I was in the waiting room for 30 minutes, saw the doctor for 5 got a shot some pills and than the bill in the mail. It cost 2300 for me to be there, and I had to come out of pocket 700$. After that I canceled my insurance and haven't had any since. I looked it up and I would pay 200 a month for insurance with Obamacare now.

People always brought up how much money the oil and tobacco industry gave in political contributions..but the health industry gives more than double that. This is just to get politicians paid the same way Bush and the republicans did with oil.

2. I just read through this thread again to make sure I didn't miss any of your posts. Besides opinion and conjecture, the only thing I could find about "seeing what this is doing first hand" is the number of employees at your health care facility and the wait time it took you to go from admitting to your room and you than extrapolating from your experience that in the future it will be even worse. You might be right. You might be wrong. Comparing the future implementation of a program to the DMV isn't really...Well, reality. Is NASA like the DMV? Medicaid?

Your anecdotal experience isn't going to be representative of everyone. For instance, Friday morning I decided to take my 12 year old to the clinic because he hadn't been feeling well (it turned out to be strep throat). I called the clinic at 1 pm. We had an appointment at 2:30. Got there at 2:29 and was in the room being seen by 2:35. Was out after treatment with a prescription by 3:45.

Since the AMA hasn't been enacted yet, until January 1st we won't know what the next chapter of this grand experiment will be.

3. #223 lilro, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2013
    I am interested in the experience of others who have to deal with this. I know my experience isn't representative of everyone. Which is why I asked for other people's views. Duh. If all you have to offer is web links and how Obamacare SHOULD work, rather than how it's ACTUALLY working (yes, there are parts of it that are active right now), then your opinion is not needed.

I'll add what I learned today. Patients receiving surgeries are being discharged far faster than they're supposed to. People getting hip surgeries are shipped out with painkillers the next day rather than receiving the physical therapy they are supposed to receive. The doctor that was being honest with me told me it was because it saves money. The rising costs are causing people to receive fast food-style healthcare. I can imagine when Jan 1 hits and there are millions of more people in the pool, it will get much worse.

I'll have another report tomorrow.

The DMV comparison is valid. Maybe I should've said Social Security Office? County Building?

Last time I checked, NASA does not provide a service to the public that involves waiting in line.

4. #224 FenceWalker, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2013
    For the record, I didn't put any links into my post. The forum does that automatically (livelinks) when certain keywords are typed.

Please enlighten me on the parts that are active right now? I was not aware of that and am always willing to learn.

Oh, and your opinion on my opinion being needed or not? Really not your call but thanks for the input. ;)

5. You're free to post your opinion in the thread. That's not what I meant. What I meant was, I was asking for other people's recent medical care experiences, and if you don't have any, then quoting my post is unnecessary. I know you didn't put any links, that was more of a general statement. Like I said, I'm curious of the real-word effect this is having on people.

Many employers have already made changes to their businesses regarding Obamacare (whether misguided or not). I am curious to hear the stories from the people that have been effected. As for what's already been enacted:
    http://obamacarefacts.com/health-care-reform-timeline.php

Sorry for any confusion. I know some of my posts are slightly hostile, but they aren't all like that. I promise.

6. What, I've been in the Mars line up for decades now ...

7. Early discharge for hip surgery could be a better way of doing it.  Maybe before they kept patients longer because they made more money.  I'm sure there's research on what the best practices are.

8. Well you've just proven my point. I'd rather not wait decades for a heart transplant.

9. it was a joke!

i feel you. my problem is that they used the whole medical industry as a means to creat more ways to grow the goverment. they used it and trick the people into thinking they were going to "change" it into a good thing

instead they take it to the suprem court and say that it is a tax

i wonder how much your er bill would be if it was a year from now or when ever the healthcare is going full force

will it be cheaper or will it be more expensive???

plus how much will your out of pocket cost be?

i hope to think the ama wont influence how the doctors office visit goes

its your doctors personal desicion over how long his or hers paitants wait and are seen.
    the staff controls the flow of the office

if they suck or if they are great, dosnt mater what the goverment tells them what to do
    or how long they have to see a paitiant

if my doctor sucks and i have to wait 2 hrs everytime to see him, i am lookign for someone else

if i am being seen right away, i am a happy customer and i dont have a reason to shop around...not yet anyways

whatever happened to customer service?????????

13. http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/04/18/consumerwatch-some-covered-california-patients-say-they-cant-see-a-doctor/

Clairvoyance or common sense?

14. This is a red herring garrison.

We just dont think socialized medicine is the answer

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. #235 Arteezy, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2014
    It was great for health insurance companies and the politicians who will receive campaign contributions from those health insurance companies for supporting the ACA.

16. It's so good that they have to force people to sign up under threat of extortion and imprisonment. What a great piece of shit, I mean legislation.

17. Actually, socialized medicine is not the ACA, but it's better.

The fact remains, we are in last place among the 37 industrialized nations, for health care.   Many of those countries have Socialized medicine.  

18. Obamacare is NOT HEALTHCARE, it is insurance that will lead to two types of healthcare, the good stuff cash only or the depleted and broke public medical system. You ABSOLUTELY CAN BE TURNED DOWN. Infact, as the law rolls out, you will see examples of how bad the law is EG: my Nieghbours daughter has just turned 26 she lives at home and is no longer covered by dad. She makes 18k per year but has premiums of 800 a month...why, because the law sates that her household income will determine her rates and in this case, they include her parents income, making her not eligible for a subsidy . Here is another great prob that we won't see until tax season next yer: we have subsides calculated based on income. However, if you buy from the federal exchange, then your are not eligible for a subsidy and thus you will get a huge bill next year. This is not known yet becuase, like the cancellations in September , no one is reporting it until it happens. But in reality, the ACA was designed to fail and do so very fast as Obama really wants single payer and on his watch. If we don't get DIRTY HARRY" and his gang out of congress in November, we will see a huge recession that will cripple our economy and end private medical practice AND innovation here in the USA

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

19. #239 Delightfully High, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
    So i missed the part as to why I'm being forced to pay for something I don't want (regardless of if I need it)? I make less than $15,000 a year (I also have a child on the way I have to support) and am "not eligible for assistance" according to healthcare.gov (but if I made $15,000 per year I'm "eligible for assistance" so technically I have to be richer than what I currently am to be "eligible for assistance") and am also not eligible for medicaid ,so I guess according to obama ,the upper middle class ,and the rich I'm just fucked?

20. #240 garrison68, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
    Edit - I don't know, I think it depends on where you live.